Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
I wonder how many people that live a "walkable" distance to the Farmers Market, Whole Foods, and Downtown shopping actually walk, shop, and hand carry their wares home any distance at all? My guess is that they walk to their car parked as close as they can find a parking spot

Personally i live near the Amish and can walk to Yoders, or be downtown by bike in 10 minutes.

How about that builder doing all the tear downs west of Tuttle? They seem to be going up faster than......
We walk - and I bike - regularly everywhere from DT to Yoders.

BUT, even if we don't feel like walking there is a BIG difference between a 3 or 5 minutes drive (and then walking) or an entire day out with massive traffic.

One thing for sure. The Amish often walk or ride their bikes.

People are different. My ideal is life is a day when I don't get in the car and become "one" with massive traffic and shopping center after shopping center. Some people probably enjoy those views...but not me.

I guess I am spoiled. I started my adult life in the country and when I moved to more populated areas I worked 5 miles (and 8 minutes) drive from home. Wasting a big % of my life in a car just does not appeal to me....nor did it ever.

Hey, if location was worthless those homes out on AMI would be worth very little.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 AM

547 posts, read 927,232 times
Before I retired I rode my bike to work almost every day, 11 years @ 20 mile daily RT. Besides saving the expense of a car, any stress was long gone before I arrived home. Being retired I can now ride to my hearts content.
The wife and I will ride downtown to parades. etc. Never a problem parking.
The Amish & Mennonites are big users of public transportation (busses) too.They are also early local adopters of e-bikes.

Sorry for the thread drift. Back on topic.....

How about that builder buying up, knocking down all those houses west of Tuttle around Wood St.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We walk - and I bike - regularly everywhere from DT to Yoders.

BUT, even if we don't feel like walking there is a BIG difference between a 3 or 5 minutes drive (and then walking) or an entire day out with massive traffic.

One thing for sure. The Amish often walk or ride their bikes.

People are different. My ideal is life is a day when I don't get in the car and become "one" with massive traffic and shopping center after shopping center. Some people probably enjoy those views...but not me.

I guess I am spoiled. I started my adult life in the country and when I moved to more populated areas I worked 5 miles (and 8 minutes) drive from home. Wasting a big % of my life in a car just does not appeal to me....nor did it ever.

Hey, if location was worthless those homes out on AMI would be worth very little.....

Old 06-14-2016, 05:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
Before I retired I rode my bike to work almost every day, 11 years @ 20 mile daily RT. Besides saving the expense of a car, any stress was long gone before I arrived home. Being retired I can now ride to my hearts content.
The wife and I will ride downtown to parades. etc. Never a problem parking.
The Amish & Mennonites are big users of public transportation (busses) too.They are also early local adopters of e-bikes.

Sorry for the thread drift. Back on topic.....

How about that builder buying up, knocking down all those houses west of Tuttle around Wood St.?
Yeah - lots of houses on lots - I think there may be two builders or more.

I think Courtyard Modern is one of them.

One or more of the houses sold for $500K - I don't like the bigger ones...they take up the whole lot and do away with views for neighbors and have no street presence (porches, etc.)...

The single story models are more to my liking.

We have to assume they are paying nicely for the lots - I've seem some of those tear-downs on the market for 110-130K.

Also, they have bought up some lots which are on busier roads - like Shade.

I do like the fact that some old shacks are being torn down - but, again, I wish the zoning would do away with the giant homes on tiny lots like those on Wood. I heard that the Altavista neighborhood association doesn't like it - but, of course, they have no say since it's not an official HOA.

Sarasota would be smart to put some zoning in place so that the really nice low-rise neighborhoods stay that way. It's a shame when everywhere becomes a fight to build the most sf on a lot and to overshadow your neighbor for the view.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:54 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,543,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yeah - lots of houses on lots - I think there may be two builders or more.

I think Courtyard Modern is one of them.

One or more of the houses sold for $500K - I don't like the bigger ones...they take up the whole lot and do away with views for neighbors and have no street presence (porches, etc.)...

The single story models are more to my liking.

