Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepairLaunch View Post
Thinking of relocating in the Savannah area in 6 months, mostly because of the weather/location. We live in Southern Florida and it's just too hot.
I'd say it's just as hot if not hotter here than in SFL. You have two cooling influences on either side of you: The Gulf & the Atlantic. We only have one, and it doesn't do that great of a job as it stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 AM

43 posts, read 80,155 times
I have been self-employed in a professional position in the Savannah area, but have seen my revenues drop by nearly 20% this year. Combined with my husband's layoff in early summer, we are relocating to a more metro area where I have accepted a position and there will be more opportunity for him.

My very educated and experienced husband -- a Midwesterner -- was overlooked for jobs because he was "not from around these parts." The fact that I was born and raised here did not matter. It is a "tight" area, meaning the good ole' boy network is well entrenched and functioning. As one gentleman we met who retired from New York to the Landings ("outsider enclave" in Savannah), Savannah is a "closed society".

Not trying to scare you, but want to be realistic with you. Savannah is a lousy job town. Trust me, and I say this as a well traveled person, there are better places to live than the greater Savannah metro area.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
This was posted by me not too long ago from the relocatee thread at the top of the Savannah forum.

Employment in Savannah
Many of Savannah's employers have you do online applications and sending in a professional resume will do some good. Sure, there are places in town that run by that retched "good ole boy system" but there are also those employers that specialize in certain industries that experience will help you go a LONG way in the long run. DO submit an application/resume, DON'T wait forever for that call. Call them back a few times, but not three times a day, or even once a day. Give it a little time, then call once or twice. If you can, visit your potential employer, or at the very least, Savannah, where your employer is to see if the place is a good fit for you if you haven't already (and you should have already BTW). After all is said and done, if the employer doesn't see that you are THAT interested, I would definitely search elsewhere for employment. My overall point: Make sure you have employment options before your move here!

There is also more good information in that thread for those interested instead of posting another and another asking the same questions.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 9,981 times
I totally agree with you, lived in Charleston SC and savannah Ga
but loved Charleston more, people treated you more respectable
in other words they know their manners.
We are probably going to move as soon as we can.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 9,981 times
I totally agree with you, it's beautiful in Savannah, but jobs are hard to find here, at least for me
and I am on the outside looking in, tried to fit in, and cannot.
we will be moving as soon as one of us finds jobs somewhere else,

Loved Charleston SC though, people are very nice, and also treat one another with class, and if they
have an issue with you, they will tell you in a nice way. that's just my opinion though.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmba View Post
I totally agree with you, it's beautiful in Savannah, but jobs are hard to find here, at least for me
and I am on the outside looking in, tried to fit in, and cannot.
we will be moving as soon as one of us finds jobs somewhere else,

Loved Charleston SC though, people are very nice, and also treat one another with class, and if they
have an issue with you, they will tell you in a nice way. that's just my opinion though.
You sure do like repeating yourself. I've found similar posts in 5 different threads on here.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,101 times
the weather in savannah ga is not much different then the weather in southern fla..minus as many hurricane scares yearly =)

not to discourage you in moving, have you tried looking for employments opportunities first before your leap?

Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmquiroz View Post

not to discourage you in moving, have you tried looking for employments opportunities first before your leap?
This.

Especially in this economy, don't move until you have a new job lined up FIRST!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,401 times
I have just rec'd a great promotion with my company and it has me relocating from Columbus Ohio to Savannah GA, I've never been more nervous or excited about anything in my life, I can not pass up this chance to better my career and my family is very excited about the move, which should be within the next 3-6 months. My biggest concern is a good neighborhood, and schools, for my 10 yr old son, any info would be much appreciated.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM

249 posts, read 803,488 times
The ocean is at Tybee Island. But they have no school there. You really need to do as much research as possible before your kids end up in a school which will make them stupid. Many public schools here are useless. The teachers cannot pronounce words properly and your kids will get bored and disillusioned very quickly. Oh, sure, many people will answer you saying all kinds of wonderful things about Savannah, but what is their income level compared to your own? If you are a single parent and a hair stylist, waitress, retail salesperson and get answers from, say a couple where one is a medical doctor and the other is an engineer, well, do the math. You cannot afford to live where they live. Your children will not be in the same schools with their children.

That being said, their are many affordable places to live around Georgetown (an area in Chatham county just south of Savannah) and they have excellent schools. I know this because my child hated the teachers here so much that she became a teacher herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area