Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:52 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
You don't NEED one, but it would be FOOLISH not to have one. It costs a buyer $0.00. The seller pays all the costs. The builder is NOT there to protect you. That would be the job of your OWN realtor.
There is no need for a realtor on new construction home but I'd sure have a real estate attorney by my side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM

117 posts, read 99,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
There is no need for a realtor on new construction home but I'd sure have a real estate attorney by my side.
Do you think the builder is going to be 100% honest with the buyer?

Do you think the builder will be looking out for the buyer first and foremost?

Do you think the builder will voluntarily offer up all the free or reduced upgrades?

Wouldn't you want someone familiar with the area and the builder to be working on your side, rather than trusting the builder?

Wouldn't you like having someone constantly checking in on the status of the build and sending you pictures?

Wouldn't you rather tell your realtor what you want and let them do all the groundwork?

What possible reason would there be for choosing not to have a realtor when buying?

Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Quote:
How many usernames are you going to post under???
I think Sheckie's personal record was 4 at one time on one thread.......

Old 03-14-2019, 02:41 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
However, I did look up KB Home builders and everything is possitive. So I think I’ll contact them. I also found Pinnicale Builders (their mostly in Cape Coral). But I can’t find any reviews on them at all. One of their new 4/2 cons sold for 225 in north port. I’m wondering how they got that price. Perhaps the land was a separate transaction? Not sure how that works.

Strange that you did not come across these stories regarding K B Homes as this happened locally, in the Lakewood Ranch area of south Manatee county:

https://www.bradenton.com/news/busin...e34555851.html

KB Home reaches repair agreement with Willowbrook Association
Published: August 28, 2012

By NICK WILLIAMS —

EAST MANATEE -- National homebuilder KB Home has reached an agreement on repairs with the Willowbrook Association, which manages all homeowner properties within the 272-unit town home community in East Manatee.

The agreement authorizes a third-party contractor to make repairs to balconies inside Willowbrook, of which 32 have been ruled unsafe by Manatee County building inspectors due to sinking floors and loose guard rails.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/busin...e34554891.html

Roughly 10 percent of the balconies in the community have been ruled unsafe by county inspectors, citing sinking floors, loose rails and separation along window frames.

The inspections were exclusive to the decks but residents have said the damage is as significant to the inside of their homes, which have water damage due to rain pouring in from the roof, mold, moisture inside the walls and various construction defects.

Dozens of residents are asking KB Home, the developer of the community, to buy back their homes.
Last week, several residents denied a subcontracting company hired by KB Home entry to close off access to the balconies, a temporary fix. So far, 20 of 27 balconies inspected have been ruled unsafe. Only two homeowners allowed the subcontracting company to secure access to the balconies.

Willowbrook » KB HOMES LEAK - Complaints & Reviews

In the end, a 3rd party contractor came in and tore the stucco off of the front of all of the buildings and replaced the stucco, windows, etc. And the home owners got a very short term warranty for the work done.

https://www.bradenton.com/homes/article63086352.html

Two weeks ago, KB reached a settlement with the Florida Attorney General's Office over the construction defects, failure to disclose problems to buyers and denial of home-warranty claims for 1,688 homes across the state. Under the agreement, the builder must repair houses that are up to 10 years old and qualify under the terms of the settlement. In addition, KB must provide the attorney general's office with $6.5 million to help repay homeowners who had to pay for their own repairs.

I too noticed there are a lot of good reviews for KB Home out there, so hopefully they have learned their lesson. Time will tell.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 AM

68 posts, read 104,499 times
I''ve never used a real estate sales person to buy a house from a builder, but I don't need help examining what I'm looking at, and certainly know far more than 95% of the real estate sales people.

I agree however with having an attorney, and an independent inspector if you have concerns not addressed by the builder. Never trust the alleged skill level of a salesperson when it comes to construction and contracts.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 AM

117 posts, read 99,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Give Way View Post
I certainly agree. But even now, the need for a agent at 6% is almost crazy as well.
The buyer does not pay to have an agent. The seller of the property pays the buyer's agent upon closing.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 15,708 times
Quote:
Do you think the builder is going to be 100% honest with the buyer?

Do you think the builder will be looking out for the buyer first and foremost?

Do you think the builder will voluntarily offer up all the free or reduced upgrades?

Wouldn't you want someone familiar with the area and the builder to be working on your side, rather than trusting the builder?

Wouldn't you like having someone constantly checking in on the status of the build and sending you pictures?

Wouldn't you rather tell your realtor what you want and let them do all the groundwork?

