Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2023, 11:15 AM

3,528 posts, read 6,535,153 times

Advertisements

You know when Google Maps displays current traffic (dark red is real slow, green is empty), I read that Google detects people's phones in their cars that are using Google Maps. It uses that data to add up how many cars are in a certain area.

But also, Waze detects phones that are currently using the Waze app. That would mean that Google Maps and Waze give you different ideas of traffic density?

Is this in fact how they do it?

Is there a way Google or Waze could detect people's phones regardless of what they are doing on their phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 11:25 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
You know when Google Maps displays current traffic (dark red is real slow, green is empty), I read that Google detects people's phones in their cars that are using Google Maps. It uses that data to add up how many cars are in a certain area.

But also, Waze detects phones that are currently using the Waze app. That would mean that Google Maps and Waze give you different ideas of traffic density?

Is this in fact how they do it?

Is there a way Google or Waze could detect people's phones regardless of what they are doing on their phones?
Google owns Waze. They both use information from both apps together. If you have given permission to google or Waze to use your location at any time, they can track your location even if you arent using the apps.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:27 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Yes, crowd sourced traffic data is very useful.
Generally, traffic is gauged by in-roadway sensors (magnets, lasers, radar, etc) or cameras.
It is my understanding that traffic (and other) data is collected while navigating only, but I could be wrong about that.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:39 AM

3,528 posts, read 6,535,153 times
What's "while navigating only"?

Old 07-03-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
What's "while navigating only"?
I think he means while the app is on.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I think he means while the app is on.
I dont recall specifically, its been awhile since I've dealt with traffic - but there is a difference between just having the ap open and sending/receiving nav data back to google. IIRC traffic data is collected when navigating (i.e you have a route programed).

Old 07-03-2023, 02:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We use Apple Car Play, and the screen has a place where you can post a problem, traffic jam, accident, or even report a "speed check ahead." On a recent road trip we reported a backup due to construction that didn't show, but at least 3 times slowed down just before getting to a radar cop thanks to the app.
You just Tap Report an Incident, then tap whatever applies, Crash, Hazard, Speed Check, or Roadwork.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We use Apple Car Play, and the screen has a place where you can post a problem, traffic jam, accident, or even report a "speed check ahead." On a recent road trip we reported a backup due to construction that didn't show, but at least 3 times slowed down just before getting to a radar cop thanks to the app.
You just Tap Report an Incident, then tap whatever applies, Crash, Hazard, Speed Check, or Roadwork.
Waze has the same kind of feature. When I first started using Waze my family and I were driving down 95 and Waze suddenly had us get off of 95 suddenly. At first I figured it was a glitch but we were in no hurry so I figured wed trust it. It took us on a meandering 20 mile detour and I was a bit pissed. However, it brought us back onto 95 just past a big truck accident that had 95 backed up for 6 hours.

After that my moto has been, Trust the Waze, Love the Waze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology