Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 AM
OAC OAC started this thread

53 posts, read 136,821 times

Advertisements

I'm having trouble finding a suitable home in Palmer Ranch, which is my preferred area for a number of reasons. I'm not sure I'm really interested in any other area, but if I were, what distance do the locals consider too far from the beach? I read a few threads on Lakewood Ranch and one of the observations about it is that it's too far from the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 07:06 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
It is not a mileage question as in season with the extra traffic it is a time issue Do not be more that twenty minutes from the beach Palmer Ranch is perfect for its proximity to most things, just keep looking

Old 06-27-2009, 10:37 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC View Post
I'm having trouble finding a suitable home in Palmer Ranch, which is my preferred area for a number of reasons. I'm not sure I'm really interested in any other area, but if I were, what distance do the locals consider too far from the beach? I read a few threads on Lakewood Ranch and one of the observations about it is that it's too far from the beach.
IMO, Palmer Ranch is a much better location for an investment or permanent home. It's much closer to the beach about 10-15 mins depending on the season. Then you have the Sarasota Square Mall right there, Potter Water Park, the YMCA, the Legacy Trail, etc. Turtle Rock even has basketball courts, a community pool and tennis.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 PM

65 posts, read 295,976 times
good advice from the above two posts. i wanted to add one thing- how often will you actually go to the beach. if it is several times a week- then you prob want to be within 20 mins. if its only once a week or less- then maybe longer than 20 mins would be ok.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC View Post
Hi OAC,
We have a house in VW, which is a subdivision in Palmer Ranch. Without traffic, it is about 20 minutes to Siesta Key. If you were in Turtle Rock you could shave maybe 5 minutes off that. In traffic it would be more, but the bigger issue would be the traffic on Midnight Pass Rd. and finding a parking spot. We like VW very much. Besides VW, the only other place we looked at in PR was the Hamptons. When we went through VW I would just stroll up to people at random and ask them their thoughts. Universally, everyone was pleased.
We did look at Lakewood Ranch, and it just didn't hit the right spot for us. However, I am sure that many people are quite happy there.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 AM

440 posts, read 1,052,718 times
About Turtle Rock-are the tennis courts decent? Are there any organized activities in TR? We are looking at Village Walk and Turtle Rock.The homes look like they are larger and have more land than in VW.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:11 AM

175 posts, read 543,923 times
We just moved into a vacation home in Palmer Ranch and have been exploring the area over the last couple of weeks. Palmer Ranch is fantastic for access to the beaches on Siesta Key. And one thing I've discovered is that being able to get to lots of stuff like shopping and restaurants and movies by back roads is a major advantage of Palmer Ranch. I find using these roads more calm and relaxing now and I bet during season it'll be even more so.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:45 AM

132 posts, read 325,263 times
Agree with the comments on traffic and parking during season. During season (Oct - April) parking spaces will be tough to come by at Siesta Key. If you're spontaneous and like to hit the beach when you feel like it as opposed to getting there before 10:30am, then you should also look for alternate beaches where you can find parking more readily.

I live near Southside Village and go to Lido Beach more often than Siesta Key simple because parking is never an issue in the afternoon when we want to go.

Joe

Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesandbeachbum View Post
Agree with the comments on traffic and parking during season. During season (Oct - April) parking spaces will be tough to come by at Siesta Key. If you're spontaneous and like to hit the beach when you feel like it as opposed to getting there before 10:30am, then you should also look for alternate beaches where you can find parking more readily.

I live near Southside Village and go to Lido Beach more often than Siesta Key simple because parking is never an issue in the afternoon when we want to go.

Joe
Right on, me too. "Too far to the beach" to me means more than 15 minute drive.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesandbeachbum View Post

Joe
I'm with you - as nice as Siesta is, it's too far for me and parking way too problematic most of the year. Even living here by the airport it's only about a 15 minute drive time to be right on Lido any time I want, and which is a pretty nice beach in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area