Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
We are in a big miscommunication here. Let me just ask you this. Once you get the bridge over to the area you are talking about which would be easily possible. How would you connect it over to the OTHER bridge - Hwy. 17. which would be the reason you are building the bridge in the FIRST PLACE. I understand the race track side would be fine to have all kinds of roads on. But it is completely impossible to run the road east and west to connect it to the other bridge - Hwy. 17. I 've been out there many times playing golf and KNOW that you cannot connect the road east and west becuase of the new reserve and the golf course. That's why we said up above that you would have to run the road on over the back river and marsh to connect it to 17.

You obviously have no clue what I'm talking about or haven't been on the reserve - golf course site. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Again, tell me how they are going to connect the bridge to Hwy. 17. Puting another bridge and road over to the old race track would be fine but it wouldn't just be to make a "beautiful" bridge. The purpose would be to direct traffic around downtown.
I mentioned before that there would be a second bridge going over the Back River into South Carolina where the extended Truman would connect with US 17 (Hopefully widened by then).

NO road would go west towards the Talmadge Bridge and through the golf course & the residential development to connect up with US 17 in Georgia, it would happen further up in Carolina.

Yes, a miscommunication. Hope that clears it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,516 times
Ok, how about building a new bridge across both rivers, over the SC marsh & have it meet SC 170? Then widen 170 back to 17 & over the Talmadge. A benefit for both states?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:38 PM

You must mean the ALT 170 that veers off 5 miles in to Carolina. I'm not sure having two roads paralleling each other would be very feasible. (Extended Truman paralleling US 17)

A possible secondary plan could have the one bridge going completely over Hutchinson and meeting up to US 17 near Temptations in SC. There would obviously still be access to Hutchinson but via the Talmadge as always. The only problem with that though is that one bridge would be longer and/or larger than the other.

I do think it would benefit both states to widen US 17 & ALT 170 past Levy and where 170 continues to Bluffton. I think all of that should be widened. I'm thinking some of the stubborn locals over there, once you get closer to Bluffton, will resist though because they like their tree canopies. Regardless of how much it really is needed. I like the tree canopies too, but theres gotta be a way to widen that road and save the tree canopies as well? ...Thats another subject.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

I do think it would benefit both states to widen US 17 & ALT 170 past Levy and where 170 continues to Bluffton. I think all of that should be widened. I'm thinking some of the stubborn locals over there, once you get closer to Bluffton, will resist though because they like their tree canopies. Regardless of how much it really is needed. I like the tree canopies too, but theres gotta be a way to widen that road and save the tree canopies as well? ...Thats another subject.
I firmly believe one reason SC has not widened 17 is because it's viewed as a way for locals & tourists to take their money out of state to Savannah. I mean, why spend money to widen a road when it's used to take people & their money out of state?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
I firmly believe one reason SC has not widened 17 is because it's viewed as a way for locals & tourists to take their money out of state to Savannah. I mean, why spend money to widen a road when it's used to take people & their money out of state?
Who knows. Either way, eventually they're gonna HAVE to widen that stretch of road due to the Jasper Port Terminal. Can't wait to see how that goes.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Another thought:

Let I-16 go over the Talmadge bridge into SC, bring (what is now Hwy 17) up to interstate standard with a major exit at SC 170, continue it on over 278 & meet up with I-95 (call it SC exit 10 or 12). Direct interstate access to Savannah & the new port. Then..build a new bridge from the Truman over into SC, meeting at the major exit with US 170, and brand it I-316 (or 716 or 916).

Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM

In order to do that you'd have to upgrade the Talmadge to interstate standards, plus a whole lot of other stuff along the way. IMO, doesn't seem feasible.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
In order to do that you'd have to upgrade the Talmadge to interstate standards, plus a whole lot of other stuff along the way. IMO, doesn't seem feasible.
Talmadge is already interstate standard.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:03 PM

It is?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM

214 posts, read 900,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Another thought:

Let I-16 go over the Talmadge bridge into SC, bring (what is now Hwy 17) up to interstate standard with a major exit at SC 170, continue it on over 278 & meet up with I-95 (call it SC exit 10 or 12). Direct interstate access to Savannah & the new port. Then..build a new bridge from the Truman over into SC, meeting at the major exit with US 170, and brand it I-316 (or 716 or 916).
I-16 already connects to the Talmadge Bridge with interstate Hwy. all the way into SC. So you would just need to get SC to 4 lane their side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area