Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM

345 posts, read 833,768 times

Advertisements

Ok so I saw this monopoly game that instead of the streets and avenues has places from across America. There was Times Square instead of Park Place, South beach instead of St. James Place, and so on. They had many attractions in the US such as Gateway Arch, Mall of America, Fenway, French Quarter, and many more. But there was one that surprised me: Pioneer Square in Seattle. I would have thought if Seattle would have one it would be the Space Needle. Is Pioneer Square really more important to Seattle and America than the Space Needle? I would have thought the Space Needle would more well-known than Pioneer Square. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Probably a licensing issue.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 PM

214 posts, read 650,010 times
The Space Needle is more iconic but Pioneer Square sure is alot more fun........Tiki Bobs, J&M cafe, Cowgirls. Fun to bar hop down there at night =P

Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 AM

90 posts, read 188,397 times
I had trouble believing that the Space Needle's "likeness" would ever be a problem, the image or something like it is on thousands, possibly millions of documents, letterhead, maps, etc. But I got a little more curious on the issue and googled it and sure enough they have filed lawsuits for misrepresentation, although it's hard to believe they'd have an issue with a Monopoly game. It's always been a privately owned tower/landmark, and quite recently there was a controversy about flying the gay pride flag on top of it, which I bring up not to hijack the thread, but as my own example of their very careful corporate mindset of staying neutral to controversial subjects.

And people in Seattle can care less about Pioneer Square and the neighborhood is becoming increasingly derelic. Now if they had chosen the "skid row" aspect of Pioneer Square, due to Seattle having clear ownership of the "skid road" concept, that would have been far more interesting than Pioneer Square as a whole.

Last edited by HometoGeorgia; 08-10-2011 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Meh. Space Needle is more recognizable outside of Seattle as the "representation" of the city. But people who've visited and locals may vote for other things, like Pike Place or Pioneer Square. I'm with Xanathos ... it's a trademark / copyright claim issue

Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 AM

291 posts, read 689,266 times
The Space Needle is more important. Pioneer Square is just a place for bums to pee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area