Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM

146 posts, read 323,764 times

Advertisements

Kurzweil would be highly disappointed were he to ever watch Star Trek: First Contact.

An aging French captain and his band of jolly mates takes down the advanced hybrid human-machine race, the Borg...whhaaaattt?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
So China has it? Didn't someone discuss earlier how it would be dangerous if an unfriendly country reached the singularity before the U.S.? I believe you waved the thought away, but if they're beating us with supercomputers it now seems like that other member's concern was not so far fetched.
First look who made the computer, Intel.

This is a list of the top 10 fastest super computes in the world. Any of which would be fast enough to simulate the human brain. Notice they are all over the world and that will continue to be the case. So no I am still not worried about China having the only fast supercomputer.

10 Fastest Supercomputers In The World - Business Insider

Old 06-20-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I can understand why people would see this as science fiction, but real computer programmers are predicting this event and while predictions on the date of the singularity vary; if you took the average of the predictions it would happen around 2040. However, as someone already mentioned Ray Kurzweil (director of engineering of Google and award winning inventor) the most prominent proponent believes it will happen in 2045.

These things could lead to it if they become susccesful:

Moore's Law continues: - though most believe it will end or stall in the 2020s if no new replacement for the integrated chip is found.

Blue Brain Project - several countries and researchers are involved with the project of reverse engineering the human brain. They predict they could have it done by 2019-2023 and if successful we could be seeing AI with human intelligence a few years after the completion of the project.

Furthermore, 20-30 years later that could lead to an AI that is far more intelligent than all human minds combined. After that no one knows what will happen; all the things the other members here are talking about such as human/machine hybrids, genetic engineering, nanotechnology, interstellar space travel can occur,. However, others have a more pessimistic view such as governments gaining control of technology and turning their countries into nanny states or the AIs can turn on us and kill us all or the AIs think we're not worth their time and they build a space ship and leave the planet to continue their advancements outside of human observations.

That's why it's called the singularity because no one knows what will happen after the creation of the hyper intelligence.
There is a separate thread on this but I thought I would talk about it here as well. Apearently a group of people have already mapped out the brain in 3D. This is huge and well before the Blue Brain project will be done. This is why we should not be focused on one project so much. It will be interesting to see how this impacts AI this decade.

The link: Whole human brain mapped in 3D : Nature News & Comment

Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post
Kurzweil would be highly disappointed were he to ever watch Star Trek: First Contact.

An aging French captain and his band of jolly mates takes down the advanced hybrid human-machine race, the Borg...whhaaaattt?!!
I love Star Trek and the movie you talk about but when it comes to a lot of science I have found out that they are not as accurate as I once though they were. In fact a lot of the things they talk about being in the 24th century we have now....

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-20-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You seem to have money, so having children wouldn't be a problem you could get a surrogate mother just like Ricky Martin and Ronaldo (Real Madrid soccer player).
Honestly I am not ready to have kids. Maybe once the singularity sets in and I will change my mind. I am thinking the early part of the next century. There really is no rush.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Honestly I am not ready to have kids. Maybe once the singularity sets in and I will change my mind. I am thinking the early part of the next century. There really is no rush.
If I had money I'd want to have at least one normal child before the singularity hit not some cyborg child if what you say will happen does in fact happen.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
There is a separate thread on this but I thought I would talk about it here as well. Apearently a group of people have already mapped out the brain in 3D. This is huge and well before the Blue Brain project will be done. This is why we should not be focused on one project so much. It will be interesting to see how this impacts AI this decade.

The link: Whole human brain mapped in 3D : Nature News & Comment
That project is actually part of the 10 year blue brain project of Europe though they call the project big brain.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
That project is actually part of the 10 year blue brain project of Europe though they call the project big brain.
Fair enough but look at this:

An international group of neuroscientists has sliced, imaged and analysed the brain of a 65-year-old woman to create the most detailed map yet of a human brain in its entirety.

This is a big step and its only 2013.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 PM

32 posts, read 38,551 times
Quote:
Sure. Two that come to mind are:

The law of accelerating returns.

Moore's Law

And the singularity could be seen as a theory based on the laws above.
Both of those are suppositions, Kurzwiel is the only person to use "The Law of Acceleration Returns". Neither one of those are laws.

Kurzwiel has never published in a peer-reviewed journal concerning his assumptions(and that is what they are). I don't know if he tried and was reject, or that he knows his psuedo-science nonsense will get destroyed in a peer reviewed environment.

Quote:
This short 8 minute video is full of graphs and mathematical models. They were figured out by Ray Kurzweil who is the director of engineering at Google.
Science isn't done on Youtube, it is done in academia through peer review.

Quote:
If you want to see how he came up with it in detail including how he backed it up I suggest 2 books to read:

The singularity is near

How to create a mind

Both by Ray Kurzweil
Again, I am not really into reading someone's self-fulfilling prophesies. And once again, science is not done through monographs

Quote:
There are, also, longer videos on YouTube where he goes into more detail. If you want to see them I would be more then happy to post the links or just go to YouTube and type his name.
No need to post the links. It is apparent that Kurzweil is a pseudoscience quack, and his nonsense should not be posted to a science forum.

Here are some links that debunk his psuedoscience:

Singularity As Pseudoscience

Ray Kurzeil's Slippery Futurism

Ray Kurzweil and the Singularity: visionary genius or pseudoscientific crank

And the web is full of others that debunk Kurzweil's pseudoscience. Again, this is supposed to be a science forum, not a place to laud a pseudoscience formulating crack pot. It does not belong here.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatocoenosis View Post
Both of those are suppositions, Kurzwiel is the only person to use "The Law of Acceleration Returns". Neither one of those are laws.

Kurzwiel has never published in a peer-reviewed journal concerning his assumptions(and that is what they are). I don't know if he tried and was reject, or that he knows his psuedo-science nonsense will get destroyed in a peer reviewed environment.

Science isn't done on Youtube, it is done in academia through peer review.

Again, I am not really into reading someone's self-fulfilling prophesies. And once again, science is not done through monographs

No need to post the links. It is apparent that Kurzweil is a pseudoscience quack, and his nonsense should not be posted to a science forum.

Here are some links that debunk his psuedoscience:

Singularity As Pseudoscience

Ray Kurzeil's Slippery Futurism

Ray Kurzweil and the Singularity: visionary genius or pseudoscientific crank

And the web is full of others that debunk Kurzweil's pseudoscience. Again, this is supposed to be a science forum, not a place to laud a pseudoscience formulating crack pot. It does not belong here.
You're calling Google's director engineering a quack? He's also won several awards including national medal of technology which was presented by the president.

Some of his assertions are also based on the blue brain project which is real, Europe has given 1.3 billion dollars for the project (big brain project) if they thought it had no basis you really think they'd invest that much into it?

As for your links, two of them were written by the same person who's a professor of philosophy; do you think someone with a philosophy background knows about computer programming and it's advancements?

Someone more credible is Paul Allen co-founder of Microsoft who also criticizes Kurzweil's predictions, though not because he doesn't think it won't happen he simply thinks it won't happen anytime soon.

Last edited by Canaan-84; 06-20-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology