Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times

Advertisements

Ladies and Gentlemen.......

The Intro videos::::

Elon Musk Hyperloop Rail Travel Tesla space x ceo train travel - YouTube

Evacuated Tube Transport - YouTube

IF this news ends up being real, the future is really upon us.

Elon Musk (the closest thing to a real life Tony Stark) is claiming to have unlocked the technology to creating a new mode of transportation in which he calls the "HYPERLOOP" which will completely change the world as we know it.

His claims and thought of "what if he's right" are SO AMAZING and SO EXCITING to me that I had to share this.

In the meantime, Musk gave us a series of vague hints. Here are a few of those details (hopefully to spark your curiosity):

1. Hyperloop will be ground transportation
2. Hyperloop will be a series of tunnels connecting destinations
3. Will be able to travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco in less than half an hour (about 800+mph)
4. Will be able to travel from New York City to Los Angeles in less than an hour (about 4500mph)
(before you get confused, I think it is obvious with the difference in distance yet close travel times implies that different lines will travel at different speeds)
5. Hyperloop will cost 1/10 of the cost of building high speed rail and 1/4 the cost of building road highways
6. Hyperloop will be unscheduled travel, so the capsule leaves whenever YOU arrive. Unlike a flight or train scheduled to leave at 8pm, instead you arrive whenever you want and can leave almost instantly
7. A trip from LA to NYC taking only a little over 45 mins will cost around $100
8. Weather will not be a factor in Hyperloop travel. It will be immune to weather.
9. Hyperloop will be self powered
10. Hyperloop will never crash
11. The Hyperloop line from LA to NYC could cost only $6 billion to build.
(To put that into perspective, the high speed train in the works from LA to San Fran will cost over $60 billion dollars. And the ICC highway in Maryland (a 14 mile stretch of freeway) cost $2.5 billion).
12. Possible to travel from New York City to Shanghai in about 2 hrs...

According to Elon Musk "...it's not a vacuum tunnel, but is a cross between Concorde, a railgun and an air hockey table."

We will not know the TRUE/FULL details of his creation until he releases a report on it on August 12th.
But for now, take a look at the claims and let your mind wonder and enjoy the mystery of the claims until the day he releases his report...

SO............ If Hyperloop was a reality tomorrow.....
Where would YOU travel?
Where would YOU choose to live and work with a hyperloop commute?
KNOWING that it will turn the real-estate world upside down..........
What cities will most benefit from it?
What cities will be hurt most by it?
Do you believe it's possible?
Will you trust it or think it's too dangerous to ride?

TYT on Hyperloop

Hyperloop Super-Fast Travel Would Change the World - YouTube
Elon himself on Hyperloop

Elon Musk: A fifth mode of transport. - YouTube

How Elon Musk¿s Hyperloop might actually work: Experts guess how plans to get from LA to San Francisco in 30 minutes might come to fruition | Mail Online

Elon Musk

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 07-18-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Is it awful that I don't want this to happen? Call me crazy, but I don't want the world to be too accessible. I think traveling would lose a lot of the charm and excitement if you can be in China from NYC in 2 hours. I think cultures would mix too much, migration would become much too easy, etc. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely pros to this type of system, but overall I just don't think I'd want it. Too much for me.

I also don't think this "Hyperloop" thing is immune to crashing. I don't think anything will ever be immune to crashing…

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 07-18-2013 at 11:20 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
This guy is amazing! Constantly pushing the envelope and changing the world in positive ways!

I'm assuming that capital costs would prohibit people from traveling anywhere they want...if the technology is possible it still likely would only be available in high-traffic corridors. So, where would I go? Wherever it is available. Would I trust it? I think I would, but it would really depend on how things play out. I can tell you I would not be the first passenger!

I also think it would be very susceptible to terrorists and less malicious but equally harmful trouble seekers.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:14 PM

59 posts, read 88,892 times

Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM

390 posts, read 941,358 times
That will never, ever happen. The US is 20 years behind Asia and most of Europe as it is. We live in a conservative country in many respects.

