Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2022, 06:12 AM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
I hate these internet type trolls.

Anyway, I guess I'm part of the problem since I am under contract for new construction in the Palmer Ranch area, signed late January. Prices at these points didn't bother me as long as I didn't have to get into a bidding war/frenzie, which I didn't. I'm happy with my decision and I do realize it will take probably the rest of the year to get it built, so be it. I'm not in that 1mm dollar range, thank god, so when we started looking until we were "allowed" to sign price increases were not anywhere near the levels described in this thread.
Hopefully prices will moderate down by the time your house is finished and will be sold to you at the agreed upon price of the contract.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/money/c...9-329ea0d39361
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 04:24 PM

33 posts, read 22,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Hopefully prices will moderate down by the time your house is finished and will be sold to you at the agreed upon price of the contract.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/money/c...9-329ea0d39361
Thanks for the link, good read. I’ve read my contact and I see no such clauses, so hopefully I’m good. Cross fingers. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:27 AM

152 posts, read 283,688 times
I drove around Lakewood Ranch today as I wondered about selling my townhouse and it's pretty hard to beat a family friendly town in Florida that could compare. A soon to be Aquarium at UTC, Rowing that is World Class with more improvements happening soon. Parents with similar goals and care for good schools and physical activities for their kids and themselves.

Multigenerational living and the largest brain study in the US with Mass General. A real mall which may sound dumb to some but beats the soulless shopping Amazon and online shopping bring. The most beautiful beaches nearby and sidewalks everywhere. We were spoiled during the pandemic with seniors dancing in downtown Lakewood Ranch Main Street when much of the nation were locked in their homes.

I'm so tempted to sell my townhouse, but I really don't want to leave either - where would I go to find this in Florida?? Hard to beat, still worth the money to me.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:59 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
I drove around Lakewood Ranch today as I wondered about selling my townhouse and it's pretty hard to beat a family friendly town in Florida that could compare. A soon to be Aquarium at UTC, Rowing that is World Class with more improvements happening soon. Parents with similar goals and care for good schools and physical activities for their kids and themselves.

Multigenerational living and the largest brain study in the US with Mass General. A real mall which may sound dumb to some but beats the soulless shopping Amazon and online shopping bring. The most beautiful beaches nearby and sidewalks everywhere. We were spoiled during the pandemic with seniors dancing in downtown Lakewood Ranch Main Street when much of the nation were locked in their homes.

I'm so tempted to sell my townhouse, but I really don't want to leave either - where would I go to find this in Florida?? Hard to beat, still worth the money to me.
Yea, UTC is a nice mall! It will be one of the few malls left on the West Coast eventually. Edison Mall is doing bad. Port Charlotte is, Siesta Key, South Sarasota mall both doing bad. Eventually you will have to drive either to Naples or UTC by Bradenton just for a regular mall with a Macy's or Jcpenny!

Even the outletmall 40 miles to my South has a lot of vacancies.

I think the problem is there are too many malls now and you have Amazon so that takes a chunk of the sales out. You simply don't need so man malls now. When they built UTC it cannibalized a lot of the nearby malls.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:26 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Yea, UTC is a nice mall! It will be one of the few malls left on the West Coast eventually. Edison Mall is doing bad. Port Charlotte is, Siesta Key, South Sarasota mall both doing bad. Eventually you will have to drive either to Naples or UTC by Bradenton just for a regular mall with a Macy's or Jcpenny!

Even the outletmall 40 miles to my South has a lot of vacancies.

