Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times

Advertisements

Correctional Medical Services Inc. (CMS), provider of healthcare services for the Florida Department of Corrections, has only four positions open on the Employ Florida job board for the whole state. Can that be right?
Attached Thumbnails
Jobs-correctional-jobs.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM

11 posts, read 25,549 times
Thank you all for the information!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Correctional Medical Services Inc. (CMS), provider of healthcare services for the Florida Department of Corrections, has only four positions open on the Employ Florida job board for the whole state. Can that be right?
Yeah, thats probably right, it's generally more desirable to work in a prison than in a jail. Sarasota County has a couple of jails, so does Charlotte County, depending on where you want to live you may want to check out Manatee county as well. There are also several rehab facilities that may employ LPNs - rehab as in long term care as well as psych/ drug rehab. LPNs in this area tend to do well with home health (HUGE market for it).

Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Thanks for your responses, any infor on living in Punta Gorda? do they have gated communities also?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyequeen89 View Post
Thanks for your responses, any infor on living in Punta Gorda? do they have gated communities also?

Walleyequeen.

No it is not a gated community, it is elderly, although with all the homes being sold, it is getting younger every day. Punta Gorda Isles, has two roads in (not gates), but if you are coming in you will use one of the two roads to get accross the inlet/passes.

I hope you come visit and like it! It is great, you can walk to town (although it is a bit of a hike, and I'm close), bike, kayak, swim, the town is really neat and has great restaurants - all the chain stuff is kept out of town. It is pretty safe - low crime.

Here is an entire thread that I wrote when I was exploring Punta Gorda. I recommend you read the whole thing because a lot of information is covered. A lot of people contributed to it, helped me a lot and answered many of my questions.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...st6307260.html

Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Walleyequeen.

No it is not a gated community, it is elderly, although with all the homes being sold, it is getting younger every day. Punta Gorda Isles, has two roads in (not gates), but if you are coming in you will use one of the two roads to get accross the inlet/passes.

I hope you come visit and like it! It is great, you can walk to town (although it is a bit of a hike, and I'm close), bike, kayak, swim, the town is really neat and has great restaurants - all the chain stuff is kept out of town. It is pretty safe - low crime.

Here is an entire thread that I wrote when I was exploring Punta Gorda. I recommend you read the whole thing because a lot of information is covered. A lot of people contributed to it, helped me a lot and answered many of my questions.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...st6307260.html
thanks alot and i seen ur pics of fishing my husband and i luv to fish! So do you live in Punta gorda? were in our 40's so im sure well fit in. How about colleges? we have a son that graduates this may and Im moving down in july. We are from illinois.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
I did corrections for a while as well. You'll have an easier time getting into the jails than the prisons. There is a prison in Punta Gorda, it would be a haul for you though. The prison in Arcadia is closer to Sarasota, it is a designated facility for sex offenders, don't know if that makes a difference for you or not.

Don't know how you feel about jails vs. prisons, I always prefer prisons because in a jail there are just too many variables, prisons are always a bit more controlled. But there are plenty of county jails that are always looking for nurses. Good luck in your search.
Yellfire, Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the difference between a jail and a prison?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:41 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
Yellfire, Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the difference between a jail and a prison?
A jail would house anyone sentenced to under a years time. There is also usually a section that has juveniles as well. It also has people that awaiting trial. So in jail you usually have your people sentenced for DUI, theft, small drug charges, prostitution, etc.

A prison would have the people sentenced to more than a year. Those people are usually in for murder, rape, big drug charges, etc

Also a jail is run by the county and if you worked at a prison you'd be an employee of the state. They have different benefits, health care, pension plans, etc

Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
thanks alot and i seen ur pics of fishing my husband and i luv to fish! So do you live in Punta gorda? were in our 40's so im sure well fit in. How about colleges? we have a son that graduates this may and Im moving down in july. We are from illinois.
The closest college to Punta Gorda would be Edison- http://www.edison.edu/ It's in Punta Gorda off Airport Rd

Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
I think if you like to fish then, PGI is the perfect location. Check it out! Google it or Virtual Earth it, and you will see tons of canals with gulf access. I have a very active life style. I like to live hard when I'm not working hard. :-)

There are plenty of great colleges all over Florida. If your son is into creative writing - check out Ringling College in Winter Park! It is a beautiful small campus. If he is into Art then Ringling may be for him, but there are plenty of good schools around.

I would read the entire thread, and if it interests you then I would schedule a trip down. The thread will answer a ton of questions and give you a lot of guidance as will many others here!

Good Luck! Fishing is great! I just took a course on throwing a cast net today, and learned a much better method than what I was attempting to do! I went to Lovers Key Beach, near Ftl Myers - the Game Wardens gave the lesson, and were really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area