Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,628 times

Advertisements

They POOP and you do not pick it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:25 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,143,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2010 View Post
What are the Sarasota dog parks like? Are they little dinky things where the dog owners vegetate on benches while the dogs sniff each others' butts, cover each others' pee, and otherwise sink into boredom and muscular atrophy?

One of the great pleasures in life for a dog and its owner is a vigorous off-leash two-mile trail walk. We and our ten-year-old Portuguese Water Dog enjoy that pleasure in Long Island, NY, at least when not contemplating our tax bill. Are such American outdoor pleasures verboten in Sarasota?

If so, wouldn't the city fathers do well to take the next logical step and, in the manner of Maoist China, mandate the serving up of roast canine ("hot dogs") in the town's eateries?
There's no law in SRQ that says you can't walk your dog for two miles...however, we have leash laws....SRQ is not Long Island

Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 AM

132 posts, read 325,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fconron View Post
They POOP and you do not pick it up!
So dog owners in the city of Sarasota and Pinellas County pick up after their dogs and dog owners in Sarasota County do not?

No one has yet to explain why there is a difference in laws between parks administered by these jurisdictions.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,552 times
Each municipality (Sarasota, Venice, and North Port) in Sarasota County has its own laws on plenty of issues, not just dogs. To try and understand the why would take philosophy, time, money, luck, fate, and possibly a mood-altering substance such as alcohol.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM

132 posts, read 325,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
Each municipality (Sarasota, Venice, and North Port) in Sarasota County has its own laws on plenty of issues, not just dogs. To try and understand the why would take philosophy, time, money, luck, fate, and possibly a mood-altering substance such as alcohol.
Perhaps it's time to get this law changed.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,599 times
I think it is terrible that Sarasota county does not allow dogs in 95% of County run parks.
The off leash dog parks are not the answer the only 2 times I tried on I saw dog fights and everyone seemed concerned except the offending dogs owner they thought it was funny.
Also my dog came home with fleas. Who knows how many of the dogs at these off leash parks are up to date with their shots?
I would rather have my dog on a leash and under control in any Sarasota county park I choose, I as tax payer pay to keep these parks up.
I think it is time for new laws or new law makers.

Dog owner Sarasota County

Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2010 View Post
What are the Sarasota dog parks like? Are they little dinky things where the dog owners vegetate on benches while the dogs sniff each others' butts, cover each others' pee, and otherwise sink into boredom and muscular atrophy?

One of the great pleasures in life for a dog and its owner is a vigorous off-leash two-mile trail walk. We and our ten-year-old Portuguese Water Dog enjoy that pleasure in Long Island, NY, at least when not contemplating our tax bill. Are such American outdoor pleasures verboten in Sarasota?

If so, wouldn't the city fathers do well to take the next logical step and, in the manner of Maoist China, mandate the serving up of roast canine ("hot dogs") in the town's eateries?

I have found Sarasota to be much MORE welcoming to dogs in parks than Long Island. There are very few parks on LI that allow dogs - on or off leash. And I do not think there are ANY that allow dogs offleash.
We go to the TEddy Roosevelt Estate to walk our dog along trails & on the beach. But they require dogs be on leash there. Likewise, Sands Point Estate & a large Estate in Huntington allow dogs, but again, ON leash.
I am not familiar with the East End, but I understand there are a few parks there that allow dogs.

In Sarasota, most parks allow dogs, but again, ON leash only, except in dog parks or at a couple of beaches. I actually saw people being ticketed for having their dogs off leash at one of the parks.

If your view of a Dog PArk is what you describe in your post, then you haven't been to many parks. or not the good ones, anyway. There's lots of play, chasing balls, running, etc. Dogs get exercise, and, at the parks I've been to, the Owners are interacting with the dogs, and on the alert for anything that needs to be picked up. Unfortunately, there are also owners who do not pay attention to their dogs & do not pick up, but they seem to be in a minority.
As for the comment about getting fleas in dog parks, your dog is more likely to get leas or ticks walking in the woods than in the enclosed dog parks.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 AM

279 posts, read 577,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
There's no law in SRQ that says you can't walk your dog for two miles...however, we have leash laws....SRQ is not Long Island
Long Island has leash laws too. I don't know where OP walks but you are really only supposed to go off-leash in the fenced part of the parks - even the parks with miles of wooded trails.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 AM

279 posts, read 577,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
I have found Sarasota to be much MORE welcoming to dogs in parks than Long Island. There are very few parks on LI that allow dogs - on or off leash. And I do not think there are ANY that allow dogs offleash.
We go to the TEddy Roosevelt Estate to walk our dog along trails & on the beach. But they require dogs be on leash there. Likewise, Sands Point Estate & a large Estate in Huntington allow dogs, but again, ON leash.
I am not familiar with the East End, but I understand there are a few parks there that allow dogs.

In Sarasota, most parks allow dogs, but again, ON leash only, except in dog parks or at a couple of beaches. I actually saw people being ticketed for having their dogs off leash at one of the parks.

If your view of a Dog PArk is what you describe in your post, then you haven't been to many parks. or not the good ones, anyway. There's lots of play, chasing balls, running, etc. Dogs get exercise, and, at the parks I've been to, the Owners are interacting with the dogs, and on the alert for anything that needs to be picked up. Unfortunately, there are also owners who do not pay attention to their dogs & do not pick up, but they seem to be in a minority.
As for the comment about getting fleas in dog parks, your dog is more likely to get leas or ticks walking in the woods than in the enclosed dog parks.
there are some dog parks, like Gardiners Park on the south shore that has a weird mix of kids and dogs - they all end up on the beach trail together. the dog people get cranky that the kids want to pet the dogs or and parents are nervous that dogs are off-leash.

Blydenburgh in Smithtown is a huge park with a great dog park, lots of trails etc BUT the dogs are supposed to only be off-leash int he big dog/small dog fenced area. People do what they want.

THose would be the 2 best dog parks I know on LI. People are very involved and actively engaging their dogs in both of those parks. Very social too.

I remember some that weren't nearly as nice though, like Cedar Creek Park in Wantagh. Much better for kids than dogs. The dog park was 2 small caged areas with a few dirty plastic chairs.

Here, I've been to most of the dog parks but it seems like all of SRQ is so dog friendly there's not as much need for dog parks. SRQ is way more dog friendly than LI in my opinion.

I've visited most of these and they are all nice
scgov.net - Parks and Recreation

Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,545 times
as it has been stated, alot of dog owners do not clean up after their dogs. we have all seen them, dog squats and the owner looks preoccupied with something else and then moves on coincidentally when the dog is done. and then when you point it out to them they come back with the phoney see right thru it "my dog didnt do that"

the other thing is just cause they like their dogs and think they are all cute, i dont. i have my own dog and i dont need their mutt jumping up on me or have me tripping over their 75 foot retractable leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area