Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,485 times

Advertisements

I got a $124 ticket in the mail yesterday because it seems like I did not come to a complete stop at a red light. However, the photo from the camera shows that my brake lights are on...so at the least, I did almost come to a complete stop. There are two photos, and the first one shows another car coming from the right and making a left turn and the second photo shows that car is gone when I am making my right turn. So at the very least, I had an "almost" complete stop/pause at the red light!!

How likely is it that I can have this ticket overturned in court?

Are there a lot of traffic cameras in Seattle and Bellevue in comparison to other big cities?

The ticket issuer provides a website with video footage too, but I can't open the video and it doesn't state what kind of plugin I need.

Also, any advice on how I can get back $124 from the government without doing anything illegal? e.g., my friend gets a low-cost bus pass for the disabled because he feels like the government charges too much for license plate fees and renewals. So even though he has a minor disability (slight limp), he gets the bus pass for the disabled in order to make up. Most taxpayers will probably not agree with his method, but I am okay with it even if it means that I end up paying more taxes to support the cheaters.

I do not want to get on this disability scam, but if there are better legal but nefarious ways to get back my money from the government, I would like to hear about them!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,889 times
I got one while in Lynwood. Same story.

Best to pay it, and move on.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I got a $124 ticket in the mail yesterday because it seems like I did not come to a complete stop at a red light. However, the photo from the camera shows that my brake lights are on...so at the least, I did almost come to a complete stop. There are two photos, and the first one shows another car coming from the right and making a left turn and the second photo shows that car is gone when I am making my right turn. So at the very least, I had an "almost" complete stop/pause at the red light!!

How likely is it that I can have this ticket overturned in court?

Are there a lot of traffic cameras in Seattle and Bellevue in comparison to other big cities?

The ticket issuer provides a website with video footage too, but I can't open the video and it doesn't state what kind of plugin I need.

Also, any advice on how I can get back $124 from the government without doing anything illegal? e.g., my friend gets a low-cost bus pass for the disabled because he feels like the government charges too much for license plate fees and renewals. So even though he has a minor disability (slight limp), he gets the bus pass for the disabled in order to make up. Most taxpayers will probably not agree with his method, but I am okay with it even if it means that I end up paying more taxes to support the cheaters.

I do not want to get on this disability scam, but if there are better legal but nefarious ways to get back my money from the government, I would like to hear about them!

Thanks.
Sorry, "almost"' doesn't mean anything in the eyes of the law.

As for your friend, and your idea of this disability thing...well I won't say what I'd like to say...if I did I'd get kicked off of C-D.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 PM

Well it could have been "almost" or it could have even been a complete stop. I said at the very least the photo proves that I braked.

I don't agree with my friend, but I hate big government so much these days that I didn't really get mad about his type of abuse of the system. I always enjoy hearing about ways in which people rob the government legally no matter how evil the scheme.

Middle class people pay over 50 percent in direct and indirect taxes based on some accountant's calculations on radio when I was living in Cleveland. Add these types of crazy fines and we pay even more.

Today a lady got into my lane really abruptly because she had to take the next exit. Now even though I didn't like it, I would never wish her to be fined $124 by a camera catching her doing that. And yesterday a lady touched me from behind because she was chatting to her teen. She even got out of her car to apologize and told me that she was debating her teen in the bumper to bumper traffic. I still would not wish a camera giving her a ticket, but that could happen in the future. I should have the right to decide on whether I should file charges about the fender bender and not a camera.

=======

I suspect many people on here (and in society) are anti-scamming the government and pro-camera enforced strict traffic laws, so I hope only those who can answer my question respond instead of those trying to tell me I am wrong! I won't change my opinion about these things.

For people who have an opposing view, the good news for you (and terrible news for me) is that in future, big government might have cameras in all cars or implanted in you too, and they will have access to you facebook account and gmail account too:-)

Last edited by usernametaken; 12-22-2010 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 04:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
You hate big gov't and you live in Seattle, WA? How's that working for ya?

