Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:08 AM

21 posts, read 51,987 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

I have recently moved to western Washington to live temporarily until I land a job on a cruise line. I have applied with several different liners and am now playing the waiting game.

I don't know anyone up here and especially not someone who works(ed) on a cruise ship.

I have a bachelor's degree in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management, with two years of experience giving historical tours in Charleston, SC. I am still in my early 20s.

I have a preference for living in Southern California because I love the weather and fast pace, not to mention a girl I am fond of lives there.

How do I land a job on a cruise line? I am new to the industry and need some help / advice.

All thoughts are welcome! Thanks for the replies...

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTi9er View Post
Hey all.

I have recently moved to western Washington to live temporarily until I land a job on a cruise line. I have applied with several different liners and am now playing the waiting game.

I don't know anyone up here and especially not someone who works(ed) on a cruise ship.

I have a bachelor's degree in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management, with two years of experience giving historical tours in Charleston, SC. I am still in my early 20s.

I have a preference for living in Southern California because I love the weather and fast pace, not to mention a girl I am fond of lives there.

How do I land a job on a cruise line? I am new to the industry and need some help / advice.

Scott
Sounds like you have done all you can. Keep checking with them, but tourism is down, pretty much everywhere.

At this point of the economic cycle, it's a bad time to try and break into a new field/industry.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Aloha,

Have you ever worked on a cruise line before?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Hey all.

Scott
Observations & Directions:
1. What kind of job do you want with a cruise line? If you're talking about an on-board job, understand that you live on the ship for months upon months upon months, only getting leaves for a short period or so each year to return to your hometown. Thus, it doesn't really matter much where in the US live, as you're kind of a "gypsy". If you live onboard, keeping a partner will be a (mostly) long-distance deal.
2. If you are looking at a shore-based job, there is only one line of significance in Seattle, Holland America. And I'm not sure how big their Seattle HQ is, considering they are part of the parent corporation, Carnival, which is based in southern Florida. Thus, you might find getting a shore-based job VERY difficult in the Seattle market.
3. My thought would be to apply to the industry giants, Carnival Corporation (who run Carnival, Princess, Costa, Holland America, Cunard, etc.), RCI (Royal Caribbean) or NCL. I believe all three are ultimately headquartered in the Miami area.
4. Google "cruise line jobs" - I'm sure you'll come up with somewhere to begin.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:33 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Aloha,

Have you ever worked on a cruise line before?
No, but we used to watch "Love Boat" in the 1970's.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM

Wanderbygrace,

Thanks for the heads-up. I figured that I would be spending a lot of time on-board, so I suppose you're recommending that since distance is a problem, then maybe working on-board may not be the best route to take. I may want to look for land-based positions.

Princess Tours has an office in Seattle, but their main HQ is in Santa Clarita, CA. I talked with some people at the Seattle office, and they haven't hired anyone on since the beginning of 2009 in their office. I'm sure Holland is under a similar "freeze" situation.

Your advice is right on. I really appreciate the help. What I might do is try to find a job in Southern California (where my girl lives) in a hotel or something until I can advance into something better. Persistence is key.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 PM

AlohaHuey,

That's funny The main character still works with Princess Cruises.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 AM

76 posts, read 217,207 times
OK. Just got back from a cruise trip. The hospitality industry seems shiny and flashy from outside, cruise ships on board jobs included. But when you take one job, it may involve long hours, irregular hours, shifts, working on holidays and possibly less pay than what your education can get, on average. You seem pretty set on this industry but my recommendation is:
1. keep an open mind. Google Fortune's 100 best companies to work for and find out who has opening on the west coast, or in SoCal.
2. If you really want to try the hospitality industry out, do it and set your expectations low. don't be too disappointed.
3. Talk to your professors/teacher back in your college - they may know someone in the industry or alum who can help you out!

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citislicker View Post
OK. Just got back from a cruise trip. The hospitality industry seems shiny and flashy from outside, cruise ships on board jobs included. But when you take one job, it may involve long hours, irregular hours, shifts, working on holidays and possibly less pay than what your education can get, on average. You seem pretty set on this industry but my recommendation is:
1. keep an open mind. Google Fortune's 100 best companies to work for and find out who has opening on the west coast, or in SoCal.
2. If you really want to try the hospitality industry out, do it and set your expectations low. don't be too disappointed.
3. Talk to your professors/teacher back in your college - they may know someone in the industry or alum who can help you out!

Good luck!
The first paragraph is accurate, but actually less than what real life onboard is like. Most people work 6-7 day weeks, 10-12 hours or MORE per day. It's usually a good 70 hour work week. But then again, your living expenses are almost nil, as the cruise line pays for your housing, food, medical, etc. Yes, you do get some time in ports, but sometimes not, too. It's a very, very different world from what most people think that working on a cruise is like.

@Clemson: In addition to Princess Tours (not Princess Cruises, obviously), some of the others probably have small offices here, but HA would almost certainly be the biggest. Thus, you'd probably have the best chance w/them, landside, simply based on # of jobs actually in SEA.

And yes, the hospitality industry is hurting badly right now, but not quite as bad as one might expect, esp. here in North America. Many people have trimmed back big international trips, by taking those trips domestically, instead. Still - most places are off normal, and likely not hiring as much as normal.

I would strongly suggest the go to SC route & find a job at a hotel or perhaps even tourist board or car rental. Yes, Princess does have their ops HQ in Santa Clarita, so that could be an option. However, the Miami area is still the undisputed king for land-based jobs in the cruise business with several lines & parent companies being HQ'd there or having significant presences there.

One key comment: One of the very best paying jobs on a cruise ship is that of Hotel Director. With your degree, you might be suited to get on board a ship as an assistant hotel director and work your way up. They work long hours, but usually have cabins to themselves and get paid a decent wage. Just a heads up.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:42 PM

76 posts, read 217,207 times
I doubt they will hire you as an assistant hotel director if you have only a degree but no hotel supervisory experience. It can be done, but would be hard unless you can demonstrate your leadership skills, ability to learn as well as upward mobility potential. If you are set on this industry, you need to first get your heads dirty by working in the FD or housekeeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: