Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 02:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I will just never understand, troll or not, why someone becomes so vehement about a city or town - like it's personal or something. Over and over we see on these forums people who hated a town (or the whole state) and left and STILL can't let it go.

There are places I have lived and did not care for, or got tired of (including Sarasota, lol) but I still always see the good in them. I guess some people are just miserable being themselves.
On the other hand, there are a lot of things she says which can be true for many. Just as some people here cheerlead and act like it is "paradise" when, in fact, it is anything but. As one post said "do your research" - know what you are getting into. People should not buy into the marketing (of Florida, a development, etc.) but rather do their homework, rent, explore and decide.

Florida is a stark place - every explorer and settler has agreed on that much. We have reshapened much of it to our liking, but that type of newness (lack of history, roots, fewer town centers, etc.) can be very foreign too many. I've always felt more connected when I am in an area with history, buildings and institutions that go back 100's of years.
Others may be more "nomadic" and can easier adapt to "anywhere USA".

There are positives and negatives but we really should face one fact. Florida, for many of us, is sorta the "poor mans paradise". There is no "San Diego weather" or topography here on the East Coast and if there was you couldn't buy a place for $250K there.

When one is talking about the average prices and what many of us have.....many might be in the category of "you get what you pay for"...and we ain't paying much (considering).

Better someone should read her post and be prompted to rent for a couple months or similar to be sure...than to pull up roots and have to deal with complete relocations twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 03:55 PM

79 posts, read 106,520 times
So, to get back on track. How would you say this area compares to Punta Gorda? Married, late 50s and am contemplating the move from Texas. Texans scoff at the heat and humidity. Not sure if I would work-I am "retired" but working. One thing that concerns me about PG is the age of the residence and the fact that it appears you have to drive somewhere to do something. Don't get me wrong, doing nothing is great. We have a boat and love the water and outdoors. So anyone on here lived down in PG or Port Charlotte and moved up here?

Old 08-17-2019, 04:19 PM

25,775 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Punta Gorda is a boaters haven. If you are not a regular boater, you will not like it. If you are a boater, you will like it.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:48 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Lived in PG for three years. It has a great downtown and rivals any downtown south of Sarasota and north of Naples. It is 50 minutes from the beach so if you intend on going to the beach often it may not be for you. Not sure where else you are looking but most of SW Florida is dominated by retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area