Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:18 PM

287 posts, read 300,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Informative thread.... I'm an aging DIY'er so I now look to have competent people do the work I can't.

I'd like people to quote me prices based on time, materials, and then the possibility of the unexpected. We should split that unexpected cost (hey, they are the experts).

I don't think "flori-duh" should be any different than anyplace else
upgrader:

You're onto something. Business is all about risk. A fixed price contract places all the risk of the unexpected on the contractor. I'll take that risk, but it's gonna cost you. With time and material, we share the risk so I can afford to charge less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
There is no risk to installing a handle on a slider door. If the handle isn't solid gold, you shouldn't be asking for a solid gold price and installing plastic. We don't mind paying a fair price but it doesn't mean we should be making a payment on your Lexus.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There is no risk to installing a handle on a slider door. If the handle isn't solid gold, you shouldn't be asking for a solid gold price and installing plastic. We don't mind paying a fair price but it doesn't mean we should be making a payment on your Lexus.
d4g4m:

You are showing your ignorance of how business operates these days. There is risk in installing anything. Yes, homeowners are empowered by reviews on the internet. The downside to this is that a person who hires a contractor for a $300.00 handle installation is given as equal a soapbox as a person who has signed for a $300,000.00 addition. Picture yourself as a contractor and do a quick risk/reward analysis and get back to us.

Here's a better explanation: Why a Faucet Hole Costs $150.00

Old 10-16-2015, 01:51 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,843,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabotnik View Post
kiggy:

I love this attitude; it makes me money. There are folks who are pure price shoppers. I want nothing to do with them. There are folks who want a human to answer the phone, be professional when they're on the phone, and show up on time and do what they say. I have something for these folks; Bubba does not.
Price is a huge factor, as demonstrated in your opening post. It always will be, especially if the economy starts to tank again. You're dealing with older people on a fixed income; that won't change. If you're a subcontractor on a new construction site, that's different. But not if you're going around fixing people's sliding door handles.

Of course, everyone wants the best service, but at the best price as well. There's tons of competition for what you do.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:20 PM

490 posts, read 624,563 times
I try to hire tradesmen who don't have an overwhelming disdain for their customers.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:33 PM

707 posts, read 1,052,687 times
You don't let the market dictate your prices? How did that work in Soviet Russia?

Old 10-16-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Price is a huge factor, as demonstrated in your opening post. It always will be, especially if the economy starts to tank again. You're dealing with older people on a fixed income; that won't change. If you're a subcontractor on a new construction site, that's different. But not if you're going around fixing people's sliding door handles.

Of course, everyone wants the best service, but at the best price as well. There's tons of competition for what you do.
kiggy:

Let's say a customer argues that my rates are too high and base that on my driving up in a brand new truck. That would be the logical fallacy of relevance, ad hominem circumstantial. The age of my truck is not relevant to their argument that my rates are too high. If my circumstances (truck age) are irrelevant to the argument that my rates are too high, then so is their circumstance (fixed income).

I don't go around fixing sliding door handles. I usually get calls for leaking or failing sliding doors which is a much more extensive repair with much less competition. When you fish for those, you catch a few handle jobs.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:05 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
OP states I'm showing my ignorance by me making the statement 'there is no risk to installing a sliding door handle'. I will make that stupid and ignorant statement again. 'there is no risk to install a sliding door handle'. A handle from Home Depot for $19 attached by four screws in 15 minutes.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
OP states I'm showing my ignorance by me making the statement 'there is no risk to installing a sliding door handle'. I will make that stupid and ignorant statement again. 'there is no risk to install a sliding door handle'. A handle from Home Depot for $19 attached by four screws in 15 minutes.
d4g4m:

Your ignorance is showing again. It is amazing how many "simple" and "easy" jobs can create major problems. You can get a spousal disagreement as to the height of the handle after the holes are already drilled. The screws provided with the handle could be the wrong length for the door thickness. And on and on.

You want me to not show up? Start telling me how easy your job is or how it should be done. You get "what". I get "how". I've been doing this for 30 years, but you probably know more than me.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:56 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,843,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabotnik View Post
kiggy:

Let's say a customer argues that my rates are too high and base that on my driving up in a brand new truck. That would be the logical fallacy of relevance, ad hominem circumstantial. The age of my truck is not relevant to their argument that my rates are too high. If my circumstances (truck age) are irrelevant to the argument that my rates are too high, then so is their circumstance (fixed income).

I don't go around fixing sliding door handles. I usually get calls for leaking or failing sliding doors which is a much more extensive repair with much less competition. When you fish for those, you catch a few handle jobs.
I bet the quality of their house and that Lexus in their driveway helps YOU determine your price, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area