Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:01 AM

31 posts, read 38,277 times

Advertisements

Will be moving into the area during the next 6 months and would like to get an idea of the service quality of these cable options. Here in NJ, Verizon has been the clear choice, but I know that service can vary geographically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:05 AM

490 posts, read 624,333 times
Fios is great. Comcast is awful.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Brighthouse is pretty good and has excellent service. However, FiOS (by all accounts) has a better picture with fewer or no signal issues and much faster basic internet speeds with upload and download speeds that match. Brighthouse doesn't match but they offer higher speeds, too. Depending on where you move, the location of offices might be an issue.

We are in a bulk service contract community and we have had Brighthouse for years but we just voted to change to FiOS. Don't know if that will be good or bad but we have had enough mediocre picture and internet to make us look at the other option.

Both companies are being taken over by other companies with pretty poor reputations so I think that is a wash now as a comparison. After dealing several times with Comcast on my parent's behalf, I have to agree...Comcast sux.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:35 AM

287 posts, read 300,127 times
After Comcast hung up on me 8 times in a row, I went to FIOS. They've never hung up on me, but never given me a reason to call, either.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:37 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
I've had both, currently on Fios after having Comcast for a long time.

Whether perceived or real, overall I believe the Fios has better internet and a better overall TV quality. At the end of the day I think customer service will come out even, with your share of good and bad.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 15,461 times
We have Verizon Fios for internet, TV, and phone (fax) No complaints. We live in Venice.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:56 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Had both; FiOS was a much better experience.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:00 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Brighthouse is pretty good and has excellent service. However, FiOS (by all accounts) has a better picture with fewer or no signal issues and much faster basic internet speeds with upload and download speeds that match. Brighthouse doesn't match but they offer higher speeds, too. Depending on where you move, the location of offices might be an issue.

We are in a bulk service contract community and we have had Brighthouse for years but we just voted to change to FiOS. Don't know if that will be good or bad but we have had enough mediocre picture and internet to make us look at the other option.

Both companies are being taken over by other companies with pretty poor reputations so I think that is a wash now as a comparison. After dealing several times with Comcast on my parent's behalf, I have to agree...Comcast sux.
Unless your Brighthouse wiring on the ground was fiber optics I don't think you'll see any improvement, because as I understand it, Verizon stopped rewiring a few years ago, so you're stuck with whatever wiring was already undeground

Old 11-21-2015, 09:02 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
A lot of communities in the area were signed up by the development to a contract with a particular provider, be it Comcast, Brighthouse, whatever. So, you are pretty much stuck with what's in the development, or go to satellite.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:23 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
Unless your Brighthouse wiring on the ground was fiber optics I don't think you'll see any improvement, because as I understand it, Verizon stopped rewiring a few years ago, so you're stuck with whatever wiring was already undeground
Our neighborhood was set-up with fiber optic cable a few years ago but Brighthouse is entirely copper, as I understand it. So they (FiOS) will run fiber optic lines to the buildings (from the existing fiber optic along the road) where the existing copper will take over. The signal loss through fiber optic is minimal and the remaining copper run shouldn't pose much of a detriment. Right now, I get freezes, blocking, lost signals, and lousy internet speed. For the same money, we will have better image and much faster internet. Can't beat that deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area