The airlines would go out of business, oil companies would lose money and auto manufacturers would also suffer.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:34 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
... LA is trying to develop a 1-mile streetcar path, let alone develop a tube across the entire country...

Old 07-19-2013, 01:36 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
I seriously doubt this is real. If it is, wow. People will be able to live anywhere in the United States that there is an access point and commute to NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago (or anywhere else) for work. It's hard to imagine just how revolutionary this would be for the way we live.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen.......

The Intro videos::::

Elon Musk Hyperloop Rail Travel Tesla space x ceo train travel - YouTube

Evacuated Tube Transport - YouTube

IF this news ends up being real, the future is really upon us.

Elon Musk (the closest thing to a real life Tony Stark) is claiming to have unlocked the technology to creating a new mode of transportation in which he calls the "HYPERLOOP" which will completely change the world as we know it.

His claims and thought of "what if he's right" are SO AMAZING and SO EXCITING to me that I had to share this.

In the meantime, Musk gave us a series of vague hints. Here are a few of those details (hopefully to spark your curiosity):

1. Hyperloop will be ground transportation
2. Hyperloop will be a series of tunnels connecting destinations
3. Will be able to travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco in less than half an hour (about 800+mph)
4. Will be able to travel from New York City to Los Angeles in less than an hour (about 4500mph)
(before you get confused, I think it is obvious with the difference in distance yet close travel times implies that different lines will travel at different speeds)
5. Hyperloop will cost 1/10 of the cost of building high speed rail and 1/4 the cost of building road highways
6. Hyperloop will be unscheduled travel, so the capsule leaves whenever YOU arrive. Unlike a flight or train scheduled to leave at 8pm, instead you arrive whenever you want and can leave almost instantly
7. A trip from LA to NYC taking only a little over 45 mins will cost around $100
8. Weather will not be a factor in Hyperloop travel. It will be immune to weather.
9. Hyperloop will be self powered
10. Hyperloop will never crash
11. The Hyperloop line from LA to NYC could cost only $6 billion to build.
(To put that into perspective, the high speed train in the works from LA to San Fran will cost over $60 billion dollars. And the ICC highway in Maryland (a 14 mile stretch of freeway) cost $2.5 billion).
12. Possible to travel from New York City to Shanghai in about 2 hrs...

According to Elon Musk "...it's not a vacuum tunnel, but is a cross between Concorde, a railgun and an air hockey table."

We will not know the TRUE/FULL details of his creation until he releases a report on it on August 12th.
But for now, take a look at the claims and let your mind wonder and enjoy the mystery of the claims until the day he releases his report...

SO............ If Hyperloop was a reality tomorrow.....
Where would YOU travel?
Where would YOU choose to live and work with a hyperloop commute?
KNOWING that it will turn the real-estate world upside down..........
What cities will most benefit from it?
What cities will be hurt most by it?
Do you believe it's possible?
Will you trust it or think it's too dangerous to ride?

TYT on Hyperloop

Hyperloop Super-Fast Travel Would Change the World - YouTube
Elon himself on Hyperloop

Elon Musk: A fifth mode of transport. - YouTube

How Elon Musk¿s Hyperloop might actually work: Experts guess how plans to get from LA to San Francisco in 30 minutes might come to fruition | Mail Online

Elon Musk

Oil Lobby kills this in 5....4....3....2......BOOM!

Also, on a side note, land acquisition alone for this would cost billions.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
there's already one of those that runs about 20 feet underground and anyone who doesn't have an access card to use it by now is SOL.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 PM

367 posts, read 996,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
That will never, ever happen. The US is 20 years behind Asia and most of Europe as it is. We live in a conservative country in many respects.

The airlines would go out of business, oil companies would lose money and auto manufacturers would also suffer.
Hey ...dont call my country Behind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology