Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Will altering human DNA have this sort of effect on humans in the future? None of us will be around long enough to find out but it is an interesting theory.

Human faces of the future imagined by Nickolay Lamm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
With humans merging with computers its impossible to know what humans will look like in 2045 let alone 100,000 years from now.....

Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
With humans merging with computers its impossible to know what humans will look like in 2045 let alone 100,000 years from now.....
Assuming we merge with computers, you forget that it's called the singularity because it's impossible to predict what will come next. Merging with computers is only one possible scenario of many.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM

Is it difficult to believe that physical features will change in the next 100K years? After all, we look different than cavemen did. Humans, as a whole, are taller than they were 500 years ago.

Personally, I think it's entirely possible that humans could look a great deal different in 100K years, especially if they keep manipulating human DNA.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Assuming we merge with computers, you forget that it's called the singularity because it's impossible to predict what will come next. Merging with computers is only one possible scenario of many.
The definition is when humans merge with computers that is why its impossible to know what we will look like.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
The definition is when humans merge with computers that is why its impossible to know what we will look like.
This is the definition I have seen:

The technological singularity is the theoretical emergence of superintelligence through technological means.[1] Since the capabilities of such intelligence would be difficult for an unaided human mind to comprehend, the technological singularity is seen as an occurrence beyond which events cannot be predicted.

EDIT: Also, this discussion should be continued on the singularity thread, I apologize to the original poster for hijacking his thread.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Please. Continue with your information. It's interesting although I'm not a person of science and don't grasp what you're saying. I'm still trying to figure out the whole "humans merging with computers" thing. But you go ahead. I'll catch up.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Let me use a example to explain it:

When I was a kid in the 1970's, I was 5 in 1978, computers took up entire rooms and had to be kept cold. I remember as my dad's business had one. Today my I phone is 1,000 times smaller and a million times faster. That is a billion fold increase and it will happen again in the next 20 years causing computers to be the size of blood cells. So what once fit in a room now fits in my pocket will fit in my body and that is why it's impossible to know what we will look like by 2045 let alone 100,000 years from now.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Let me use a example to explain it:

When I was a kid in the 1970's, I was 5 in 1978, computers took up entire rooms and had to be kept cold. I remember as my dad's business had one. Today my I phone is 1,000 times smaller and a million times faster. That is a billion fold increase and it will happen again in the next 20 years causing computers to be the size of blood cells. So what once fit in a room now fits in my pocket will fit in my body and that is why it's impossible to know what we will look like by 2045 let alone 100,000 years from now.
Of course, you and I won't be here to see it but the article eluded to genetic engineering. And while your description of computers and how they've evolved over the past 40 years is interesting, it's a bit more scary to think of humans being altered genetically for convenience. The bold-ed section is what I find the most fascinating. Humans have evolved naturally without the help of science.
More than likely they will be inhabiting other planets and will need certain physical qualities to live there but thicker eyelids? Bigger craniums? Larger eyes? The result looks like a Blythe doll.

Quote:
In case there was any doubt that humans are getting weirder, clap your tiny, inadequate peepers on these unsettling images by Nickolay Lamm depicting how the average man and woman might look in 100,000 years. Before you sarcastically thank Darwin for his dumb theories, these faces are ostensibly the result of humanity screwing around with its own DNA. According Dr. Alan Kwan, who has a PhD in Computational Genomics, we will engineer larger eyes so we can see in dimmer colonies off Earth and bigger craniums to accommodate super-brains. We'll develop darker skin to handle greater UV exposure, and favour thicker eyelids to adapt to low-gravity environments. Apparently, however, our already perfect hairstyles won't change a bit.
It's great science continues to explore the human body and its diseases but it's just plain creepy to think they might, someday, take a cell from a human being, alter it in some way and replace it in a person, thus altering the natural evolution of humans. If that is the future of humans, I'm really happy I'm living in this time and won't be around to see it. Sounds like some science fiction flick from the 60's.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:04 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Of course, you and I won't be here to see it but the article eluded to genetic engineering. And while your description of computers and how they've evolved over the past 40 years is interesting, it's a bit more scary to think of humans being altered genetically for convenience. The bold-ed section is what I find the most fascinating. Humans have evolved naturally without the help of science.
More than likely they will be inhabiting other planets and will need certain physical qualities to live there but thicker eyelids? Bigger craniums? Larger eyes? The result looks like a Blythe doll.

It's great science continues to explore the human body and its diseases but it's just plain creepy to think they might, someday, take a cell from a human being, alter it in some way and replace it in a person, thus altering the natural evolution of humans. If that is the future of humans, I'm really happy I'm living in this time and won't be around to see it. Sounds like some science fiction flick from the 60's.
I think people will sign up for generic engeneering without a second thought once they see their favorite celebrities doing and once it becomes affordable. Most people lose their ethics when it is convenient to them. They will probably program their baby's features (eyecolor, personality, sex) through an app
then print a pill with all generic information in their 3d printer and ingest the pill that will create the perfect baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology