Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 AM

44 posts, read 258,380 times

Advertisements

I hear it is beautifull....how come? Where are the safe/nice areas to live (relatively inexpensive)? I have been to Cape Coral before but it looked very barren and lifeless (as far as the foliage was). Is that how it is in Sarasota? I like a lot of palm trees, and, i guess, the touristy/vacation-like feel when it comes to the beauty and landscape (kinda like Fort lauderdale). Is it like that? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 05:37 AM

445 posts, read 1,683,328 times
Default Sarasota

We visit each year and particularly go to Siesta Key..pretty , full of mainly condos along the water.

Sarasota itself has a nice downtown area. Good restraurants. I have played many a nice golf course there.
There are good and not so great neighborhoods like anywhere else.
What exactly are you looking for?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:59 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,135 times
The moment you exit Sarasota airport(or reach Sarasota by driving from Tampa or Ft. Myers), you'll feel like you're on a different planet in terms of foliage. All sorts of palms(palmetto, sabal, Florida royal, coconut, washingtonia, mediterranean), citrus(Florida oranges, grapefruits, kinkan, satsuma), oleanders and hibiscus of any color imaginable, pines ranging from sand to Australian. Mango, carambola, avocado, lychee can be spotted in the backyards in older neighborhoods. Various tropical hardwoods too.
There's always something in bloom in any time of the year. Feels like botanic gardens everywhere!

As far as being safe, generally speaking stay south of Fruitville rd and you should be quite all right. As far as inexpensive... well, comparing to Cape Coral/Fort Myers you'll have to pay extra for practically everything. The most significant difference would likely be the housing. But when compared to South Florida, the cost of living in Sarasota seems more reasonable, especially considering the amenities and quality of life you get here.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM

44 posts, read 258,380 times
Thank you Outider and Robbied for your answers! I have heard to stay south of Fruitville rd., so ill keep that in mind. Thanks again! Any other info would be appreciated!--anything at all.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:22 PM

93 posts, read 386,169 times
May I ask why south of Fruitville rd? Is it more crime ridden, or just run down north of this road?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward48 View Post
May I ask why south of Fruitville rd? Is it more crime ridden, or just run down north of this road?
Thanks
I wouldn't go as far as calling any of that area run down. Some parts of it could be viewed as neglected or mistreated perhaps, but not run down.

Crime is the reason why people keep saying to stay south. Look at the locations of arrests made by Sarasota county sheriff, then find them on the map and things would become more obvious. Area north of Fruitville will appear more vulnurable to burglaries, robberies, car theft and such.

Keep in mind that there are some very nice developments(gated or otherwise) just north of Fruitville and just west of I-75. But in my opinion you might end up feeling like living in the middle of midwestern prairie, cut off from everything except maybe Sam's club, Target and a couple of supermarkets.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I lived in Sarasota for 17 years. While it is very beautiful near the water and beaches and downtown (all to the extreme west of the city, all the rest of the town looks like anywhere USA, especially when you go inland even a few miles.

Also, since I lived there (10 years ago) they have knocked down most of the historic buildings and built large new buildings, and taken down a lot of the big old trees that used to be in the city neighborhoods. I think it's changed a lot.

Anyway, I agree about the area north of Fruitville and east of 301 - not very nice at all. I think Southgate and Gulf Gate are nice little neighborhoods if one wants to live in an older neighborhood rather than a big development out east. These are south of town, but close in, and you can probably get something not too expensive here.

As always, JMO...

Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 AM

93 posts, read 386,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
I wouldn't go as far as calling any of that area run down. Some parts of it could be viewed as neglected or mistreated perhaps, but not run down.

Crime is the reason why people keep saying to stay south. Look at the locations of arrests made by Sarasota county sheriff, then find them on the map and things would become more obvious. Area north of Fruitville will appear more vulnurable to burglaries, robberies, car theft and such.

Keep in mind that there are some very nice developments(gated or otherwise) just north of Fruitville and just west of I-75. But in my opinion you might end up feeling like living in the middle of midwestern prairie, cut off from everything except maybe Sam's club, Target and a couple of supermarkets.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.Appreciate it.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I love anywhere west of Tamiami Tr. There are beautiful old oak trees and huge banyan trees. Most of the areas west of the trail are pretty expensive though. There are only a handful of neighborhoods in Sarasota that I would consider affordable and some of them have nice foliage. I would have to agree with gypsychic in her recommendation to check out Gulf Gate and South Gate areas. I would also look into Tamaron or maybe Colonial Oaks.

Good luck with your search!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:44 PM

321 posts, read 362,972 times
The Lakewood Ranch/University Parkway area is really nice and convenient, it is definitely an up and coming area as they are currently working on several commercial developments near I-75. Most everything off of University is fairly new, and it's probably one of the safest areas of Sarasota, just my humble opinion. Sarasota is such a beautiful place, especially if you love the water and palm trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area