Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times

Advertisements

The other day I heard someone complaining that Seattle is too liberal. I have heard this MANY times and I just can't help but think...IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, MOVE!

I am 100% pro-gay (but straight myself) pro-legalization of drugs, prostitution etc, pro-recycling programs and social programs, pro-taxation for infrastructure and such. I like the idea of government stepping in to insure a healthy environment and making sure workers and minorities being treated fairly. I am a die hard liberal and guess what? THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I MOVED HERE.

All the time I hear people whining about how liberal the politics and the people are here. Let me just say that NO ONE is forcing you to stay here. There actually are people like me who are liberal and enjoy living in a liberal area.

I do not live in the South, the rural midwest or most of the south west. I know good and well that I would not be happy in Red State America. My socially liberal tendencies and my dislike of traditional religion would not go over well in many of those states in the Bible Belt. But do I complain about it? No, I just choose not to live there.

Look at the political map and you'll see HUGE chunks of America that are hardcore conservative. I don't whine about those places. Instead, I stick to a place that's liberal...I mean really, conservatives get to have Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, South Caroline, North Carolina, Georgia, Nebraska, Kansas, and Alaska, but we liberals CAN'T EVEN HAVE A FEW CITIES ON THE COASTS WITHOUT HEARING A BUNCH OF COMPLAINTS?

The other day I over heard some idiot talking to his girlfriend, saying that they're "too many (insert derogatory term for gay men here) in Seattle, and that it wasn't like it was back home in Texas" Needless to say I turned around and told him to GO BACK to Texas. Yes, we have the second
largest GLBT population of any city in America (after San Francisco, of course) and if you don't like it, I-90 is ready when you are and is more than able to take you to what ever Red State you want.

I love Seattle and I feel at home here, amongst my fellow tree-hugging, abortion loving, Latte sipping, Edward Kennedy worshiping, bus taking, bicycle riding, Zen meditating, gay-marriage supporting, Democratic voting, tattooed liberals. I feel as at home here as most right-wingers would feel in Topeka or the deep south. That's their house, and this is MY HOUSE

Really, we liberals can't have A HANDFUL OF CITIES where we can live on our own terms?

Seattle is politically liberal, is full of liberals, and will stay liberal. If you have a problem with that than by all means, don't let the door hit you where Evolution split you.

BUT, I might add that we are not liberal when it comes to guns, which is good for me. But, I think guns are no longer a liberal vs conservative issue, because I have meant so many liberals like myself who are 100% pro-gun, and plenty of liberal states (Vermont, WA, Oregon) have lenient gun laws while places like Alabama are conservative as can be, but have tighter gun laws.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
...but we liberals CAN'T EVEN HAVE A FEW CITIES ON THE COASTS WITHOUT HEARING A BUNCH OF COMPLAINTS?

Really, we liberals can't have A HANDFUL OF CITIES where we can live on our own terms?
Seriously?

I have no idea what you mean by this and I've heard this comment repeated many times, but... Liberals dominated the entire West Coast. Plus half of the SW region. Not to mention, you have cities in the Mid-west that are Liberals but dominate the politics for the entire state like Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin (which is why the events in WI is interesting). The NE is the Democratic bastion, which swings more towards the Liberal ideology. And you're complaining.. why?

Politics is such a distasteful subject because of what it brings out... from both sides. I am conservative leaning and I get hounded by some of the people I know all because they're true blue liberals and have a hard time accepting that I think differently than they do. So much for open-mindness and acceptance.

The whole "Seattle is becoming too liberal" is an age-old complaint... before it used to be "Seattle is getting too Californicated". A lot of people here are complainers... they will complain about anything and everything... they complain so much they can't make decisions most of the times. They even complain about the weather.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 03-02-2011 at 04:20 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,652 times
So to sum up that incredibly long and disjointed rant(Victorian's):

1) You feel that cities should be segregated according to political beliefs and that
2) I-90 is somehow the fastest way to Texas

Obviously there was a lot more in there, but the rest of it was just inane fluff. I'm not sure which above philosophy is more absurd. Actually, I'll take what's behind door no. 3:

3) You actually think that most people in this city have liberal beliefs across the board instead of being shades of gray with things they lean right on and lean left on.

Yup, we have our winner.

BTW, aside from internet message boards, I haven't heard one person ever say what you claim you hear "all the time". The closest I hear about it is that idiot mayor that somehow got voted in over in Seattle who clearly has no idea how the world actually works or who has a good idea rattling around in that dope-rattled brain of his. I hear people complain about him all the time, though with good reason. And that's a self-correcting thing, as there is no way he gets a 2nd term. And if you wanna be extreme liberal across the board, your utopia is just 3 short hours south of here.

See? I can do it, too.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 AM

474 posts, read 905,086 times
I guess the OP doesn't consider tolerant as a positive quality. The OP sounds incredibly INTOLERANT. So if someone doesn't share the same views they should keep their mouth shut or leave?

Is the OP truly "abortion loving?" Is that really what he/she meant? Do you really truly believe a society that values mankind thinks it is OK to abort 1.2 million pregancies per year in the US?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Depending where someone is from or relocating from. This area of the country has its own defiinition of the word liberal. Be it Seattle or any other populated area of the Northwest, and compare it with other liberal areas of America the difference is noticeably different. Some might be comfortable with that trait, and some may find it both confusing and difficult to adjust to.

