Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM

97 posts, read 151,974 times

Advertisements

i don't understand how daylight time changes back and forth are really helping out with ---what I don't know--what I do see is that people work longer harder and in longer lasting hotter hours to do, make, or undo whatever there is to do or undo on their job---- so my question is this, what are the great benefits being on whatever, doing whatever, in temperatures that are not kinda comfortable, what is the great benefit and accomplishment to the back and forth hour of time which in reality is also a unit of measure invented by the human race, are we doing better moving time back and forth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
No. Daylight saving time is a dumb idea and the equally dumb politicians have even screwed with the dates twice since it was implemented in the mid 60s. It started out as 6 months standard time and 6 months DST. They chipped away so now we're in DST most of the time. When kids start school, it's dark when they wait for the bus or walk to school!

Daylight Saving Time was the first nail in the coffin for the drive in theatre industry. Here in San Antonio, as how could not be started in the summertime, the busiest time until 9:20 PM. That got people out that wanted to see the double feature out at about 2 AM. That's pretty late to drive home, go to bed and be at work at 8! If a town was farther west, close to the next time zone like Van Horn, TX, the show couldn't start until after 10:00 PM.

I wish Texas would buck the politicians that want to foul everything up like Arizona does. Arizona stays on standard time year round.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:10 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Very dumb idea! Just think about all the changes when you lose or gain an hour...
There is no saving at all, but I really would like to see the money saved - money lost statistics.

Moving this thread to Science Forum...

Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
No DST means sunlight at 3:45am. Or worse, depending how far north you live.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
DST is a mixed bag. I remember when I ran a drive-in theatre it meant that shows sometimes didn't start until close to 9 PM. However, a parent wanting to have daylight time after work to go out and practice baseball with the kids got to do that. As a night owl myself, I didn't much care and thought it might be good for dads.

The real issue isn't the nominal time, it is the rigidity of businesses in their operating hours, and the scheduling of mass transport. Prior to the railroads standardizing time, local time was often tweaked to benefit the citizenry and businesses.

In some ways, there is humor to people accepting a rigid and even inhuman concept of time, then objecting to how it is implemented. I also get amused by folks with expensive watches as status symbols, when the real symbol of a watch is a handcuff to time that was first used to keep business owners from shifting the company clock to get free labor from employees.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolonyokte View Post
i don't understand how daylight time changes back and forth are really helping out with ---
The only argument I have ever heard that is presently relevant is kids are not standing at a bus stop in the dark in the winter.

I think it's stupid, much rather have light at the end of the day in winter than the morning.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The only argument I have ever heard that is presently relevant is kids are not standing at a bus stop in the dark in the winter.

I think it's stupid, much rather have light at the end of the day in winter than the morning.
Uh, that is standard time, not DST?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:39 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
Ask Jimmy Carter

Old 07-27-2017, 05:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Uh, that is standard time, not DST?
oops my mistake, goddamn DST making a fool of me!

Old 07-27-2017, 05:41 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolonyokte View Post
i don't understand how daylight time changes back and forth are really helping out with ---what I don't know--what I do see is that people work longer harder and in longer lasting hotter hours to do, make, or undo whatever there is to do or undo on their job---- so my question is this, what are the great benefits being on whatever, doing whatever, in temperatures that are not kinda comfortable, what is the great benefit and accomplishment to the back and forth hour of time which in reality is also a unit of measure invented by the human race, are we doing better moving time back and forth?
It's not really healthy, this clock change thing.

But first people have to understand how it works. First, equate Standard Time with Sun time, or as close as possible to it. During Standard time(Nov - March), we are in sync with the sun. 12pm = solar noon. There is roughly as much daylight before 12pm as there is after it.

When we switch to DST - turning the clocks one hour ahead, we are living our lives one hour early by the sun. So if you have your breakfast routinely at 7AM in January or December, it is approx. 7AM sun time. In summer - on DST - you have breakfast at 7AM clock time, but at 6AM sun time. During DST, or Summer Time as it's called in Europe, we are basically living our lives one hour earlier by the sun. There is one hour less daylight before 12pm(clock time) and one hour more after it.

It's so deceptively simple it makes some folks heads hurt!

And now that DST in America has been extended into essentially winter months, its effect on mornings is more noticeable: very late sunrises during those months. And this actually increases consumption of energy needed for light and heating during those months, canceling out any 'savings' during the lighter evenings. The typical 8-5 work cycle for many people occurs 7-4 by the sun during DST, and people come home to a sun that is still pretty high up, cooking their homes. Summer A/C consumption is also increased, so it's a $win-win for energy providers and utilities. People drive more when it's light in the evenings, increasing gasoline consumption dramatically during DST months.

The switches themselves have resulted in health issues - cardio, and insufficient sleep - particularly after the switch to Daylight Saving Time.(Notice there is only ONE 's' in DST). The fact that there are more car accidents and aforementioned health-related issues when moving clocks forward should be a major clue as to which time is healthier for us: Standard/Sun time. Our bodies are subconsciously synced to the daily cycle, whether there are 9 hours of sunlight(December) or 15(June). DST is akin to being on a 6-7month jet lag for some people, including me.

So if a bill was introduced to shorten DST back to an April-September schedule, or better yet, abolish it entirely, you bet I'd be the first person to campaign for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology