Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,457 times

Advertisements

Hi! I thought the old Brown Farm was located like where Mongomery Crossroads is now. Help! Thanks. David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 PM

24 posts, read 76,031 times
Default Brown Farm

David said, "Hi! I thought the old Brown Farm was located like where Mongomery Crossroads is now. Help! Thanks. David"

Think Lake Mayer area. The development of the Lake Mayer recreation area was delayed several times between the closing of the prison farm for misdemeanor offenders and its eventual development.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 AM

11 posts, read 21,871 times
Thank you for your post, so nice recourse, i like it. Nike Blazers Women Shoes this time around the shoes are done in white and peach color combination. White leather is used on the vamp and the tongue. The peach is accented with Nike Swoosh, lacing plate, inner lining, and at the base, while the Liberty Fabric full of the side panel. Sale Cheap Nike Blazers Women available at nikehome.net. These Low Nike Blazers are easy to suit for your wear.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,881 times
Mrs. Scott,

In the roll of the executive director of the Bacon Park Neighborhood association, I would think that you would fully embrace the wonderful historical significance of the area and be glad to have interesting historical facts that add color and texture to the beautiful area that is Bacon Park rather than viewing such information as defamatory. You will probably be mortified to know I stumbled upon this forum while looking for online historical resources for the Brown Farm.

You will also be pleased to know that Bacon Park cannot claim the Brown Farm, The Blue Farm, nor the Savannah City dump as part of Bacon Park's historical heritage as these facilities were not located in your neighborhood. However, I cannot attest to how many Bacon Park residents may have spent time at these facilities.

My great-grandfather, James Francis Collins was the farm chief of the Brown Farm and his grandson, my father, James Francis Poe spent a great deal of time with his family at the Brown Farm during the 30s and 40s. The Brown farm main camp is in what is now the Mayfair subdivision bounded by Montgomery Cross Roads, the canal, and Sallie Mood Drive. The fields where crops were grown was bounded by the canal east of Sallie Mood Drive, Sallie Mood Drive itself, and Eisenhower Drive. The dump was located east of Sallie Mood drive where part of Lake Mayer is with the entrance directly across from Foxhall Rd in the present day. This [url]https://maps.google.com/maps?q=savannah+GA&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88fb75fc78f20659:0x4e0c6751036020bc, Savannah,+GA&gl=us&ei=BLEsUsyfI4-x4AOJnoDYAQ&ved=0CL4BELYD[/url] map link may assist you in visualizing the area.

The Brown Farm got it's name from the brown clothes the prisoners wore. The male only prisoners grew the food used by many of the county agencies and charities. A prisoner of note at the Brown Farm was Robert Mitchum, who had been picked up at 14 years old for riding the rails and charged with vagrancy.

The Blue farm was for troubled african-american youth and named so for the blue outfits the youth wore while there. It was located near where Benedictine Military School is today. There was also a white women's facility near the current Benedictine location. Additionally, chain gang prison no 1 is located on the grounds where Memorial Hospital is today.

I hope I laid your mind to rest regarding the controversy over the dump and the Brown Farm locations. I would also like to mention a resource that I found useful as the president of a homeowners association and I think you may find useful in the carrying out of your duties as the Executive Director of The Bacon Park Neighborhood Association. It is the [url=http://www.georgia-sex-offenders.com/maps/offenders.php]Georgia Sex Offender Maps[/url] Georgia Sex Offender Registry. It has maps to see where the sex offenders live in all of Georgia including Bacon Park.

Best Regards.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
I know this thread was started long ago, but I hope the OP has managed to get a grip in the interim. One of the more likeable aspects of Southerners is the way we tend to embrace all our historical legacy, not just the things that are "prestigious". We all have certain burls on our family trees, and most of us are okay with it--even (gasp) have a sense of humor about it.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM

10 posts, read 13,118 times
LOL, imagine if this lady was legitimately trolled. Popcorn time.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:45 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggs467 View Post
LOL, imagine if this lady was legitimately trolled. Popcorn time.
Elizabeth Scott is a famous curmudgeon. Really. I've heard she calls public officials and leaves long ranting messages about the craziest things. I've also head she's something of a bully. Look her up. She frequently writes letters to the editor at the SMN.

Last edited by ellie; 09-11-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,735 times
Smile The old dump

While working for the City of Savannah Engineering Dept. in the very early 1970's I did a topological survey of the portion of Bacon Park where the Huge water tanks, fire station, vehicle maintenance, and the police precinct were constructed. Actually the police precinct was housed in a mobile home. While working and covering every sq. ft. I walked over thousands of broken bottles, tin cans and other refuse including an old car which was partially buried. It definitely was a dump used by someone but I do not believe it was the City. The Brown farm and ccc had to dispose of refuse and that is a very logical site for them to do so, and that was a common practice at the time. Dump it in the woods. Additionally, the pond mentioned here was filled in by a tree cutting service and covered over with soil hence the methane gas also mentioned here. I sincerely hope that my comments here do not offend anyone. I have stated what I saw happen. I believe that the Bacon Park land extended to Montgomery Crossroad where Lake Mayer was constructed.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
All I know is, this thread was a rousing good read.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I know is, this thread was a rousing good read.
I totally agree! And during the Great Depression, the entire Southside was apparently one huge colony of ne'er do wells, juvenile delinquents, bad seeds, sleazy women, shady men and rabid dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area