What possible reason would there be for choosing not to have a realtor when buying?
Exactly this. This is why I would want someone by my side. Someone with building and construction experience. It doesn’t cost me anything and it’s just another set of eyes. I agree!

Old 03-15-2019, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 15,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
However, I did look up KB Home builders and everything is possitive. So I think I’ll contact them. I also found Pinnicale Builders (their mostly in Cape Coral). But I can’t find any reviews on them at all. One of their new 4/2 cons sold for 225 in north port. I’m wondering how they got that price. Perhaps the land was a separate transaction? Not sure how that works.

Strange that you did not come across these stories regarding K B Homes as this happened locally, in the Lakewood Ranch area of south Manatee county:

https://www.bradenton.com/news/busin...e34555851.html

KB Home reaches repair agreement with Willowbrook Association
Published: August 28, 2012

By NICK WILLIAMS —

EAST MANATEE -- National homebuilder KB Home has reached an agreement on repairs with the Willowbrook Association, which manages all homeowner properties within the 272-unit town home community in East Manatee.

The agreement authorizes a third-party contractor to make repairs to balconies inside Willowbrook, of which 32 have been ruled unsafe by Manatee County building inspectors due to sinking floors and loose guard rails.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/busin...e34554891.html

Roughly 10 percent of the balconies in the community have been ruled unsafe by county inspectors, citing sinking floors, loose rails and separation along window frames.

The inspections were exclusive to the decks but residents have said the damage is as significant to the inside of their homes, which have water damage due to rain pouring in from the roof, mold, moisture inside the walls and various construction defects.

Dozens of residents are asking KB Home, the developer of the community, to buy back their homes.
Last week, several residents denied a subcontracting company hired by KB Home entry to close off access to the balconies, a temporary fix. So far, 20 of 27 balconies inspected have been ruled unsafe. Only two homeowners allowed the subcontracting company to secure access to the balconies.

Willowbrook » KB HOMES LEAK - Complaints & Reviews

In the end, a 3rd party contractor came in and tore the stucco off of the front of all of the buildings and replaced the stucco, windows, etc. And the home owners got a very short term warranty for the work done.

https://www.bradenton.com/homes/article63086352.html

Two weeks ago, KB reached a settlement with the Florida Attorney General's Office over the construction defects, failure to disclose problems to buyers and denial of home-warranty claims for 1,688 homes across the state. Under the agreement, the builder must repair houses that are up to 10 years old and qualify under the terms of the settlement. In addition, KB must provide the attorney general's office with $6.5 million to help repay homeowners who had to pay for their own repairs.

I too noticed there are a lot of good reviews for KB Home out there, so hopefully they have learned their lesson. Time will tell.

Yikes! They sure have their reviews/marketing on point. lol I hope they learned their lesson too.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 PM

50 posts, read 59,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.emily View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. Not the first time buying a house but it’s the first time considering new cons. I am definitely doing a lot of research and all of this information is helpful to me. Buying a used home is still an option for us too. We want the best deal and location for our family. It doesn’t have to be brand new. But it can’t be a gut job. I’ve got 3 toddlers and it’s just way too much with these little ones running around. lol

I’ve cancelled my appointment with Maronda Homes. However we are still driving up to Sarasota the first weekend of May. We want to check it North Port and more areas of Sarasota. It’s been awhile since we’ve visited and I want to get reacquainted. We absolutely love Venice but home prices have gone up a lot. Still cheaper than Miami though. And way more of a lifestyle I want for our family.
I am moving to Sarasota Area this summer. I have a close friend who is a realtor agent there and we went house and neighborhood shopping and the diversity of homes are pretty awesome : price, style, new, older, mid century, modern etc. And there are some neighborhoods that just precious (tree lined streets, clean and quit etc). In Silicon Valley, the neighborhood I described, started at 1.5 Million and up (and these are old homes).

I am sure your going to find a nice home; and a fair price. There is no where perfect but the Sarasota/Bradenton/Tampa area is among some of the most beautiful in the country (Shhh, don't tell anyone).

Best wishes, I am sure you and your happy will do great!
Happy house hunting.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,564 times
For all this saying having an agent “costs you 0, the seller pays”, think outside the box. NOT having an agent can actually save the buyer money creatively. use it as a tool to negotiate a lower price, seller contributing closing cost, or upgrades etc...,By not having an agent you are now saving the seller thousands, ex a 300k property at 3% agent commission would be 9k! I’d rather have that 9k in my pocket somehow, not an agent or the agents broker.
As a seller I would be more than happy to negotiate a better price if you don’t have an agent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area