Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 11:31 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times

Advertisements

Maybe ~ returning tourists book a year ahead. Let me repeat that, returning tourists book a year ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 11:51 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The snowbirds who have places here, or who have paid deposits, will still come if there property is okay.

The tourists will avoid the heavily impacted areas, and go elsewhere in Florida.

Siesta Key will still be a huge draw, & Anna Maria, & Bradenton's coastal area, but the rest of SW Forida's tourism will suffer. Tourists will flock to Siesta Key North in SW FLA, & go to SE Florida & the Panhandle instead.

Tourism from Venice South to Naples will suffer.
What I'm scared of!! My business is in ft myers so even if its up and running by December I'm basically f*cked because of ft myers beach, naples, etc. No spring breakers!!

Could be a 2 year thing too.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Maybe ~ returning tourists book a year ahead. Let me repeat that, returning tourists book a year ahead.
Depends on what else is booked. Landlords may dump a few 'week here and there' bookings for 6-10 months of guaranteed income from hurricane displaced folks waiting for rebuilds/roof repairs.

And vacationers may cancel their reservations here and go elsewhere. Who knows.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
What I'm scared of!! My business is in ft myers so even if its up and running by December I'm basically f*cked because of ft myers beach, naples, etc. No spring breakers!!

Could be a 2 year thing too.
Ft Myers is screwed. No doubts about that.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:18 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Depends on what else is booked. Landlords may dump a few 'week here and there' bookings for 6-10 months of guaranteed income from hurricane displaced folks waiting for rebuilds/roof repairs.

And vacationers may cancel their reservations here and go elsewhere. Who knows.
On Siesta, Lido & Longboat, and Anna Maria, they book the condos upon check-out for the next year; I know as I managed a weekly luxury gulf front.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
On Siesta, Lido & Longboat, and Anna Maria, they book the condos upon check-out for the next year; I know as I managed a weekly luxury gulf front.
I'm well aware. I did not disagree with you. ???

Old 10-06-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDeLaMaison View Post
LOL...wow, I've never read so many unsubstantiated if not irrational predictions about what seasonal residents will do or will not do, especially about Manatee and Sarasota counties. Seasonal actual residents are not *tourists*. Tourists would be smart to skip the entire area due to mssive, necessarily recovery efforts which will be afoot for months and years. Behaviors and attitudes are already shifting OUT of Florida.
Someone who rents for a month or 2? Is a tourist. IMO.

Snowbirds are not tourists.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:58 AM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Someone who rents for a month or 2? Is a tourist. IMO.

Snowbirds are not tourists.
I wonder how long people must stay in Florida to be considered Snow Birds, and not tourists?

I think of tourists as people who stay 1 day upto 6 weeks, 6 weeks being mostly Europeans....remember them?

Tourism will suffer in the Ian ravaged areas, but some snow birds will return if their place down here is okay.

People relocating to Florida full time will just keep coming, but the rate will slow a bit for a while. Not just due to Ian, but also for economic reasons...inflation, recession, stock market dip, & interest rates for those who need a mortgage.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I wonder how long people must stay in Florida to be considered Snow Birds, and not tourists?

I think of tourists as people who stay 1 day upto 6 weeks, 6 weeks being mostly Europeans....remember them?

Tourism will suffer in the Ian ravaged areas, but some snow birds will return if their place down here is okay.

People relocating to Florida full time will just keep coming, but the rate will slow a bit for a while. Not just due to Ian, but also for economic reasons...inflation, recession, stock market dip, & interest rates for those who need a mortgage.
Snowbirds are about a 6 month split, and own 2 homes, 1 up north and 1 down here.

Everyone else is a tourist. YMMV.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:51 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
One of the main dictionaries defines a snowbird as a person who vacations in or moves to a warmer climate during cold weather. Nothing mentioned about length of time spent in the warmer climate.

According to the Farmer's Almanac, winter for much of the Midwest and along the East Coast will be "shivery and snowy." The eastern half of the U.S. can expect potentially record-breaking cold to define the season.

This frigid forecast extends to the Deep South and Texas.

Winter temperatures will be colder than normal across much of the country between the East Coast and Rockies.

Snowfall will be greater than normal from central New England through northern North Carolina, from the Lower Great Lakes and the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys into the southern Plains, from the northern Plains into eastern Washington, and across the higher terrain of the southern Rockies and California.

Freezing temperatures will also bring above-average snow totals to most areas in the eastern U.S. that typically experience snowfall.

If the almanac comes close to being right on their predictions for the winter of 2022 - 2023, snowbirds will be flocking to warmer places such as FL, regardless of Ian. Snow and bone chilling cold have a way of motivating people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area