Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM

30 posts, read 55,389 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm really looking forward to visiting Seattle in November over Veterans Day weekend and I'm hoping to find a good seafood restaurant that's not over-touristy and has decent prices. A nice view of water/skyline would be amazing, but it doesn't have to be on the water or anything. As a local, where is your favorite place to get some fresh seafood? P.S. I know there's a fish market, but I'm a horrible cook so that's out of the question. I'm staying in the Belltown Inn so somewhere accessible by bus/foot would be appreciated. Thanks and I can't wait to fly up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 12:48 PM

90 posts, read 188,371 times
My favorite is Chinook's, 1900 West Nickerson, at Fisherman's Terminal. It's pricey, but it's where you'll find the locals or the more savvy out of towners. Tourists rarely get out that far because it's about 4 miles north of downtown and there's not much of a view unless your into looking out over the docks. And it's not even remotely like the wharf in San Francisco, it's strictly a working terminal for our commercial fishing industry, you're not going to find salt water taffy for sale or street performers. Incidentally, Chinook's is owned by Anthony's Homeport, which you'll find sprinkled throughout the region, all with fantastic food, but vary on tourist appeal. They got great breakfast and lunch too, which might be better on your pocketbook. The #33 busline that runs north on 4th ave will take you right to it. It doesn't run super late though, the last bus back is around 9ish so plan an early dinner.

If a skyline view is your thing, try Salty's, 1936 Harbor Ave SW. It's also out of the way and less touristy, but it's the place of choice for locals that want a view and frankly it's unsurpassed except for maybe the Space Needle. It's been a while since I've been here so I'm not sure about prices. They have lunch, dinner, or weekend brunch. It's kinda hard to get to though, there's a water taxi in summer, but not when your going. Bus service is spotty in that area, although you can always walk downhill going there and splurge for a taxi back or at least a taxi to the nearest transit center. Metro's trip planner can help you with specific directions.

Edit: Space Needle, I'm sorry for recommending this, it's oh so touristy, but the food, while hit or miss in past years, is fantastic now. I went for lunch this past New Year's Day with visiting relatives and the fish and chips was to die for. Lunch is kinda expensive, but at least it includes your elevator ride and you'll have full bragging rights when you return home. It's like the Eiffel Tower in Paris, you can't not go there.

Last edited by HometoGeorgia; 08-12-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
In the Pike Place Market is a place called Jack's Fish Spot. You can buy fish to take home and cook there, but they also have a seafood bar there with about 10 stools where you can eat very fresh seafood, from crab to fish and chips to seafood salads to an amazing tomato based ciopinno seafood stew. It's not insanely cheap, and the menu isn't huge, but considering that a lot of local seafood houses charge 30 bucks just for the entree alone, it's a good deal, the seafood is very fresh and good. Service is a little snarly, but that's part of the experience.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Thank you for the awesome recommendations. I saw a picture of Salty's on Frommer's website and was definitely intrigued. Even though the Space Needle is a tourist spot, I do have to try it at least once. I also love the idea of eating the seafood right at the market. Never even thought to look into that. Thanks so much! I'm going to try all these places out!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Oh, and I'll probably end up eating seafood everyday I'm in Seattle. Our "seafood" in TN just isn't doing it for me anymore. Yuck. I'm looking forward to the real stuff.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Blue Acre is nice for date night. Everything I've had there has been delicious

Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Seastar. John Howie is a prophet
How to Cook a Wolf. Ethan Stowell is an awesome disciple
Lowell's in Pike Place Market, if you're into Sleepless in Seattle. Sit at the bar and pretend you aren't the 5 millionth person to re-enact "tiramisu" while looking out over the bay.
Etta's. Tom Douglas's original restaurant
Dahlia Lounge: Tom Douglas's 3rd or 4th restaurant, and home to the best crab cakes you'll ever eat in your life.
The Crab Pot. You get to smash crap and eat with your hands while out on the water
Salty's Alki. Views that are hard to top
Maximilien. The place that does manage to top it.
Emmett Watson's. I have nothing catchy to say about it. It's just good food.

Edit: Just saw you plan on only eating seafood. Why is that? We're something of a culinary hotbed up here. I guarantee you that it goes much deeper than our fish.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 PM

291 posts, read 689,112 times
There are 3 great seafood restaurants in Seattle that I like. They all are classy and the type of place where you will experience the best that Seattle has to offer. These are locals spots and not tourist spots so you should go where the locals go. They are Salty's, The Waterfront Seafood Grill, and Palisade. Palisade is my favorite. It is by far the nicest. Salty's might have a better view but it's in West Seattle so it's not as convenient. You can ride the water taxi over there and then maybe take a cab back or you might be able to take the water taxi back to Downtown Seattle. They have a limo that they use for customers. Maybe you can get that for free. The Waterfront Seafood Grill is really good but it's my least favorite out of these 3 but it's the most convenient to get to. I don't exactly love the atmosphere there. I would take a cab to Palisade if I were you. Have a drink in the bar before dinner and then make sure they give you a nice window seat. You won't regret it. Go online and check out all 3 places.

Last edited by FantasyFootballGuy; 08-13-2011 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Had to correct some mistakes.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Edit: Just saw you plan on only eating seafood. Why is that? We're something of a culinary hotbed up here. I guarantee you that it goes much deeper than our fish.

I won't really be eating only seafood, it's just a big favorite of mine and we don't have any really amazing places for it where I live. I also love Italian and any kind of deli or salad shop. I just figured the seafood would be the best thing to get advice on. Thanks for all the tips!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
Best seafood in Seattle ??? Seattle is the city with the best seafood, period. However, I had some of the worst seafood, too. Don't try seafood in the RAM at Northgate.
Actually we discovered a resturant that had the best seafood we ever ate and that was by accident as we were passing through Carlsbad in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area