Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 AM

132 posts, read 325,319 times

Advertisements

Anyone know why most parks run by Sarasota County do not allow leashed dogs? I can't really understand the reason for it, especially when Pinellas County and the City of Sarasota allow leashed dogs in just about every park.

I'm sure there was some type of logic behind banning leashed dogs for the county run parks - can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Millions of dollars of non dog owning peoples money was spent for 'dog parks'. That's where dog owners bring their dog.
Leashed/unleased dogs are not allowed in all othe parks so adults/kids don't have to listen to barking dogs or need to wear clothes pins on our nose or wear rubber boots while using park facilities.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 AM

132 posts, read 325,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Millions of dollars of non dog owning peoples money was spent for 'dog parks'. That's where dog owners bring their dog.
Leashed/unleased dogs are not allowed in all othe parks so adults/kids don't have to listen to barking dogs or need to wear clothes pins on our nose or wear rubber boots while using park facilities.
Then why do the City of Sarasota and Pinellas County (which have dog parks) allow dogs in non-dog park areas and the County of Sarasota does not (expect in dog parks).

I'm not trying to be rude, but why the difference in policy when the conditions are the same? Does the Sarasota County government know something that the governments of the city of Sarasota or Pinellas County aren't aware of?

Joe

Old 02-14-2009, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
millions of dollars are also spent on kids activities by those that don't have kids, and on golf courses by those that don't play golf. Those that have dogs should be able to have the dogs in certain parks (celery fields) without being hassled by non-dog lovers. If they are not responsible then they should be fined - I am fine with that. By the way, some of us don't like to listen to kids screaming either.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 PM

51 posts, read 222,824 times
"Those that have dogs should be able to have the dogs in certain parks (celery fields) without being hassled by non-dog lovers."

Such parks exist; they're called dog parks.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:48 PM

153 posts, read 444,952 times
What are the Sarasota dog parks like? Are they little dinky things where the dog owners vegetate on benches while the dogs sniff each others' butts, cover each others' pee, and otherwise sink into boredom and muscular atrophy?

One of the great pleasures in life for a dog and its owner is a vigorous off-leash two-mile trail walk. We and our ten-year-old Portuguese Water Dog enjoy that pleasure in Long Island, NY, at least when not contemplating our tax bill. Are such American outdoor pleasures verboten in Sarasota?

If so, wouldn't the city fathers do well to take the next logical step and, in the manner of Maoist China, mandate the serving up of roast canine ("hot dogs") in the town's eateries?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,320 times
I am a dog owner and do not like dog parks because I think dogs off leash in public places are a bad idea. I'd much rather be allowed to take my dog, on lead, to a regular park for a nice long walk. I agree with th op completely.

I also agree with Dabass... I don't appreciate screaming kids. Should we kick them out of public parks, too?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,301 times
Are there any beaches in Sarasota or Charlotte counties that allow leashed dogs?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM

62 posts, read 194,957 times
Here's are a couple of websites that I found that address this issue. I believe you can have unleashed dogs in the Paw Parks only. Good luck!

www.welcometosarasota.com/dogs (broken link)
Page Not Found - Official source of Sarasota travel information – Sarasota and Her Islands (http://www.sarasotafl.org/cms/d/hound_heaven - broken link)

Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
Joe,

As a dog owner who hunts for dogs beaches, I can put in my 2 cents.

I think many people who do not have dogs dont' want to deal with dog poop and many owners are not responsible. I hate going to a beach and seeing poop that some lazy person didn't bother picking up.

Plus many owners also ignore the "leash" rule. It doesn't pertain to them. I have had to leave parks because of loose dogs running around. The owners are chatting and ignoring them while they run from family to family scaring kids,etc.

I keep my dog leashed and I pick up her poop, but I do understand why many people don't like it. There are just too many irresponsible owners

But with that said, I also think many parents are irresponsible and will come to a beach, see adults reading and the kids will screech at the top of their lungs, run around throwing sand at birds,etc. I have left beaches several times do to these exact reasons.

It would ne nice if all of us would just be more respectful of each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area