Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 PM

67 posts, read 100,631 times

Advertisements

Private well in North Port. Softener previously installed. Water hardness is around 0-2. TDS (total dissolved solids) is high at 530 ppm. We sent a water sample into Home Depot Home Services and this was their findings.

We now have a 'technician' scheduled to come out next week to give his sales pitch. I know what kind of sales pitch is coming too. Maybe $6000 worth? LOL.

I know there are other systems out there. Any recommendations based on personal use? Whole house, under sink?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 PM

23 posts, read 35,251 times
You actually want a high pressure sales pitch in your home? I practically had to throw these guys out. Why not just buy a system from HD and have a plumber install it?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 AM

285 posts, read 639,524 times
If you already have a water softener, then all you really need is a reverse osmosis system in your kitchen for your drinking water. I'd give Culligan a shout, probably cost about $1000-$1500 depending which model you get. Also probably want to have him hook a line to the refrigerator if possible so you can have pure ice & chilled water every time.

I made the mistake of letting a high pressured water technician into my home, not from Rainsoft but from another company. First it was $6500 but if I purchase today he'll sell the system for $5000, LOL.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,749 times
If your just a little bit handy you can buy an under the sink R/O system at lowes for under $200 and install it yourself. I think it took my hubby 15 minutes to install ours. From there you just change the filters periodically. It's just as good if not better than bottled water.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 PM

67 posts, read 100,631 times
I am gathering all the info that I can to make the best decision for our water needs. I WON'T let some two bit 'salesman/technician' talk me into a $5000 system. I WILL get as much info out of him/her as I can then see what he/she recommends.

What does concern me a bit is the high dissolved solids in the water. The EPA recommends drinking water to be between 0-50 solids ppm. We'll end up with some type of filtering system for that for sure. But I don't know if the high solid contents adversely affects laundry, showers, etc.

I know that there are some homes in the North Port do have a whole house filtering system. Is that overkill? I don't know.

Lowes sells various types of water filtering systems made by Whirlpool. One being a whole house filter for $300. 30 or 40 bucks to extend the warranty to 5 years.

In the mean time I'll keep searching for more info.

L8R

Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM

159 posts, read 322,115 times
American Water systems. 941-483-4426. Talk to Sean. They installed a water softener, and will be putting in a reverse osmosis in a few days. No pressure at all. Really nice people, and they let their service and product make the sales! Very impressed!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 AM

697 posts, read 1,170,745 times
Neighbor had rainsoft system installed..they took away the aerator...they hate it. Has sulfur smell now. As for the RO..Amazon system from Georgia is what I installed..nice system..look up iSpring

Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 PM

174 posts, read 409,299 times
I am seriously thinking about changing out my well water treatment system. I have the basic aerator, 2 tanks, and water softener and R/O system under the sink. Could probably use a carbon filter to get the bleach residual out of the water. I don't want to use this type of system anymore that uses bleach.

I have come across a rep from RainSoft who suggested using a hydrogen peroxide solution, with a VOC filter and softener and some other filter, I believe to deal with sediment and/or iron but not sure. (KDF carbon filter?)

Another system I came across was one that uses Ozone for its water system. I'm sure there is more involved, but I have not set up an appt for him to come out and test my water.

Rainsoft used a TDS meter and it was registering 580 - 600 ppm. I was told by Rainsoft, that since my TDS was low, that a whole house reverse osmosis wouldn't work well that I should go with a hydrogen peroxide solution injected into the water.

I'm in North Port and I want to know what are the best whole house systems in the area to use and who is the best company to work with?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 PM

697 posts, read 1,170,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp528 View Post
I am seriously thinking about changing out my well water treatment system. I have the basic aerator, 2 tanks, and water softener and R/O system under the sink. Could probably use a carbon filter to get the bleach residual out of the water. I don't want to use this type of system anymore that uses bleach.
What's wrong with this system? It's what most of us have and works well with little maintenance. If your getting bleach smell inside, your delivery mechanism may need to be adjusted/repaired or your one filter tank needs to be serviced.

You might want to Google KDF filters and the material in them...look hard and long

Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 AM

174 posts, read 409,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
What's wrong with this system? It's what most of us have and works well with little maintenance. If your getting bleach smell inside, your delivery mechanism may need to be adjusted/repaired or your one filter tank needs to be serviced.

You might want to Google KDF filters and the material in them...look hard and long
Nothing is wrong with system that I know of. I do need the aerator tank cleaned out. I have that sulfur bacteria growth...ewww! I could probably keep this system but install other filters (activated carbon filter, kdf filter) to clean the water of other harmful toxins.

I am looking into another purification system that does not use bleach to purify the water. Also to add an extra filter to filter out the VOC's, like pesticides, fertilizers, etc.

I have used a bleach well water treatment before, but the system in North Port is without a carbon filter and I did not have to deal with VOC's other than bleach.

The information that I am getting from two water companies is you need to purify the water to filter out iron, sulfur bacteria and other organic compounds, thru either bleach, hydrogen peroxide, ozone. Next a sediment filter, carbon filter and the softener. KDF filters I have never used, but sounds like that should be added for extra filtration.

If I am misstating anything or sound confused, it's because I am new to the type of water that my house has and I am still learning. I want a good well water system that gives me city water or better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area