Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 05:57 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The Singularity is the answer to disease, aging...And ubran sprawl? .. When the mind and machine merge we'll no longer want large houses and big yards?

Seems like 'more room to move' would be at an even greater demand when a city like Paris can hold a billion people.
That is what I am thinking but honestly I am not sure. I mean know what information technology will be like in 2030, that is easy to predict, but how will that cause us to change our living area is one that can not be predicted. I just would like to see Pueblo grow with less suburban sprawl after the singularity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 04:30 PM

When the movie Trancendance came out I said that was when the Singularity became mainstream even though that movie was not great. Well since the there have been many movies about that topic. I just saw Auotmate and it was good then Lucy was about a similar topic and in my opinion good. Now two more are coming out.

1) Chappie

2) Ex Machina

Get ready because we will have AI like this shortly after 2030 if not sooner.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
To keep the discussion on an even keel, let's remember that the average person is not going to be able to take advantage of this technology. It will be so expensive that only the wealthy will be able to afford it. The great masses will never get it.

We are facing an over population problem of immense proportions now. Extending the lifespan of every person, or even 10% of the population will cause chaos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Good ideas, but have you noticed how governments are acting? I hope you are right, but even with all the ways to produce more food and energy where are you going to put people? Shove them in huge megaplexes and wait for the next plague?

Can you imagine parts of Africa or the Middle East if the population doubles or triples?
The main reasons people throughout history have had large numbers of children is a) because they had no way of controlling that except abstinence ..... heh ..... and b)they needed lots of kids to help provide for the parents as they grew older and became less productive.

As nations become wealthier and are able to provide social security for retired people, it becomes less vital to have more children to provide it. At the same time we now have many methods to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Most women actually don't want to pop out babies like candy from a Pez dispenser. Most would be happy with one or two. That's why the native Caucasian population in Europe is declining since effective birth control became widely available, and it would be the same here if not for immigration.

Overpopulation won't be as much of a problem once everyone in the world has at least a basic good standard of living, given a little time and education to grow out of the old ways.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Here's something interesting, the costs for producing DNA sequences is about to drop considerably:
Quote:
......"It really democratizes creation and allows anyone to be a genetic designer," Heinz said. "We want it so that anyone with a credit card will be able to make a cool creature, and I think we're pretty close to being able to make that announcement." https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/cambria...130003085.html

Old 11-12-2014, 03:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Kind of a spin off to our conversations over in the Space forum, but if we are able to extend the lives of humans to a really long period, or alternatively, introduce AI that can survive and create on it's own, then space exploration's cost becomes significantly more feasible, no?

And, while reading a bit about immortality recently, the idea about over-population on earth if we continue to push our limits of mortality out, should come with an understanding that some of these longer-living folks are gonna be sent to the moon for colonization. Or even better, Mars, where we can take our 160-year old bodies and build a new home there.

Tremendous hope for the future, but what we don't need is 160-year olds who have been raised on MTV....

Old 11-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Kind of a spin off to our conversations over in the Space forum, but if we are able to extend the lives of humans to a really long period, or alternatively, introduce AI that can survive and create on it's own, then space exploration's cost becomes significantly more feasible, no?

And, while reading a bit about immortality recently, the idea about over-population on earth if we continue to push our limits of mortality out, should come with an understanding that some of these longer-living folks are gonna be sent to the moon for colonization. Or even better, Mars, where we can take our 160-year old bodies and build a new home there.
This is why I am not worried about space travel anytime soon. I am more then willing to wait as long as needed even if its after 2100. And you are right we will be living on other planets. Personally I plan on exploring the universe when its technologically feasible.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:06 PM

This is a interesting development:

Computers that use light instead of electricity will be here within 10 years
Super-fast computers that process information using photons instead of electrons are a step closer, thanks to the creation of a material that can transmit data at the speed of light.

The link: ScienceAlert

Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 AM

141 posts, read 128,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Here's something interesting, the costs for producing DNA sequences is about to drop considerably:
Wow, that's impressive to say the least! Recreating a complete human genome for $1000...

Here is a couple of bionic things researchers are trying to do nowadays:
Bionic Man | National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering

Old 11-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Default The Transhumanist Wager

Just stumbled upon this thread. Funny I was not really aware of a "Transhumanist" movement. I am about a quarter through a fictional book about same called "The Transhumanist Wager" by Zoltan Istvan. Decent book and I am sure it would be of interest if you are in to this movement.......

Old 11-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Just stumbled upon this thread. Funny I was not really aware of a "Transhumanist" movement. I am about a quarter through a fictional book about same called "The Transhumanist Wager" by Zoltan Istvan. Decent book and I am sure it would be of interest if you are in to this movement.......
It does sound like a good book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology