Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 13,330 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has positive/negative feedback/assistance on this!!!! My husband can transfer within his company but everyone he talks to tells him he wouldnt like it in Florida because it HOT 12 months out of the year and that there is way too much poverty in the state!!! I know it is hotter in the summertime but I also know that there is beautiful weather you all get down there in the Fall/Winter months!!! We have 3 children (ages 9, 5 and 2) was wondering about school systems, neighborhoods and crime rates!!! If anyone can help me at all, please respond!!! Thank you all sooo much!!! <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM

151 posts, read 559,692 times
I can tell you that we are moving because of the HOT and we get the same thing, how much we are going to hate it and blah blah blah but honestly whenever I am there I love it. I think if you are a sun loving, beach adoring person you will be fine like me. Plus the people are always really friendly down there.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 PM

48 posts, read 114,247 times
NO doubt it is hot here in the summer! But it is wonderful during the winter months! I am a native New Yorker and I have adapted very well to the climate here. Sure the humidity gets to you sometimes, but then I just remember black ice, snow and wind chill factors! You mention lots of poverty in Florida; I guess that could be said of any state... (even NJ) on the flip side there is a lot (I mean a lot) of money$$$$ here too (playground for many of the richest!). We also have our fair share of the average Joe, which I am a proud member of that club! I have a son in UCF and a younger son who just graduated 5th grade and attends PineViewSchool (for the gifted) in Osprey (one of the nation's best!). There are wonderful schools in the Sarasota county area (due to my lack of experience - I can not comment on other areas - I will leave that to the experts and data. Here is a link you might want to check out.
Florida School Ratings and Statistics
What area are you guys looking at moving to?
I live in Venice and coming from NYC crime is NOT an issue in my sleepy part of paradise.
The members on this forum are always generous with feedback so I am sure you will get lots of replies and lots of useful information.
Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,932,345 times
Sarasota county has one of the best school systems in the state of Florida. It also has Pine View School for the Gifted, which was ranked the top school in Florida and one of the top schools in the Nation. It is a public school and the requirements are that you live in Sarasota county, have an IQ of 130 or more, pass the achievement tests required and have teacher recommendations. I have two children that attend PV and we are more than pleased with the school. It services grades 2nd-12th. Here's some more info on that subject:
Welcome to Pine View School
Pine View School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Public Elites - Newsweek.com
Pine View wraps up perfect Olympics | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
America's Best High Schools: Gold Medal List - US News and World Report

There are many other fantastic school in Sarasota county. Here's a website where you can see how the schools are rated:
School Accountability Report...
or www.GreatSchools.com

Alright, if I were checking out schools other than Pine View these are the schools that I would look into, in order.

Southside services most of the downtown area south of Main St. North of Main would be mostly Booker school district. The Palmer Ranch area is mostly Ashton school district. There are other schools in the area but these are ones that I have either had personal experience with or I have friends that have kids in the schools.

Sarasota ranks as one of the top districts in the state by a number of measures, including test scores, graduation rates and teacher compensation.

It offers distinctive programs tailored to different student needs, including Florida's only school for the gifted, the state's largest special needs school and one of a handful of career-focused high schools.

For Elementary
Southside Elementary
Venice Elementary
Ashton Elementary
Cranberry Elementary (North Port)
Taylor Ranch (southern Sarasota county)
Lakeview Elementary
Gulf Gate Elementary
Laurel Nokomis Elementary (mid Sarasota county)
Tatum Ridge Elementary
Garden Elementary
Phillipi Shores
Fruitville Elementary
Englewood Elementary (southern Sarasota county)

For Middle
Sarasota Middle

High School
Riverview

Now as far as the neighborhoods. I would need more info to suggest a neighborhood. Do you have a job down here? What kind of things are important to you-the beach, tennis, golf, boating, etc?

