Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM

43 posts, read 57,295 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to visit Seattle and travel around to different parts of Washington since the early 2000’s. I never took the time to plan or randomly take the trip because I’m workaholic, and I have deprived myself of taking a real vacation for far too long. I love being outdoors and experience new landscapes and loved Supersonics before well they became OKC Thunder. My Wife and I spent a whole seven days in Washington; We spent a lot of time in Seattle and the surrounding areas. We chose to stay with some friends in Ballard because I figured it would be a good starting point for our daily adventures.

We visited Bainbridge, Vashon islands via the ferries and took a trip down to Tacoma, we saw a lot and had many chances to speak to the locals. The food was really good, everything from the seafood to the burgers. I love that most things are sourced locally, and the bovine is grass fed, I also found it amazing how large the oysters are. I guess it has something to do with how cold the water is there. We did a lot of walking around because Seattle is a very walkable city; we used the public transportation from time to time. We did more walking than anything; I was shocked to see that there were so many fruit tree’s everywhere producing apples, blackberries, etc. I felt like I was Wonderland being around such things. We visited a lot of parks where we watch the sunrise and sunsets, I must say everywhere we went it looked like a place that could be on a postcard.

I love seeing the houses on the hills and exploring the outdoors in parks. I can’t say that we experienced the so-called “Seattle freeze”, everyone we spoke to were willing chat about what topic any of us struck up. Out of those conversations, I got clarification on the cost of living rise both rental and ownership perspectives. I also got to see the results of the Amazon hiring, and it’s contributing to the changes in some if not all neighborhoods, homes that once stood being replaced by condo’s or multi-dwellings. As I walked around and spoke to people, I found it maddening that this was taking place. My wife hated the traffic in downtown areas but loved everything else. As for me I love this place, I don’t think she has the same appreciation for it as I do.

I took many pictures and videos to record everything I could in case we don't return. I love it for what I believe it was past and what it is today along with the good and the bad. Seattle and Washington, it was a journey that I should have taken years ago. It offers so much more than I could have ever imagined all though I don’t know that I would have had the same sort of appreciation back then as I do now. In Seattle it’s all about the neighborhoods, each one has it’s style, flavors and vibes I loved having the opportunity to experience them all. I left this past Saturday, and I dreaded having to leave to head back to Florida. I do think that it is good to take a step back before making any decisions, if circumstances were different then wouldn’t have left because it felt great to wake up and go out in such a great atmosphere every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
I'm so glad you and your wife had a wonderful time!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
PushRod, I'm a former Floridian who has been in Seattle 26 years, you put a smile on my face.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 PM

43 posts, read 57,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
PushRod, I'm a former Floridian who has been in Seattle 26 years, you put a smile on my face.
We encountered quite a few former Floridians; everyone seemed to be very settled in and happy in Seattle. I wish I could move my family there, my kids would love going to Gas Works Park and playing with our dog or playing Frisbee. I try not to look at any of the pictures or videos because it makes me feel sad.

I know some people love to hate that city, but I would be proud to call Seattle my home!

Last edited by PushRod; 08-26-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 04:33 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
Nice recap!

Old 08-28-2015, 12:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushRod View Post
I left this past Saturday, and I dreaded having to leave to head back to Florida. I do think that it is good to take a step back before making any decisions, if circumstances were different then wouldn’t have left because it felt great to wake up and go out in such a great atmosphere every day.
Yes, good idea. In fact it's best to visit more than once before any decision to relocate. In our case,
a 1991 summer visit was much like yours, but then I came back in early December, had some snow, and saw the aftermath of a mid November wind storm, with trees and branches strewn all over. In my case that was all a positive experience that led to being here for the last 21 years, much more interesting than the boring weather we had in the bay area.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
They don't have apple trees and blackberry bushes in Florida?

Why can't your kids play with your dog and play frisbee where they live, in Florida?

There are lots of residential neighborhoods where condos aren't replacing single-family homes. If you loved Seattle so much, why not consider a move?

Old 08-28-2015, 02:29 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
Ruth, as a born and raised Floridian who has made his home in Seattle for 26 years, I can tell you that what Florida does have is oppressive heat and humidity, horrid mosquitoes, intense racial problems, the only hills are freeway overpasses. PushRod, join us! Seattle even has a few Cuban and Caribbean restaurants if you need a fix.

Paseo: Official website of Seattle's best sandwiches and Caribbean food.
Geo's Cuban: Home
Bongo's: Bongos - Seattle, WA

Old 08-28-2015, 02:35 PM

684 posts, read 812,762 times
You should post up some of your pictures and videos

Old 08-28-2015, 04:54 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Ruth, as a born and raised Floridian who has made his home in Seattle for 26 years, I can tell you that what Florida does have is oppressive heat and humidity, horrid mosquitoes, intense racial problems, the only hills are freeway overpasses. PushRod, join us! Seattle even has a few Cuban and Caribbean restaurants if you need a fix.

Paseo: Official website of Seattle's best sandwiches and Caribbean food.
Geo's Cuban: Home
Bongo's: Bongos - Seattle, WA
Yes, well, that's why I stay away from florida. And you forgot the parasites! I knew a woman who picked up some parasites while living there, and couldn't find a doctor anywhere to eliminate them. 20 years later, they'd done so much damage to her system, she became disabled and had to go on SS Disability. She'd long moved away from FL, but still couldn't find a doc to diagnose and treat her for parasites.

GAH! Keep Florida away from me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area