Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 06:57 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times

Advertisements

stay east of 75 otherwise forget it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM

19 posts, read 47,689 times
This is all very interesting as we are moving from Alaska and Bradenton was way up on the list of locations. So the question is: Where NOT to live in the area. I know that nowhere is guaranteed safe, even up here, but there are definitely parts of town you don't want to be in. Where would that be in Bradenton?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
stay east of 75 otherwise forget it
Well, that eliminates many parts of Bradenton that are very nice. The problem, as I see it from a visitor's perspective, is that there are nice areas right next to crappy areas; so it's easy for the criminals to mosey on over to the beautiful sub-division down the street, break in and then high-tail it back to the seedy trailer park or rundown area of town. (I KNOW not all trailer parks are seedy, so please don't flame me.) I visit my mother in Bradenton (near 75th & Cortez) often. From reading the paper and watching the news, I do think there's quite a bit of crime for a relatively small town. I always am on my guard anywhere in Bradenton because the criminals can be quite brazen. As far as moving there goes, I guess it would be a matter of doing your due diligence before selecting a location -- check crime statistics, talk to residents, and continue to get information from locals here on the forum. But wow -- Alaska to Florida -- quite a dramatic weather change! Good luck to you.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 AM

19 posts, read 47,689 times
Default Moving to Bradenton

Thanks Avalon08. Weather up here has simply gotten untenable. At this moment it's 48, cloudy, rainy and well, crappy. My girlfriend lived in Bradenton 18 years ago and loved it. We were just there last week on vacation and I liked what I saw, especially out at Anna Maria. There, like here, you have to be pretty careful where you set down your roots. I have read a consensus in this forum that says just about anywhere east of I-75 is pretty much okay. It's also interesting to note that on the stats page, Bradenton has a much higher crime rate than Anchorage. What's up with that? And yes, I know, crime etc, is everywhere and there's no place really safe. It doesn't hurt to at least check out the neighboorhood.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:58 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Bradenton's scoop: full of P**p

Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 AM

182 posts, read 1,001,681 times
Thumbs up I Love Bradenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal Nomad View Post
The Wife and I are checking out the areas around Tampa and would like to know the better areas to look at.

We are looking to buy a home in the 200-300 market and family oriented.

One thing that I donot want to get into are over zelous HOA's with their stuffy attitudes. We are not a slob's by any means but having a friend over parked out front over night is a possibility.

We are living in Dallas Texas in an area called Lakewood for anyone who knows the area as a comparison.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks and Go Gators!
I've lived here 10 years and love everything about it.
It's centrally located so going elsewhere in the state is a short drive.
The crime is like that of any other place. We have some.

Taxes are low here and there are jobs!! Some say there are NO jobs but they want a big wage and not have to do anything.
Wouldn't that be nice?!?!?

B-Town as it's called is one of the better places to live in Florida.
The rest is nice to travel to and vacation in.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:07 AM

182 posts, read 1,001,681 times
Thumbs up B-Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, that eliminates many parts of Bradenton that are very nice. The problem, as I see it from a visitor's perspective, is that there are nice areas right next to crappy areas; so it's easy for the criminals to mosey on over to the beautiful sub-division down the street, break in and then high-tail it back to the seedy trailer park or rundown area of town. (I KNOW not all trailer parks are seedy, so please don't flame me.) I visit my mother in Bradenton (near 75th & Cortez) often. From reading the paper and watching the news, I do think there's quite a bit of crime for a relatively small town. I always am on my guard anywhere in Bradenton because the criminals can be quite brazen. As far as moving there goes, I guess it would be a matter of doing your due diligence before selecting a location -- check crime statistics, talk to residents, and continue to get information from locals here on the forum. But wow -- Alaska to Florida -- quite a dramatic weather change! Good luck to you.
I live very close to Cortez and I haven't seen or heard of a problem.
Crime is everywhere. Just a week or so ago a woman was shot outside a restaurant on Cortez.
The shooter was her e-boyfriend.
That can happen anywhere. My Church is right off of Cortez.
Bradenton is a wonderful place to live when you stay closer to the west coast.
Too funny, everyone has their own opinion and I for one have left my front door unlocked.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,733,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaclady View Post
I've lived here 10 years and love everything about it.
It's centrally located so going elsewhere in the state is a short drive.
The crime is like that of any other place. We have some.

B-Town as it's called is one of the better places to live in Florida.
The rest is nice to travel to and vacation in.
"B-Town as it's called is one of the better places to live in Florida." Where exactly did you live before "B-Town"- Miami? If so, then I can see why you would like Bradenton, otherwise I can think of better Florida towns then Bradenton.

I too have lived here for 10 years going on 11 and I came here from Orlando- born and raised. I'm not a fan of Bradenton. Sometimes it's nice, but the crime is still uneasy to me. If you want a really nice city- go to Sarasota. Best Suncoast City in my opinion.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:31 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,733,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Bradenton's scoop: full of P**p
Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaclady View Post
I live very close to Cortez and I haven't seen or heard of a problem.
Crime is everywhere. Just a week or so ago a woman was shot outside a restaurant on Cortez.
The shooter was her e-boyfriend.
That can happen anywhere. My Church is right off of Cortez.
Bradenton is a wonderful place to live when you stay closer to the west coast.
Too funny, everyone has their own opinion and I for one have left my front door unlocked.
I too live very close to Cortez and 75th. Not a lot has happened recently, but just about a month or two ago, a man was walking home and was robbed at gunpoint. Happened on Cortez Rd. just in front of Harbour Pointe Apts.

Colonial Grand Apts. at Palma Sola has also seen it's share of crime. Many times they have had car robberies, apt. break-in's, etc.

Early in 2008, the west area had what I nicknamed "Graffiti Thursday". Up and down both Cortez Rd. and 75th Street- graffiti was everywhere. Buildings, walls, signs. Most of it has been cleaned up, but on the side of the Badcock Building on Cortez- you can see that they painted over the letters on the side of the builidng. It's very visible.

More things happen in this area then people think. I can list you a number of things, if I had A LOT of time.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I tell my Mom to ALWAYS keep her door locked. As I said, the criminals there are very bold and crafty. In my Mom's own development, an elderly woman had her purse stolen by a mother-son team (nice!) who scammed their way into her house. Another lady let some guy take her car for a test-drive and he drove off with it. My Mom's financial adviser lives in a beautiful home along the river and it was broken into twice. She also told me about being in a drive-through line at a fast-food place on Cortez when a guy drove up, blocked her car, got out and demanded money from her. While I too think Sarasota's beautiful, it doesn't seem to be immune to these types of crimes either. My girlfriend's parents no sooner moved there when their home was robbed in broad daylight.

I don't know if the warm weather attracts the criminals or what, but it seems that entire area has way too much crime. Living in an affluent development doesn't necessarily shield you from it. I think one needs to be super-vigilant, keep doors locked, beware of strangers approaching, etc. Just MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area