Since you said you have kids I would initially suggest looking at Palmer Ranch. Palmer Ranch one of Sarasota's most popular and largest master planned communities with over 10,000 acres. Palmer Ranch actually consists of many neighborhoods, all individually operated under their own HOA. The common areas of Palmer Ranch are maintained by a master association. The overall look and feel of PR is "green" - the roads are grass and treelined, the sidewalks wind throughout the entire community, and they have recently been able to add the Legacy Trail to the many great aspects. The Legacy Trail is a paved walking/biking trail that runs through the woods along the path of the old railroad track.

Palmer Ranch is districted for great schools, is only 10-15 minutes to the beach, and is next door to the mall, new 12-screen movie theater and a fantastic YMCA complex, including a huge waterpark. Palmer Ranch is very popular with families.

Reymore St is the southern boundary for Palmer Ranch. The eastern boundary runs out to I-75, the western boundary goes to Beneva and the northern boundary runs nearly to Clark Rd. This tells a little more about Palmer Ranch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Ranch Within Palmer Ranch is CJ Lofino YMCA Complex. It has a full aquatic center, gym/fitness, basketball, swimming, tennis, and water park for the kids.

You might want to check out Turtle Rock, Stonebridge, Deer Creek and The Hamptons-all in Pamler Ranch.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,665 times
I agree, the heat is not hard to deal with once you live here. Those that dont like the heat, like my hubby did before we moved will get used to it- it's completely worth it once the winter months hit. The school systems in Manatee and Sarasota are excellent and the people here are so friendly. Its a state like no other, and it's a complete lifesyle change for so many of us. There is poverty everywhere and that takes some getting used to, however this forum will be very helpful in finding an area that you will be happy with.
We moved from Chicago 4 years ago, and I will never go back. I own 5 pairs of socks, and my husband owns 2 pairs of jeans..we grill all year long and have learned to appreciate a cloudy cool day-something I was used to seeing every other day!
You will be giving your children a better lifestyle also-sunshine, beaches and warmth instead of cold, dreary days..Good luck, and stick here--many of us have been through relocation and can help!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,278 times
Oobie nailed it.

Yes, it gets HOT.

But here's the thing: once you embrace the lifestyle, and you make the perspective and wardrobe adjustments, you'll find yourself not minding the heat.

And there's no way that when you weigh it all out, you cannot justify it. It's a far healthier environment than anywhere I have ever lived, and when you're healthier, you'll just have a better quality of life.

And raising kids? I'd say this is the way to go.

Hope you find all this to be true.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 AM

6 posts, read 13,330 times
Thank you for all of your great information!! I will now go through this with my husband and hope that this would make him feel better about the move!! I just LOVE Florida and know that once we get down there and settled he will wonder why it took us so long!!! I think the negative people are putting a damper on it!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,144,228 times
where abouts in nj are you from? we moved out of old bridge a couple months ago. we have owned a house down here for 3 years and rented it for income. we moved because we had to, long story. now looking back it was a blessing in disguise. we love the weather, the people and there is so much to do. it is a whole other life style. and sure its hot. its hot right now and will be thru september. but when all the other nj people are shoveling and doing the 3 hour commute up the turnpike in the snow you will be walking on the beach in shorts. i was concerned about the schools. when we got here we had 2 in middle school. now one has moved on to highschool. we were told that the hs is in the top 100 in the nation according to newsweek. definitely did not have that as an option in middlesex county. the schools are clean and the faculty takes pride in what they do with genuine excitement. where about are you looking to move down here? if you have any specific questions feel free to direct or private message me and i will be glad to respond.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,665 times
Dont worry about the negative people--I have found that many of them are jealous because they are either too afraid to make the move, or they simply are tied to where they are for whatever reason. Be sure to tell your hubby that my husband--HATED the heat, back in Chicago he'd complain if it was 80--now, he works in the heat of the summer all day..and never complains. He knows that when December rolls around and it's 60--he's lovin it!!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,144,228 times
should have put in earlier post that i do not miss the arrogant, overly aggresive attitudes of central and northern nj. there is no rush to be first and beat someone out for line position here.

nor do i miss the keeping up with the jonses trap. meaning, buying junk i dont need to try and impress and keep up with people i didnt even like.

Last edited by gettinoutofjersey; 06-08-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area