Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM

18 posts, read 28,775 times

Advertisements

I have kind of drug this thread into a couple of different directions.

My options are kind of open regarding the area, or so I've been told by my company in the last couple of days.

Another option has been opened is St. Pete. This seems like it would appeal to me more than Venice, but is it much better than Bradenton? I guess it's hard to determine what's better because everyone has their own opinion and personality, but how does it compare to Bradenton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
I have kind of drug this thread into a couple of different directions.

My options are kind of open regarding the area, or so I've been told by my company in the last couple of days.

Another option has been opened is St. Pete. This seems like it would appeal to me more than Venice, but is it much better than Bradenton? I guess it's hard to determine what's better because everyone has their own opinion and personality, but how does it compare to Bradenton?
St Pete is a lot different. It's pretty much part of the one big metro Tampa area. Bigger city, more crowded, more traffic, less open space(by far). It has more restaurants/things to do, many more jobs nearby - not only in St Pete but also Tampa, Clearwater, etc. Also it's got more young folks, some areas with a hippy/trendy vibe. It's very close to Tampa and all the city life there. Although you can stay in St Pete and have all the city life you would ever need, IMO

It's in Pinellas county which is a large county with many Tampa suburbs, St Pete being the largest city in the county. It has beaches but also many areas inland. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than Bradenton, just very different. If you are more into city life/things to do/trendy areas, then St Pete might be better for you.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM

913 posts, read 2,364,194 times
Comparing Sarasota to St Pete is a little like comparing Lexington to Louisville. Sarasota and Lexington are going to have more cultural activities. St Pete and Louisville will have the younger, hipper vibe. IMO Sarasota compares very well with Lexington. Both tend to have higher housing prices than surrounding areas. Both have many cultural activities. Both downtowns are walkable at night and vibrant.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Update!

So I accepted the position in Bradenton. I've been in Punta Gorda since Tuesday. I thought I had a condo lined up in Holmes Beach, but it fell through. People with my company say there are only a few decent/good areas in Bradenton, and have mentioned that I look around - Sarasota, Ellenton. I'm trying to stay under $1000 with a 1-2 bedroom. The condo was directly on the bay for $850 for a 1bd so I'm very disappointed.

I'm looking for a nice area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I start Monday.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,132,752 times
Quote:
Update!

So I accepted the position in Bradenton. I've been in Punta Gorda since Tuesday. I thought I had a condo lined up in Holmes Beach, but it fell through. People with my company say there are only a few decent/good areas in Bradenton, and have mentioned that I look around - Sarasota, Ellenton. I'm trying to stay under $1000 with a 1-2 bedroom. The condo was directly on the bay for $850 for a 1bd so I'm very disappointed.

I'm looking for a nice area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I start Monday.
You are going to have to up your budget for a two bedroom in a nice area. One bedroom maybe.

I've never even heard of a waterfront in Sarasota for that cheap.

Did you look in the University area?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You are going to have to up your budget for a two bedroom in a nice area. One bedroom maybe.

I've never even heard of a waterfront in Sarasota for that cheap.

Did you look in the University area?
The waterfront was on Holmes Beach on AMI.

We're perfectly fine with a one bedroom.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,152,767 times
Quote:
The waterfront was on Holmes Beach on AMI.

We're perfectly fine with a one bedroom.
There's an apartment complex on Perico Island ~ the name has changed but you can probably google apartment Perico Island & see if it pops up. Good luck, I don't have much to say for Bradenton so I will keep a lid on it.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,152,767 times
It's Perico Apartments on Bristol Bay Drive, Perico Island. I lived there when we first moved to Bradenton in 1991; worth a try as it's one of the best locals to be in if you're not on Anna Maria.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,559,548 times
I live in southern Manatee county and have a Bradenton address. Bradenton, like most older towns, has a few neighborhoods that seem to have a majority of the issues, but much of the area consists of older, reasonably priced homes mixed with lots of condo communities in the western portion (except near the water, which is more expensive) and new construction neighborhoods to the east (such as Lakewood Ranch).

The cheaper condo rentals will be in west Bradenton as those are older complexes. You might try Villages at Townpark in Lakewood Ranch for a one bedroom, Sabal Key on 45th is another newer community that has a lot of rentals. Palm Aire on University and The Meadows south of University in Sarasota also have quite a few one bedroom condos that sometimes come up for rent. Both beautiful communities that get little publicity.

There is a new apartment complex that is just starting to lease units at I75 and SR70 -- Ranch Lake Apartments. Prices start at $1000 a month for one bedroom apartments.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,109,954 times
The snow birds will be going home soon. Things will open up then. You can probably get an April through Dec lease pretty reasonably. People who rent to snowbirds want the high Jan-Mar rent and don't like year leases, but are real happy to have someone who wants to rent just for the off season.

You said you wanted to rent for a year before you bought. Since you are planning to buy, if you can make up your mind quicker than a year, then a shorter lease should work for you.

You should be able to find something on a shorter lease if you can wait a month to 6 weeks to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area