Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
I realize that this is a bit more of a risk in non deed restricted areas but it can happen anywhere even a gated deed restricted community. I don't think any community is immune of these kinds of neighbors.
Yes, I agree. I just edited my post before you commented. I have a bad headache today and my fingers aren't getting the right signals from my brain. I was speaking in generalities, since even people who live behind iron gates have problems. Some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Naples were victimized during a rash of home invasions. I only think it minimizes some of the issues you might have outside of a gated community. Maybe it's a false sense of security, but people often move to FL desiring these communities, especially the retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 01:29 PM

704 posts, read 771,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, I agree. I just edited my post before you commented. I have a bad headache today and my fingers aren't getting the right signals from my brain. I was speaking in generalities, since even people who live behind iron gates have problems. Some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Naples were victimized during a rash of home invasions. I only think it minimizes some of the issues you might have outside of a gated community. Maybe it's a false sense of security, but people often move to FL desiring these communities, especially the retirees.
I totally understand why the retirees want the gated, hoa, etc. communities. They've spent most of their adult lives doing yard work and home maintenance and now they want to go run, play, be as safe as possible in their little piece of paradise. My husband and I on the other hand are willing to take the risks associated with non deed restricted property for reasons that will remain personal so that I don't hurt anyone's feelings.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:54 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Another reason for wanting a deed restricted community isn't so much the deed restriction, but the amenities that come with an HOA. If you're moving here to retire like we did and don't know anyone, the affords the opportunity to meet people. I don't want a job, I don't want to volunteer at the moment, but I did need to meet new people. If you're in a regular neighborhood, it's not as easy to build a social network.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:43 PM

707 posts, read 1,051,978 times
The reason for my post wasnt to argue the benefits of living in a deed restricted community, its that so called real estate experts on this forum revert to them because they are easy to value and copy and paste amenities and marketing information, without needing any in-depth real estate experience.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:20 PM

To OP, OK, well let's see if I can help with some marketing info here in South Venice.

Upside:

Privacy - lots - our house is on 1/2 acre of land. As are the houses on either side of us.
I am within walking distance to Manasota Beach or a 4 minute drive - free.
If I want to pay I have a semi-private beach - South Venice Beach - can't elaborate on that yet.
I can hear waves from Manasota Beach occasionally
My neighbors are nice and friendly
The majority take care of their property
Very quiet neighborhood
About five minutes from shopping on Jacaranda
About ten minutes tops to Detwilers - good fresh veggies, etc.
About ten minutes to Venice Island
About five minutes to downtown Englewood

Downside:

We have a few neighbors who do not take very good care of their property.

Of course this is about 90 days worth of experience - we are still in the honeymoon phase. I am realistic. Some of this will not change, some of it will, i.e. neighbors. Same thing goes for anyplace you have neighbors.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:00 PM

287 posts, read 300,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
Please provide an address where that is happening locally in a neighborhood of $200K plus homes.
Heights Road in Lake Orion, Michigan. Yeah, it doesn't meet your local criteria, but that doesn't mean it can't happen here. And that was 400K houses.

We looked in my father-in-law's neighborhood in Sarasota before we bought in an HOA. Some guy down the street had unmowed grass, lawn furniture, debris, and of course the cliched junk vehicle. Nuh-Uh.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabotnik View Post
Heights Road in Lake Orion, Michigan. Yeah, it doesn't meet your local criteria, but that doesn't mean it can't happen here. And that was 400K houses.

We looked in my father-in-law's neighborhood in Sarasota before we bought in an HOA. Some guy down the street had unmowed grass, lawn furniture, debris, and of course the cliched junk vehicle. Nuh-Uh.
I know no one wants more government, but this is where city and county code enforcement is very nice when it is enforced. We lived in a nice burb north of Dallas before we moved here that had strict codes and enforcement and it worked quite well. No hoa needed.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
I know no one wants more government, but this is where city and county code enforcement is very nice when it is enforced. We lived in a nice burb north of Dallas before we moved here that had strict codes and enforcement and it worked quite well. No hoa needed.
Sarasota county zoning, and it's been this way for years, rarely goes out looking for violations. Rather, they respond to violations reported by neighbors of the offenders. If the neighbors all wait for someone else to turn in the violation, nothing will happen.

The zoning employees also don't work Saturdays. So if one neighbor decides to paint cars in his carport on weekends to earn extra money (and that actually did happen once in my old neighborhood), it can go on for months before something finally gets done.

In Sarasota county, the grass can grown 12 inches tall, cars can be parked in front yards and you can keep 2 recreational vehicles on your property as long as they have current tags -- and not be in violation of the county property standards.

The city of Sarasota has tougher property standards than the county, but grass can still grown to 10 inches before it's an issue.

If you're thinking of moving to a deed restricted community, get a copy of the Rules & Regulations and read them before you buy a home there. If you're thinking of buying within a non deed restricted neighborhood, it's also a good idea to check with the county/city that has jurisdiction to find out what the actual minimum property standards are and procedures for enforcement. Doing some research up front may save you from unpleasant surprises later on.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:16 PM

707 posts, read 1,051,978 times
Under FL real estate law, a buyer can cancel a contract at any time up until they review the HOA disclosure and rules and regs. For a condo, there is a 3 day right of recission after receipt of the "condo docs". So this isn't something that "should be done". A good agent knows the law and makes sure the buyer has the necessary disclosures and documents.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 PM

[quote=Sunshine Rules;40942630]Sarasota county zoning, and it's been this way for years, rarely goes out looking for violations. Rather, they respond to violations reported by neighbors of the offenders. If the neighbors all wait for someone else to turn in the violation, nothing will happen.

The zoning employees also don't work Saturdays. So if one neighbor decides to paint cars in his carport on weekends to earn extra money (and that actually did happen once in my old neighborhood), it can go on for months before something finally gets done.

In Sarasota county, the grass can grown 12 inches tall, cars can be parked in front yards and you can keep 2 recreational vehicles on your property as long as they have current tags -- and not be in violation of the county property standards.

The city of Sarasota has tougher property standards than the county, but grass can still grown to 10 inches before it's an issue.

It's a shame they are so lax. If I recall correctly, I think the height of the grass was the same however, vehicles of any sort could not be parked on the grass - concrete pad only and in the back side yard. I know the back side yard would never work here since I have yet to see an alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area