Side note: I have no idea why on this website just about every single thread is filled with bad mouthing and insulting comments to people. It really has gotten worse the last year or so. Exactly what good does it do but prevent people from coming on here and providing or receiving info in a polite and comfortable manner.

Theres my rant.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have no idea why on this website just about every single thread is filled with bad mouthing and insulting comments to people. It really has gotten worse the last year or so. Exactly what good does it do but prevent people from coming on here and providing or receiving info in a polite and comfortable manner. Theres my rant.
I think that the anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in people. Things one would never say to someone's face, or write under one's name, are "okay" when no one knows who you are...
Sadly, others pick up this form of expression, and pretty soon it becomes the norm...

Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
I dunno. I'm liberal, but I think living in an area with a mix of political beliefs is healthy. It would be better for the entire country if both red and blue states were less extremely split. More liberals in the red areas, more conservatives in the blue areas. They balance things out.

The worst part about Red America is the restaurant choices. Omaha is decidedly lacking in gastropubs with duck confit sliders. And I'm not sure how people even survive there without single origin coffee beans.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
All I will say is, the next time you hear some absurd comments like that from total strangers, you can do one of two things:

1) Ignore them, or
2) Maturely state that every city and region is different, the US is a HUGE country (continental US is bigger than the whole of Europe, measured from Portugal to the Urals), and that we should be grateful for our differences, and thank them for expressing theirs, and you simply disagree with them.

Avoiding vitriol and bile in political discourse is something that starts with us. If we don't like how angry and emotional politics have become, then change starts with us. And it starts with one person at a time, and I would like to believe most Seattleites and Eastsiders, Southsiders, Northsiders etc are above that.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 AM

918 posts, read 1,696,663 times
Don't let it bother you, Victorian.

Think of it this way - if conservatives you mentioned are complaining about it, Seattle must be doing something right, am I wrong ?

And no, conservatives don't have an absolute chokehold on all the "red" states you mentioned in the middle of your post. Austin, TX and Louisville, KY are very liberal, f.e. North Carolina voted blue in 2008. I never thought I'd see my home state of Indiana, as white, rural and traditional as it gets, vote Democrat in a national election, but they did as well. Salt Lake City has elected a mayor who's probably more liberal than 98 % of Democrats in DC. It's a mixed bag in most places nowadays.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The other day I heard someone complaining that Seattle is too liberal. I have heard this MANY times and I just can't help but think...IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, MOVE!

I am 100% pro-gay (but straight myself) pro-legalization of drugs, prostitution etc, pro-recycling programs and social programs, pro-taxation for infrastructure and such. I like the idea of government stepping in to insure a healthy environment and making sure workers and minorities being treated fairly. I am a die hard liberal and guess what? THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I MOVED HERE.

All the time I hear people whining about how liberal the politics and the people are here. Let me just say that NO ONE is forcing you to stay here. There actually are people like me who are liberal and enjoy living in a liberal area.

I do not live in the South, the rural midwest or most of the south west. I know good and well that I would not be happy in Red State America. My socially liberal tendencies and my dislike of traditional religion would not go over well in many of those states in the Bible Belt. But do I complain about it? No, I just choose not to live there.

Look at the political map and you'll see HUGE chunks of America that are hardcore conservative. I don't whine about those places. Instead, I stick to a place that's liberal...I mean really, conservatives get to have Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, South Caroline, North Carolina, Georgia, Nebraska, Kansas, and Alaska, but we liberals CAN'T EVEN HAVE A FEW CITIES ON THE COASTS WITHOUT HEARING A BUNCH OF COMPLAINTS?

The other day I over heard some idiot talking to his girlfriend, saying that they're "too many (insert derogatory term for gay men here) in Seattle, and that it wasn't like it was back home in Texas" Needless to say I turned around and told him to GO BACK to Texas. Yes, we have the second
largest GLBT population of any city in America (after San Francisco, of course) and if you don't like it, I-90 is ready when you are and is more than able to take you to what ever Red State you want.

I love Seattle and I feel at home here, amongst my fellow tree-hugging, abortion loving, Latte sipping, Edward Kennedy worshiping, bus taking, bicycle riding, Zen meditating, gay-marriage supporting, Democratic voting, tattooed liberals. I feel as at home here as most right-wingers would feel in Topeka or the deep south. That's their house, and this is MY HOUSE

Seattle is politically liberal, is full of liberals, and will stay liberal. If you have a problem with that than by all means, don't let the door hit you where Evolution split you.

BUT, I might add that we are not liberal when it comes to guns, which is good for me. But, I think guns are no longer a liberal vs conservative issue, because I have meant so many liberals like myself who are 100% pro-gun, and plenty of liberal states (Vermont, WA, Oregon) have lenient gun laws while places like Alabama are conservative as can be, but have tighter gun laws.
People are entitled to their opinions. You aren't doing anyone or the region a favor with your "my way or the highway" attitude. It's offensive from either/any side of the political spectrum. Politics has become poisoned enough with the rhetoric; adding to it does everyone a disservice. Lighten up. You don't need to be the "Liberal Police"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area