Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

Philosophical zombie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Parts of this might be relevant - I've started a thread over in Philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
Nanobots to cure Cancer in late stage cancer patient. In the next couple of moths...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnvY17U1lvw

That's Dr Ido Bachelet, "the" guy in DNA Origami.
This is the article on it:

Dr. Ido Bachelet of Bar-Ilan University announced that the first clinical trials may soon begin on the nanorobots he has developed to fight cancer. The nanorobots, which can be injected into patients, can identify and kill cancer cells without affecting healthy cells.

https://hacked.com/nanomedicine-revo...-dna-nanobots/

This is the very first stages of the biotech revolution or life 2.0.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:55 PM

I have not posted things in a while as I have been busy but there there has been some good things so I will have one big post now.

First this video on what is coming in the next 10 years or so.

A fun read:

Our lives in 2025: What the world will be like in 10 years' time

The link: Our lives in 2025: What the world will be like in 10 years' time - Mirror Online

Two breakthroughs in reverse aging:

First:

The pioneering discovery that young blood—and in particular, a single blood protein called GDF11—can regenerate many organs was named by Science as one of the ten top breakthroughs of 2014.

Furthermore, a key group behind the work—Amy Wagers’ Harvard University stem cell team—expects to “shortly” identify the human cells that generate GDF11, she told Bioscience Technology in a recent interview.

The link: Reversing Aging Processes with One Protein: a 2014 Breakthrough

The second:

Researchers take 'first baby step' toward anti-aging drug

The link: Researchers take 'first baby step' toward anti-aging drug

This is way ahead of even my optimistic projections.

A Chip In The Head: Brain Implants Will Be Connecting People To The Internet By The Year 2020

The link: » A Chip In The Head: Brain Implants Will Be Connecting People To The Internet By The Year 2020

We will be like this guy in the tv show that was canceled called Intelligence and by 2020. WOW just WOW!

Finally with all the advances, like merging with the internet by 2020, we could reach the singularity in 10 years.

We could get to the Singularity in ten years

The link: We could get to the Singularity in ten years | KurzweilAI

Old 12-29-2014, 08:13 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times
Great stuff! Thanks......

Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 PM

I started posting in this thread in febuary of 2012 and while that is only about 3 years ago a lot has changed since then. Its now easier to discuss the singularity as its gone main stream in movies and many of the ideas are well not just ideas anymore. That is only 3 years and the kind of changes we will see in the next 5 will be profound to say the least. Buckle up its going to be a bumpy and fun ride.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:01 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times
Well (please) continue to keep us posted.

BTW, I have a fuzzy idea, but what is an official definition of "singularity" as discussed here?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Well (please) continue to keep us posted.
Will do!

Quote:
BTW, I have a fuzzy idea, but what is an official definition of "singularity" as discussed here?

I think the best way to explain the singularity is this:

The point in time when artificial intelligence is smarter then the average human so in order to keep up humans must merge with the technology and become transhuman. Now I have seen a few dates on when that will happen usually raging from 2030 to 2045, Ray Kurzweil has gone more conservative at 2045. However lately I have seen articles talking about nano robots not in 10 years but today and how we could merge with the internet by 2020 which is why they are now saying the singularity could be here by the mid 2020's. I am all for the earlier date as it would impact more people then if we had to even wait 10 years to 2035.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:42 AM

141 posts, read 128,433 times
Quote:
I don't know if there is a specific official definition in this thread but usually the singularity is viewed as an intelligence explosion, by for example, self-improving artificial intelligence that makes itself smarter and thus grants itself to make itself even smarter and so on.

As this entity would be so much more intelligent than humans it is impossible to know what will happen (will it create revolutionary ways to tend to everyone or will it kill all of us. Utopia or Dystopia, the choice is yours ) hence the name "singularity".

The wikipedia calls it the technological singularity (as opposed to other singularities that has nothing or little to do with it)

Technological singularity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 AM

141 posts, read 128,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Philosophical zombie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Parts of this might be relevant - I've started a thread over in Philosophy.
Interesting, one of the truly not at all solved mysteries

Old 12-30-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
I don't know if there is a specific official definition in this thread but usually the singularity is viewed as an intelligence explosion, by for example, self-improving artificial intelligence that makes itself smarter and thus grants itself to make itself even smarter and so on.

As this entity would be so much more intelligent than humans it is impossible to know what will happen (will it create revolutionary ways to tend to everyone or will it kill all of us. Utopia or Dystopia, the choice is yours ) hence the name "singularity".

The wikipedia calls it the technological singularity (as opposed to other singularities that has nothing or little to do with it)

Technological singularity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You make some good points that I tend to forget to say. Once artificial intelligence becomes more intelligent then the average human and we merge with it to become trranshuman (we transcend our biology) we will have run a way intelligence.

Kind of like what is said in this clip of Transcendance:

You are also correct that the term is technological singularity. That term is borrowed from the singularity in a black hole as you can not see past a singularity in a black hole and we can no see past the technological singularity to see what life will be like as it will be advancing so fast that all our current models break down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology