Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,294 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am considering moving to Savannah after a few trips to your lovely city. I'm interested in a lease purchase agreement as I try to sell my home in rural WV. I have lived in D.C. briefly, but mostly spent my life in small rural towns in WV and VA. I'm totally at a loss as to what neighborhoods are safe for a single female. I can't afford the historic district but I'd like to be fairly close. I have no problem with diversity and look forward to meeting a variety of people and neighbors...however, I'm a 100 lb, short white girl who loves to jog in the evenings and enjoys coming and going as I please. I am a professor who works from home so loud neighbors wouldn't be conducive to working! I have been working with a few realtors and also scouring Craigslist. One home that I can afford is on LeGrand....Can someone give me advice on streets, addresses or areas that are probably affordable for a single salary professional and would most likely be fairly free of crime? Even an idea of the parameters around the historic district in which I could leave my vehicle parked on the street without significant fear of a break-in would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,279 times
My advice is to secure a job here first, then rent while you scout the areas that will work best for you.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
the areas surrounding the historic district are not always good. Often they are as old as the historic (restored)area, but have not been kept up. Some might even say they are more like a ghetto area.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
In general, your car is fairly safe on the street if you don't leave anything of value in it. I've ever heard of LeGrand, which is not a good sign. You probably shouldn't live there.

Don't jog in the evening unless you live in the burbs -- at least till you know your neighborhood well.

The historic district is more or less bounded by Bay St., MLK, East Broad, and Gwinnett. There are iffy areas along some edges. The Victorian district is directly south of there. If you find something immediately to the east or west, don't bother. Those areas are still too rough for a single female.

There are still plenty of neighborhoods where a single woman can live safely and have fun downtown. But since no one is paying me for this information, that's really all I can say in a few short sentences.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:48 PM

I actually am a remote employee so I already have a job :-)

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM

I appreciate your help and the fact that you responded out of the goodness of your heart. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 PM

okay-this is good to know. So trying to stay within the historic district is best in your opinion?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
If you like the Historic District kind of life, then, it would be ok for you. A lot of peopler love living there. Are you interested in a condo? Or do you want a garden/lawn type of home? I'm a little hazy about LeGrand Street too. I think it would be in a section that would bother you a little to run in by yourself.

Your best bet would be to rent for about 6 months to a year until you have a feel for the entire area. You might find that living out on one of the Island suits you better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: