Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 PM

80 posts, read 193,040 times

Advertisements

I moved to Seattle this summer from a very warm place that hardly gets any cold weather. As such, I don't really have a winter wardrobe.

Now that the cooler weather seems to be settling in for the season, I need to do some serious clothes shopping.

So give me some ideas. What are your must-haves for surviving winter in the great wet northwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Just layer up and have a good rain jacket. Good shoes that can handle the rain are a plus too. If you are unfamiliar with layering up, it just means adding another layer of clothing until you are comfortable. I dress similarly as I do in summer, except I may have longjohns and wool socks on underneath and a long sleeve shirt and a fleece over the top of a t-shirt.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:12 PM

304 posts, read 850,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerbun View Post
I moved to Seattle this summer from a very warm place that hardly gets any cold weather. As such, I don't really have a winter wardrobe.

Now that the cooler weather seems to be settling in for the season, I need to do some serious clothes shopping.

So give me some ideas. What are your must-haves for surviving winter in the great wet northwest?
A knit cap that covers your head well from the rain, a raincoat that is preferably fleece lined, a thick coat that you would wear on Mammoth Mountain because temperatures can drop to the 20s here during the winter, a couple pairs of long socks, rain resistant boots or shoes and a good pair of gloves. Coming from Southern California you might want to ad long johns to that list. You guys get very cold up here. Whatever you would take on a trip to Tahoe, that's what you would want to have in the back of your closet here.

Notice that I did not say "umbrella." It rains so much during winter that you will get tired of carrying an umbrella around. Locals don't use them here. Only tourists carry umbrellas in moderate rain in Seattle. Umbrellas come out here in big storms so an extra large one makes sense, not a little tiny cute California umbrella.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 PM

I'm actually from FL and not SoCA, but these are good suggestions. Keep them coming!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:57 AM

507 posts, read 1,669,051 times
I've been walking to work all winter, one mile each way, and I can only recommend the layer approach as well. Just make sure your top-layer is water- and wind proof. I actually do quite like to carry an umbrella, simply because when it's raining hard and you're walking for a mile your trousers get soaking wet which is not a nice feeling In winter I mostly wear gore Tex shoes and a rain jacket but I don't wear waterproof trousers (too much hassle to change into something presentable once I am in the office), so the umbrella comes in handy.

For next winter I'll also purchase some 'traction device' for my shoes, something like Yaktrax. Last winter I was literally sliding down Denny Hill when we had snow and ice, I don't even want to know how many people broke a leg slipping on the sidewalk during those few icy days...

Old 10-02-2011, 06:32 AM

84 posts, read 229,417 times
i've been where you are! i moved from FL to seattle (back in fl, though) and i froze my butt off in august!
layer, layer, layer. get a lined raincoat. and waterproof boots/shoes. scarves and hats. wool socks.
i am not kidding. you will get used to it, but your first year you will freeze. oh, and don't swim in the water. my husband did that once. for about 2 minutes. it's not like the warm bathwater here in FL. lol

Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
A knit cap that covers your head well from the rain, a raincoat that is preferably fleece lined, a thick coat that you would wear on Mammoth Mountain because temperatures can drop to the 20s here during the winter, a couple pairs of long socks, rain resistant boots or shoes and a good pair of gloves. Coming from Southern California you might want to ad long johns to that list. You guys get very cold up here. Whatever you would take on a trip to Tahoe, that's what you would want to have in the back of your closet here.

Notice that I did not say "umbrella." It rains so much during winter that you will get tired of carrying an umbrella around. Locals don't use them here. Only tourists carry umbrellas in moderate rain in Seattle. Umbrellas come out here in big storms so an extra large one makes sense, not a little tiny cute California umbrella.
You got the umbrella bit right. Real Seattlite's don't carry umbrellas. It's only the 'sissy' tourist's that do. Of course, living near Broadway, I see people coming out in the middle of winter with their shorts on, so I would say we are pretty 'macho' when it comes to weather. This means, to be a REAL Seattlite, forget a winter wardrobe, just come as you are, rain or shine. However, if you like to ski, then you might want to add to your wardrobe.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Ha, as much as I'd like to keep wearing my summery skirts and dresses and sandals, I was freezing my butt off yesterday! Time for a change.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM

19 posts, read 40,198 times
I moved from Nashville, TN
2 first winters, I used my wool coats when it was cold, but last winter I was fine with a rain coat and a light sweater underneath. Jeans should be fine.
Some people wear flip-flops all year round
I think, the most important piece of clothing in Seattle is a windproof and rainproof hooded jacket. I never understood non-windproof hoodies.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,496 times
Hi everyone,

I just moved here from Wisconsin about 2 months ago, so I haven't seen what winter weather is like here in Seattle. I usually walk to work in SLU from Belltown (a little less than a mile), and I've only walked through one rainy day. One thing I noticed when I walked through the rain was that my pants were soaked. I have a water resistant jacket, and I layer so my upper body is fine, but my lower body gets wet.

So my question is, what do you do to keep your pants dry?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area