I think the problem is there are too many malls now and you have Amazon so that takes a chunk of the sales out. You simply don't need so man malls now. When they built UTC it cannibalized a lot of the nearby malls.
Yes, it is, and it's not even just the actual mall but all of the really nice shopping plazas nearby that are kind of part of it. It's a beautiful area of town and really self-contained. I unofficially call it "new Sarasota" (like New Tampa). Everything you could want is in this area. I don't live there of course, but I certainly see the appeal.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:44 PM

33 posts, read 22,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, it is, and it's not even just the actual mall but all of the really nice shopping plazas nearby that are kind of part of it. It's a beautiful area of town and really self-contained. I unofficially call it "new Sarasota" (like New Tampa). Everything you could want is in this area. I don't live there of course, but I certainly see the appeal.
The UTC area is a typical "awesome place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" area. I think traffic there can be some of the worst in the entire area. Cars everywhere going to all the shopping destinations. It is a great mall though, very throw back yet very modern.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
The UTC area is a typical "awesome place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" area. I think traffic there can be some of the worst in the entire area. Cars everywhere going to all the shopping destinations. It is a great mall though, very throw back yet very modern.

The downside is when the UTC mall was built it killed other nearby malls like Siesta Key and South Sarasota. Simply too many malls and with online shopping you no longer need all these malls.

I'm from St. Louis and it's the same way. Used to be a ton of malls. Then in the mid 2000s with online shopping they started to cannibalize each other despite being a large metro area.

What shocked me is Tampa Premium outlets. It opened in 2015. I really liked that mall. Lots of good shops and the brand name clothing is a lot cheaper. I went to it in 2021 for the first time in 2 years. Wow did it change. Lots of vacant stores now. Stores I went to in the past no longer there. I was shocked at the vacant stores.

Edison Mall in Ft. Myers used to be a nice mall. Now it probably won't be there in a few years.

UTC mall reminds me of the West County Mall in St. Louis County except it's a bit smaller than West County mall.

Sucks living in Punta Gorda that eventually the only indoor malls left will be UTC near Bradenton and Coastland in Naples that have the big box stores. Not many mall options in SWFL eventually.

Gulf Coast Town Center is a really nice shopping center in Estero near the intl airport and university. Yet it's about 50 percent vacant when that place should be hopping with an airport and college near it.

The Outlet malls typically don't have Macy's, JCpenny or Bealls.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:42 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
We haven't found it to be that bad at all. We don't currently live in Sarasota (Lakeland now) but we still own our little rancher near the airport and the drive to anywhere there is a breeze. We just shoot down Whitfield and connect with University which leads to everything. I like the area a lot. As you said, don't want to live there. We are happy to still have a little place we can come down to and do things. Very grateful.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:18 AM

25,793 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We haven't found it to be that bad at all. We don't currently live in Sarasota (Lakeland now) but we still own our little rancher near the airport and the drive to anywhere there is a breeze. We just shoot down Whitfield and connect with University which leads to everything. I like the area a lot. As you said, don't want to live there. We are happy to still have a little place we can come down to and do things. Very grateful.
Arriving to the UTC area from the West is MUCH easier than from any other directon...especially coming from the East...like from I-75 and trying to get in the proper lane to make the left turn onto retail lane (aka Cattlemen).

I try to enter the UTC Mall area from the South via Fruitville to Cattleman North...much easier than off University.

North Cattleman/Coopers Lane are both stressful weekends, and at peak Mall hours.

6th most overvalued....time will tell. They said that about NYC and San Fran for decades, yet the prices kept climbing.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Arriving to the UTC area from the West is MUCH easier than from any other directon...especially coming from the East...like from I-75 and trying to get in the proper lane to make the left turn onto retail lane (aka Cattlemen).

I try to enter the UTC Mall area from the South via Fruitville to Cattleman North...much easier than off University.

North Cattleman/Coopers Lane are both stressful weekends, and at peak Mall hours.

6th most overvalued....time will tell. They said that about NYC and San Fran for decades, yet the prices kept climbing.

The prices in New York City are climbing again ever since the vaccine roll out and restrictions being lifted.

Probably because a lot go to UTC are getting off I75 which is why it's a cluster, plus that's a terrible road design in that area. I went to a dermatologist in that area and know what you're talking about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area