Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 PM

214 posts, read 900,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Skidaway Island, aka The Landings is a gated community made up mostly of wealthy retired people. Richmond Hill has more young families.
1500 Kids live in The Landings.

It would probaly be wise to do a little research before you post information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFamilyof3 View Post
Skidaway sounds like the neighborhood we live in now. Most of our neighbors are retired - there is only one other family on our block with children. We love it, though. It's a very close-knit community, and our daughter has lots of adopted grandmas and grandpas.

I've been looking at real estate listings online and I like the look of the houses on Skidaway - seems like they have larger yards, mature trees, more privacy.

The length of the commute is something we're considering - my husband would be working near the Savannah airport.

We know people who live in the Southbridge development, and they seem to like it. My only concern is that I don't want to live in a neighborhood where they're going to tell me that I can't park my car in the driveway or paint my house a certain color. I don't know if Southbridge is like that, but "planned communities" tend to make me nervous.

We live very close to the water here in California and I hate to give that up. That's one of the appeals of Skidaway, along with the state park which looks very nice.

Thanks for the information so far! We're hoping to go down for a visit soon - we've both been there before, my husband quite frequently for business, but never really looking with an eye to move there.

The Landings sounds right up your alley. The airport will be a 30 minute drive if you take Skidaway to Derenne to 516.

There is a lot of privacy at the Landings with the trees and is a community all to its self.

Have you checked out Isle of Hope? That is where I live and it is very nice. Dutch Island is by Isle of Hope and deserves a look as well.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
1500 Kids live in The Landings.

It would probaly be wise to do a little research before you post information.
Really? 1500? I looked for that info and couldn't find it.

According to the 2000 census there were approx. 7000 residents on Skidaway Island and only 11% of them were under the age of 18. City Data's 2007 info puts that number at under 1000. The vast majority are still retirees.

And --- there are many, many more young families in Richmond Hill.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...d-Georgia.html
http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...l-Georgia.html

Last edited by ellie; 12-23-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-24-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Really? 1500? I looked for that info and couldn't find it.

According to the 2000 census there were approx. 7000 residents on Skidaway Island and only 11% of them were under the age of 18. City Data's 2007 info puts that number at under 1000. The vast majority are still retirees.

And --- there are many, many more young families in Richmond Hill.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...d-Georgia.html
http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...l-Georgia.html
The Landings has become much "younger" since that 2000 census. There are over 10,000 people out there now. Many young doctors and professionals have moved out there. Organizers out there tell me 1500.

There are also many activities for kids out there. Soccer fields, pools, golf camps, summer camps, etc. Sounds like what the poster is looking for IMO.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,635 times
I can't speak for the Landings, but be sure to check out Buckhead and Buckhead North in Richmond Hill. Drive to Savannah Airport and Gulfstream is 15 to 20 minutes (easy access to I-95.) We've never had a problem getting downtown--we go all the time.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
cbz

22 posts, read 115,525 times
Thank you for all the information about the Landings. We are considering a move to Savannah GA area and have been looking online at Richmond Hill because of the schools - but I was unfamiliar with the Landings. There are so many nice homes there - do you know what the HS is? Thanks!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,833 times
Richmond Hill schools really fare no better than the decent schools in Savannah, honestly. It isn't like the Richmond Hill schools are really exceptional at all. If you doubt your kid's abilities to do well in school then you just might need a special school. The education is there in ALL of the schools. It's just the kids that are made to attend that don't really care about an education is what drives the numbers down in any school....why can't adults get that through their heads? I think that if I was of school age again that I could go to Savannah High or Beach or whatever and get a great education. Then again, I always worked my butt off in school, did what I was told, didn't do drugs or drink or break laws. If public schools are what you really want, the Landings is slotted to attend the best schools in Savannah anyway with great teachers, college prep, AP classes, honors classes. Oglethorpe charter is exceptional, Savannah Arts is, as well. And they put anything in Richmond Hill to shame, and that's no lie. And Hesse elementary is great and they are now having 6-8th grade as well and that school rivals Richmond Hill schools anyday. Richmond Hill used to be a gold mine, but as with any new area, more and more people move there and when population goes up....some numbers go down, like educational scores. I send my kids to a religious school for religious reasons, but I went to public school in New Orleans and got an incredible education and earned scholarships to college. You get what you want out of education...I was always in honors classes and worked hard. Any kid taking the most challenging classes because they want to are always going to do better than the kids that are just in school so they don't get arrested for truancy. I went to school with plenty of those, but they weren't in any of my classes except for PE, so what would be the problem?

Most of my kids' friends live at the Landings. It is beautiful beyond belief and I would love to look at that daily driving from my house to anywhere and back again. It is really that gorgeous, well designed and well maintained. It makes you want to go walking daily. How much would you pay to not have idiots litter up and down your street. How much would you pay to have security, not really have to worry if you forgot to lock your door, not have to see eight cars parked in your neighbor's lawn, not have to pick up some drunk's beer bottle thrown in your yard on their way home from partying? My kids LOVE biking through the Landings and I'll tell you what....I don't have panic attacks or worry about some child molester stalking them. Look at that website and see how many live in any particular area and then look at how many live in the zip 31411. Fishing in any pond, kayaking right there, nature trails, safe jogging, safe biking, clean facilities everywhere.

The drive out of Richmond Hill is depressing IMHO. My friends live out there and we RARELY go to their house. I hate that drive. The Landings is 15 minutes to anything. Richmond Hill is at least 35. 1 hour with typical traffic. I would hate spending years of my life in a car, but I have ADD so maybe that is why I just can't STAND sitting in a car. My house is 10 minutes to anything, but if I could I would live at the Landings any day. You can't pay enough to live around such beauty every single day of your life....and safety. Lots of my friends live out there and they aren't anywhere near retirement age. It is no longer a retirement village. People want to live around beauty and safety and the older people that live there are classy and really nice. It is nice to see people smile and wave to you daily.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbz View Post
Thank you for all the information about the Landings. We are considering a move to Savannah GA area and have been looking online at Richmond Hill because of the schools - but I was unfamiliar with the Landings. There are so many nice homes there - do you know what the HS is? Thanks!
What is HS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area