We have to assume they are paying nicely for the lots - I've seem some of those tear-downs on the market for 110-130K.

Also, they have bought up some lots which are on busier roads - like Shade.

I do like the fact that some old shacks are being torn down - but, again, I wish the zoning would do away with the giant homes on tiny lots like those on Wood. I heard that the Altavista neighborhood association doesn't like it - but, of course, they have no say since it's not an official HOA.

Sarasota would be smart to put some zoning in place so that the really nice low-rise neighborhoods stay that way. It's a shame when everywhere becomes a fight to build the most sf on a lot and to overshadow your neighbor for the view.

I would also mention that putting mini McMansions on those lots often has a drainage impact on neighboring homes when heavy rains hit.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:19 PM

26 posts, read 23,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
I would also mention that putting mini McMansions on those lots often has a drainage impact on neighboring homes when heavy rains hit.
Wrong. The footprint has more of an impact, not the size or square footage of the house. Heavy rains for a two story house of 4000 sq ft, isn't much different that a single story 200 sq ft having the same foot print. And you're a real estate agent ?? wow, go to real school

Old 06-15-2016, 04:47 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieClue View Post
Wrong. The footprint has more of an impact, not the size or square footage of the house. Heavy rains for a two story house of 4000 sq ft, isn't much different that a single story 200 sq ft having the same foot print. And you're a real estate agent ?? wow, go to real school
It will make a difference when the house fills most of the lot Zack.
How many member names have you had now?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:58 AM

643 posts, read 472,036 times
Quote:
I think you dropped zero. a 4000 two story vs 2000 single. A 200 sf home would have a very small rain shed. Why would a mini home have any impact on drainage? that would be like saying a mower shed in your back yard has some impact. I highly doubt it would be much at all. Small homes are going to be a part of the future. They are very low impact and if someone can live in one [I am not one, I have too much crap and my crap is good stuff] then more power to them. Realtors hate them because there is much less or no commission. Realtors are supposed to work for your fiduciary well being but its the money, its always the money.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:42 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,543,282 times
Quote:

Size does matter, as it pertains to coverage of the lot in concrete/building. I can take you to several properties in the Arlington Park area today and show you where a much larger new home was built on a lot with older, smaller homes on either side and the older homes are now having water drainage issues every time it rains hard. In some of the instances the new construction lots were built up, so the new homes sit higher than neighboring homes. I know someone who's back yard becomes a pond with heavier storms because there's a new construction home behind theirs and the water runs down off of that lot and into their lot. Complaints to the city have fallen on deaf ears.

That's all I am saying. If someone is looking to buy a home in that area where investors are snapping up older homes for buildable lots, buyers should take into consideration the lay of the lots around the property as well as the home itself.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM

26 posts, read 23,846 times
Obviously if you replace a smaller footprint with a larger ground footprint you can experience negative runoff issues if the swales aren't done properly - but that goes for any development, not just tear-downs-buildups. Usually most of these drainage issues are fairly simple to solve by any competent landscaper and grader.

I've seen complaints filed with the Court however in cases that a neighbors building negatively impacts the safety and use/enjoyment of their own property. Most of these cases are settled by finding a mutually agreeable landscaping/drainage solution. Sometimes it takes more than one "try" and approaches. I've seen issues like this in Lennar, Fidelity, DRH, and Medallion communities over the years. Keep in mind rough weather is rough weather, and flooding does occur no matter how great the drainage plan, and flood plains do shift from year to year, and decade to decade, so some solutions are never permanent unfortunately.

A new buyer has to submit landuse plans to the county and in some cases to SWFLMD. Somebody has to approve that plan. Sometimes officials don't give enough scrutiny to the swale plan as they do for example to the roof or plumbing schedule.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM

43 posts, read 26,849 times
Well I pulled my property off market for the season. Things are defiantly going sideways. I think there is a fair chance that in November we may see things pick back up and prices start to increase a bit. I am not seeing it right now and in fact I got tired of people low balling. My property was the most inexpensive in the area and still had people come in and try to offer 30 thousand less. I pulled it and will put it back on in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area