Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,632,142 times

Advertisements

kiggy, Ruth's pdf floorplan is good stuff...her 'casita' basically takes the place of the golf cart mini garage and the 'den' next to it.

We have a few houses in our neighborhood where buyers have chose than version vs golf cart and den.

Ruth: congrats! You will discover lots of things to do/modify/change in your new house, I suspect.
Hard to resist.

Hope the walk through goes well, as does the warranty fixes.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 PM

118 posts, read 182,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
kiggy, Ruth's pdf floorplan is good stuff...her 'casita' basically takes the place of the golf cart mini garage and the 'den' next to it.

We have a few houses in our neighborhood where buyers have chose than version vs golf cart and den.

Ruth: congrats! You will discover lots of things to do/modify/change in your new house, I suspect.
Hard to resist.

Hope the walk through goes well, as does the warranty fixes.
GL, mD
Thanks mD, We are so excited!!

The casita option actually extends the golf cart garage out a few more feet - that's where they pick up the extra space. You still have the den, and you can also convert the den to another bedroom, which we did. So we end up essentially with 5 bedrooms (which includes the casita as bedroom 5) with the options we chose.

I will use the casita for my art studio, my husband will use Bedroom 2 overlooking the lanai as his office, and then bedroom 3 and the converted den into bedroom 4 will be for guests. All of that is on one side of the house. And that leaves the other side of the house as master bedroom suite down the entire length of the house. We'll have privacy and our guests will have privacy and the work spaces for my husband and I will be far enough away from each other at opposite ends of the house that we won't annoy each other - LOL!

This truly was the best plan for us that they offered. And it was a good value too when you consider how you can use all that space.

Ruth

Old 02-27-2015, 08:37 AM

Ruth, Thanks for the correction...I was going off the floor plan and the one house I have been in that has that 4th bedroom/casita deal.

If you haven't already met the roving 'warranty person', seek him out and get cozy/friendly, as he will have considerable swag to 'get stuff done' post move in. Maybe not necessary, but a little friendly sales pitch will get him on your side vs the not uncommon arm wrestle process.

I still don't get how most big company house builders in SW FL offer a '1 yr warranty' for a $300-$500G house, but my wife's $27G Hyundai, (or pick a brand), comes with 4-5 years of 'warranty' on an equally complex 'machine' that moves.

Our Boretto has the 2nd spare bedroom absconded by my CEO for her studio, I hang out in the 'den', and the regular spare bedroom is for company. Works well. The master side is a bit oversized imo, esp for us as seasonal.

NEway, good luck on your new home.
BR, mD

Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the tips mD!

And I wanted to say that I absolutely love the art quilt made by your wife. It is spectacular! Some of my artwork is fiber based and quilt based. Part of the "moving to Florida" dream is that I will be able to become a full time artist. Been a long time coming. I even think about opening a studio/gallery one day, which is why we chose Bradenton - it has the Village of the Arts where I could get a piece of property one day to convert to a gallery. When I see a piece of work like your wife's I get very inspired. Please pass on my admiration for her work!

Ruth

Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM

Ruth,
Thank you for the props...I will pass them on.

Gallery: good luck. Very tough biz. My CEO has some of her more 'commercial'/less pricey work in a couple galleries back in our summer western NC area, and has had stuff in a couple of FL galleries. The galleries tend to take 40-50% and want stuff that moves. But gallery rents are tough and sales are seldom what a gallery owner 'needs', imo.

She does a half dozen commission works a year, which is bigger dough, but bigger 'pressure' to suit the client, whom often times doesn't really know what they want.

A quick look at some of her work via her Flickr page; shot by me, for effect and viewing rather than 'selling':
https://www.flickr.com/photos/veronica_vonzwehl/

A couple of her works, in situ, here in our Boretto house:

Old 02-27-2015, 11:18 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,845,188 times
Would love to see your pics, MotorDave, but it's just showing x's for me. :-(

Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM

WOW! Her work is stunning. So inspired.

I also love seeing how you have set up your Boretto. Very beautiful - it could be a model! Makes me even more excited.

Totally understand how challenging the business end of a gallery can be. I envision a place that is a working studio and classroom and gallery and artist-in-residence quarters. The properties in the Village of the Arts could allow for all that. I currently work for a nonprofit arts organization that has a gallery and education center (in addition to a retail store and many other programs), so will have experience to draw on. My position is in marketing so I would understand how to market it, which is critical. I may decide I am perfectly happy just being an artist in my little home studio without adding on the work of the other vision, but will see how it all feels in a couple years. The important thing is, that we are charging ahead into this next phase of life with so many new experiences in front of us and a chance to explore new opportunities. That's a wonderful place to be!

Thanks for sharing all those photos. Beautiful home and beautiful art!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:08 PM

kiggy, you might have browser settings that prevent it. (I know that sounds like Microsoft or any site's 'fixes', lol!)

Shows for me on all devices here, Ruth could see them, and when I post in the photo board of CD they are always viewable, too.

Try right clicking on x, and open or show picture.
GL ,mD

Old 02-27-2015, 02:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,965,938 times
totally agree--home is lovely--and I like the tile laid square vs diagonal FWIW--seems more peaceful...

Old 03-18-2016, 09:29 AM
WYC

1 posts, read 543 times
I thought this might interest some of you after reading this forum. Over two years later after a new construction at the Westshore Yacht Club by WCI, I still have over 60 issues and many of them serious. I am taking some time this weekend to document all of them here.

It seems as though many of you have had the same experience as I have - and I know many here have so many home issues.

Would love to know of any similar experiences to mine - I've already had THIRTEEN A/C outages, electrical issues, water intrusion, mold, etc. You name it, it's happening.

I will post more this weekend including pictures. All plumbing is corroding as well.

[url]https://krisfannin.com/westshore-yacht-club-wci[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area