Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 16,005 times

Advertisements

Hiell, my husband and i have been concentrating our search for a new florida home in the North Port area. We have searched in many diffrent SW Florida regions and are finding more plentiful and newer homes in North Port. Can anyone enlighten me on the city from a residents point of view. Oh, yes FYI we are of retirement age but don't really want to live in a 55+ community, but in a quiet neighborhood.
Thanks for any and all help .
Nanclee53
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,932,345 times
OK, People are probably getting tired of me being the "North Port Cheerleader" but I really like North Port. The housing is affordable, it's 25 minutes from the beach, the people are friendly, the weather is great, IMO. What more could you ask for?

Most areas in North Port are kind of quiet. I live off of Chamberlain Rd and it's nice here. It's close to the new Publix, Walgreen's and other various shops going in but it's not to close to be obnoxious.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,826,124 times
North Port is growing, but it's a commuter town. Most people do not work in NoPo. I guess you'd call it a bedroom community. It may stay that way - if so, it's a great town to live in.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,665 times
We looked into NP for a long time. Once the market started to drop so drastically, we started hearing some bad things. Friends of ours moved out of NP after only living there for a year or so. This is only what I've heard, Im no expert, but it will make you think. Northport was building like crazy, they were a nothing town.. they had so many homes built and just couldn't sell them. They anticipated the town booming in a matter of years but it just didnt happen. Like in many places, the builders had to DROP prices to sell them and in turn, had some of these areas go to crap, bringing in SOME not so desirable clientel. They also had a number of businesses that were set to build that backed out. They also have issues with getting city water. Sarasota and Venice don't want to share their water with NP, leaving them with well. As I said, we've had friends move out and we have since started looking else where..I will say, that those that posted seem to like it..

Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM

41 posts, read 121,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
We looked into NP for a long time. Once the market started to drop so drastically, we started hearing some bad things. Friends of ours moved out of NP after only living there for a year or so. This is only what I've heard, Im no expert, but it will make you think. Northport was building like crazy, they were a nothing town.. they had so many homes built and just couldn't sell them. They anticipated the town booming in a matter of years but it just didnt happen. Like in many places, the builders had to DROP prices to sell them and in turn, had some of these areas go to crap, bringing in SOME not so desirable clientel. They also had a number of businesses that were set to build that backed out. They also have issues with getting city water. Sarasota and Venice don't want to share their water with NP, leaving them with well. As I said, we've had friends move out and we have since started looking else where..I will say, that those that posted seem to like it..
We were looking at North Port also. I didn't even know about the water thing. The thing that has us looking somewhere else was the murder of that young woman. I don't want to live somewhere that is so rural or such a new community that you can't get police assistance if you call 911. I'm sure that there are alot of other circumstances with that situation, but it still got me looking at other areas.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,665 times
Yes, that too- Sad thing, is she wasnt the only one. What abour Coral Rose Fulwood? She was just a baby, more recently was the young mother of 2 that was abducted from her home.. Something raises a red flag.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg928 View Post
We were looking at North Port also. I didn't even know about the water thing. The thing that has us looking somewhere else was the murder of that young woman. I don't want to live somewhere that is so rural or such a new community that you can't get police assistance if you call 911. I'm sure that there are alot of other circumstances with that situation, but it still got me looking at other areas.
Actually, the call was made in Charlotte county just over the North Port line. It was also made during a shift change. This could have happened anywhere. Everyone in North Port was out looking for her but the call didn't get patched through from the Charlotte county PD. I'm not saying I agree with the situation, somebody dropped the ball and it seems like it was Charlotte County PD, not NP.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,724 times
Post There is water in North Port

The City of North Port has plenty of water for its residents on city water. Not all residents are on city water, true, but only because of cost of infrastructure. Those citizens on well have been fine this year, and it's been a dry year.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 PM

I agree, we are on a well in North Port, have five people in our family and have been just fine. I like well water better than city water. The bill is much less and IMO the water taste much better. We pay for salt each month if we need it and then every six months the guy comes out and changes the filters and scrubs the tank out. Pretty easy. I wouldn't wan't city water if it was available.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:53 PM

9 posts, read 54,469 times
Thumbs up I'm going for it!

I live in Elmira, NY right now and I'm also looking in NP. I've been looking for months in many areas in FL, even flew down for a week already, and I like the fact that NP is so nice and quiet and a bit rural, when you see it from the satellite pictures. The houses have bigger lots and are newer.

I think you just have to get a really good agent that will guide you to the right areas. I found one and let me know if someone needs one because this guy is doing all the leg work for me. He's better than all the others I had before. If I find a house online he'll go over there in person, inspect it and give me a report on it. He knows exactly what I'm looking for.

Be alerted, many areas in Florida where the prices are this low have high crime, tons and tons of traffic so do your research! This area doesn't!
Some have city water but most don't. But you can have a really good water filtration system for the well water. I plan on putting out a rain barrel and catch water for my yard, why not? Maybe I don't need to.

Call me a dreamer, but I plan on planting a tropical garden in NP as soon as I settle down there (hopefully this summer or fall) and my realtor told me he was growing real coconuts, pineapples and mangoes, as well as bananas. You can grow almost anything there! I even want to grow coffee and chocolate:-)

I'm single and will be working from home so I'm hoping to meet some more people moving over there who I can share tropical garden stuff with and have fun with exploring the area!!!:-) Maybe learn how to kayak. There are great areas nearby for that.

I'm just going to go for it!

Leontine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area