Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 AM

6 posts, read 10,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le-Le View Post
What type of employment are u seeking?
thanks for the info and personal experiences, i'm kind of used to black people being cliquish, it was like that pretty bad during my early college days and still is like that to a certain extent now. but if my own won't accept me i'll just look elsewhere lol, i don't really deal with all that saddity stuff. my major is in management with a minor in contract management, i'm hoping to co-op or get an internship before i graduate so i can have some experience in my field. i'd like to work in the government contracting arena as i previously majored in logistics, i heard there was a market for government jobs out there but the market is highly competitive. statistically seattle is one of the "smartest" cities in the country and a degree doesn't seem to hold as much weight out there as it does here (even though a college degree seems to be decreasing in value nationwide)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 05:26 AM

253 posts, read 571,508 times
I'm not black, but I am from S. Alabama (Atmore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
One big problem ... no Waffle House and no real good barbecue
Yeah, but the Denny's have bars in them.

Agree about the BBQ situation. Also everyone up here refers to grilling out, even if you are just throwing a steak on as BBQing. I'm doing my part to try and explain that BBQ is a distinct style of cooking, not just a catch all for cooking over fire but it's hard.

Original Poster, got any specific questions about life up here? It's kinda a broad subject.

Oh, yeah, college football sucks up here. There are Husky and Cougar fans, but it's nothing like Auburn/Alabama.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 PM

16 posts, read 25,673 times
I'm in the same demographics as the OP and I'll be moving to Seattle next month from Dallas. I'm very spiritual as well and I hope to meet to people that share the same views as me.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
I wouldn't go so far as to suggest there's no good BBQ in Seattle. You will have to look harder for sure, but it's around.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 10,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
I'm not black, but I am from S. Alabama (Atmore).

Yeah, but the Denny's have bars in them.

Agree about the BBQ situation. Also everyone up here refers to grilling out, even if you are just throwing a steak on as BBQing. I'm doing my part to try and explain that BBQ is a distinct style of cooking, not just a catch all for cooking over fire but it's hard.

Original Poster, got any specific questions about life up here? It's kinda a broad subject.

Oh, yeah, college football sucks up here. There are Husky and Cougar fans, but it's nothing like Auburn/Alabama.
haha, you know that's one of the first things that crossed my mind, was how much i'll probably miss watching the SEC. do they show SEC games up there or do you have to get one of those special football packages? also, coming from bama how was the weather transition?

Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM

240 posts, read 534,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbEsco View Post
haha, you know that's one of the first things that crossed my mind, was how much i'll probably miss watching the SEC. do they show SEC games up there or do you have to get one of those special football packages? also, coming from bama how was the weather transition?
Well, we do have ESPN up here.

Seriously, if a game is on ESPN or national TV, you'll get it here. You probably would have to pay extra for an SEC package, although I get the Big Ten Network on DirecTV without paying extra for it. Haven't explored the SEC network (is there one?) so I'm not sure if it's the same with that.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 AM

50 posts, read 83,742 times
Hey OP

First off, GO FOR IT. I'm a guy in my 30s, and the best thing I ever did for myself was to move far away from where I started. I understand your feelings about where you are a living now.

I am in Phoenix and going to move up to Seattle here soon. I lived up there some years ago for a short period, and I think I'll move back there now. I liked it.

You are going to need a job. Have a plan in place BEFORE you get there. Know what places you plan on hitting up for work before you go, and maybe even make some contacts before you get there.

In my research, I had read about some of Seattle's history with regards to racial groups. Seems like it's mostly white up there, but you've got a good local culture.

You might also consider Phoenix AZ, Denver CO, and SF Bay area, but I'd warn against SF bay area due to the job situation right now. For the same reason, stay away from San Diego.

Phoenix is okay if you can deal with the heat and lack of rain.

Denver is actually pretty nice, and I made more black friends (I'm a white guy) there than anywhere else I've ever been. Nice downtown. Not good job market for my particular line of work though -- too many unemployed tech guys there.

Planning is key to moving. I don't know if you've ever made any big moves before, but if not, get some advice on that too before you try it. Could save you a little learning it the hard way.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbEsco View Post
Luckily the SEC is the premier conference in the nation so a good chunk of our games are televised Nationally. However if you want all the games you're gonna have to either splurge on ESPN GamePlan (at least that was what it was called when I bought it) or find a neighborhood bar that has it. That's what I did after the first season. It really only comes down to a few games a year that you want to see that won't be televised.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to suggest there's no good BBQ in Seattle. You will have to look harder for sure, but it's around.
Maybe I just haven't been to the right spots or I'm overly discriminating but the only half decent BBQ I've had was some hole in the wall place we stopped in on our way back from Monroe this one time.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM

368 posts, read 695,732 times
The CBS SEC contract is national so you get that game every week plus the ESPN games of course. I'm not thrilled with the bbq up here and have looked for over a decade. I like Pecos Pit, and Jones is okay, but doesn't compare to the South. The best bbq I've had here is East of the cascades, but not in Seattle. When I run into other people from the South we all also miss thunderstorms. Sounds strange, but you don't get many in the Seattle area, and something you live with in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area