Nah, seriously... I knew one person who fought it and got it removed. But she was a crazy B, so I'm sure anyone would do what she wanted them to do.

For viewing the video, it says you can check it at any Seattle Public Library branch. It does say what program you need to view the video. Municipal Court of Seattle - Ticket Payment (Note: it does say that each citation is viewed by a Police officer who makes a judgement call... apparently they expect it to be "complete" stop.)

Old 12-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Love Seattle. Seattle type big government is the norm these days though so you can't escape it unless you move to China or Russia (joke).

Ok just saw the video and it seems like I stopped for 2.1 seconds per the data on the online pictures (which I missed in the paper photos). My friend tells me that you have to stop for 3 seconds, and since its the end of the year, they didn't let me get away with it most likely due to budget related reasons.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Well it could have been "almost" or it could have even been a complete stop. I said at the very least the photo proves that I braked.

I don't agree with my friend, but I hate big government so much these days that I didn't really get mad about his type of abuse of the system. I always enjoy hearing about ways in which people rob the government legally no matter how evil the scheme.

Middle class people pay over 50 percent in direct and indirect taxes based on some accountant's calculations on radio when I was living in Cleveland. Add these types of crazy fines and we pay even more.

Today a lady got into my lane really abruptly because she had to take the next exit. Now even though I didn't like it, I would never wish her to be fined $124 by a camera catching her doing that. And yesterday a lady touched me from behind because she was chatting to her teen. She even got out of her car to apologize and told me that she was debating her teen in the bumper to bumper traffic. I still would not wish a camera giving her a ticket, but that could happen in the future. I should have the right to decide on whether I should file charges about the fender bender and not a camera.

=======

I suspect many people on here (and in society) are anti-scamming the government and pro-camera enforced strict traffic laws, so I hope only those who can answer my question respond instead of those trying to tell me I am wrong! I won't change my opinion about these things.

For people who have an opposing view, the good news for you (and terrible news for me) is that in future, big government might have cameras in all cars or implanted in you too, and they will have access to you facebook account and gmail account too:-)
Braking is not the same thing as stopping...again in the eyes of the law that does not matter.

Do you realize that you talk about scamming the government you are stealing from me and all the other tax paying citzens of this country...and by doing you are only adding to big government?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Of course I realize that (re-read third last row of my first post). But if enough people scam, it would all come to an end. They already have overcapacity in jails.

They are at 50 percent taxation. I doubt they can raise taxes much more without an open revolt.

Ideally, sales taxes should be a lot higher and everything else much lower. Would help the environment too.

Even more ideally, government should be much smaller.

Last edited by usernametaken; 12-22-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Quote:
Love Seattle. Seattle type big government is the norm these days though so you can't escape it unless you move to China or Russia (joke).

Ok just saw the video and it seems like I stopped for 2.1 seconds per the data on the online pictures (which I missed in the paper photos). My friend tells me that you have to stop for 3 seconds, and since its the end of the year, they didn't let me get away with it most likely due to budget related reasons.
I'd fight it if I were you, if you have the time. I got a 124 dollar ticket from a camera for speeding in a school zone in front of Renton High School. I was going 26 MPH in a 20 MPH zone. I paid it, since I guess I was actually speeding, though I wasn't endangering some dumb teenager. A teenager should be smart enough to know how to cross a street, and not jaywalk in front of someone who has a green light.
But in your case, you made a complete stop, even if only for 2.1 seconds.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:13 PM

And here I have to make a confession...

I got a driving license in Ohio fairly recently, and I have not converted it to a Washington license even though I have lived here for 4 months. I hated the idea of giving more money to the government again after getting a new driving license, even if its a different state we are talking about here.

My one concern is that if I go to court, they will find that out. It seems like they can't charge me for another offense at the court, but I am still feeling a bit guilty and foolish for not changing my license sooner. If they notice that, they might not waive this ticket thinking that I am a serial law violater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area