Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM

13 posts, read 21,460 times

Advertisements

I got a job with at Plant 2/Boeing Field/King County Int Airport.

I will be working 8AM-5PM, how bad is the 5 fwy in the morning and afternoon?

I was thinking about living in Downtown or International District since I'm Asian and like the social scene, but will commuting on the 5 be a nightmare?

If I lived in Federal Way, would going 5 North have lots of traffic, too?

I can't decide on Downtown or Federal way, whatever has easier traffic will prob make my decision.

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,369,433 times
If you're living in downtown Seattle or the International District, there's no reason to take I-5 to Boeing Field. Airport Way is your friend. Take it instead of I-5.
Also, Seattle folks are very welcoming to Asians, but less welcoming to Californians. So give up saying "The 5", thats a giveaway that you've spent too much time in CA.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,656 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Another alternative for you,

I work near downtown on the waterfront and often have to go to the Seatac airport. Highway 99 to the first Ave bridge is usually pretty clear in the morning, with all the traffic going the other way. The problem is
the construction that will be going on in the next couple of years
but for now you can get on at Western and zip through.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:10 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,888,413 times
Another option - Beacon Hill is a quick surface street drive to Boeing Field.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM

13 posts, read 21,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If you're living in downtown Seattle or the International District, there's no reason to take I-5 to Boeing Field. Airport Way is your friend. Take it instead of I-5.
Also, Seattle folks are very welcoming to Asians, but less welcoming to Californians. So give up saying "The 5", thats a giveaway that you've spent too much time in CA.

Thanks for the tip! I thought everyone said "the 5" "the 405"

Old 07-22-2011, 07:16 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,372,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passions View Post

Thanks for the tip! I thought everyone said "the 5" "the 405"
Different strokes for different folks. First time I moved outside of Chicago I pondered why all the highways weren't named... for example, I-94/90 going through downtown to the south side was called the Dan Ryan expressway. Everyone called it that too. I still find it odd.

And yes do drop the "the" in front of calling out the highway.

As for where to live, you have plenty of options. I have a friend who lives in West Seattle, near the Fauntleroy ferry, and she loves living there while commuting on bicycle to Plant 2. You also have Beacon Hill, a very diverse (called the most diverse zip code in all the USA) place with slightly higher petty theft and drug crimes. You also have Georgetown. I don't know why anybody doesn't wish to live there if you enjoy quirkiness in a neighborhood. They have also a pristine new astroturf soccer field there that is immaculate. They also have some tasty pizza (the only NY style thin crust pizza I will ever tolerate) and Japanese food, and the city's longest running bar (it even operated semi-openly during the Prohibition).

If you want cheaper, you can always look south. I-5's traffic going north in the morning doesn't get bad until you reach Boeing field but by that time you're exiting to work. You can also take a bus or bike, it is very easy to not drive to work there (and I actually highly recommend it, parking is atrocious there most days).

Do avoid living just west of the plant, though. The South Park bridge is closed and Google Maps doesn't accurately reflect this (last wednesday I actually plotted a route which said to go over the bridge when it has been closed for almost a year now). The areas there are also kind of rough too.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,656 posts, read 81,403,499 times
We normally say "I5" or "405". Then there's the "S-Curves" meaning the area
between Factoria Bellevue and 167 in Renton. Then there is the "merge mess" where people exit I5 to 520 east, getting on and having to cross 3-4 lanes within a half mile. Highway 167 is also known as the "Valley Freeway."
Highway 99 through Seattle is the "viaduct". Also, the area where people leave both downtown Seattle and the Seattle Center/space needle area to catch I5 is the "Mercer Mess."

Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,566,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Also, Seattle folks are very welcoming to Asians, but less welcoming to Californians.
Sometimes I wonder if this city is just a bunch of hill billies.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,681,059 times
I'm gonna have to disagree with Ira, there is nothing wrong with saying "The 5" or "The 405". Yes, it began in CA, but why does everything that started in CA have to be wrong? Really. I'm a WA native, but sometimes we just get WAY too sensitive about things.

I will agree with Ira though that you do not need "The 5" to go from downtown, or the I.D. to get to Boeing Field.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree with Ira, there is nothing wrong with saying "The 5" or "The 405". Yes, it began in CA, but why does everything that started in CA have to be wrong? Really. I'm a WA native, but sometimes we just get WAY too sensitive about things.

I will agree with Ira though that you do not need "The 5" to go from downtown, or the I.D. to get to Boeing Field.
The organic food movement started in California- that's a good thing. I'm glad it spread.
The gay rights movement is a California product- that's a good thing. I'm glad it spread.
Student protests are attributed to California- that's a good thing. I'm glad it spread.
Putting a "the" in front of freeway names? Nah. Let it stay in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area