Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 PM

6 posts, read 8,296 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from NC to Seattle. We plan on visiting first to check out some neighborhoods. I am trying to get some information together first. Our situation is we have 3 children, two are already in school, so looking for a decent school district, also a lower crime rate. We are looking to rent something to start with and would like to stay around $1500.00 a month for a 3 bedroom. I have heard bad things about everywhere so far I have researched but I know this is all partial on opinion. Something close to a public commute would be great, we are selling his vehicle and only moving with one. Also I know living in the south people are very conservative, I am saying this and am going to ask how are opinions on people in the Seattle area on tattoos, do they inhibit the ability to get jobs? My next very random question would be if tattoos arent a problem, any recommendations on a good shop? I am hoping people their are going to be more open, and their jaw not hit the floor. Thanks for the time you are taking to read this and everyone's opinion is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 04:52 PM

54 posts, read 68,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas.wil View Post
Also I know living in the south people are very conservative, I am saying this and am going to ask how are opinions on people in the Seattle area on tattoos, do they inhibit the ability to get jobs? My next very random question would be if tattoos arent a problem, any recommendations on a good shop? I am hoping people their are going to be more open, and their jaw not hit the floor. Thanks for the time you are taking to read this and everyone's opinion is appreciated!
Its a major city on the West Coast - as long as you don't tattoo your face, you'll generally be fine. Heck, I think for Portland, they check to make sure you have at least one tattoo sleeve on your arm before they let you cross the city borders.

You are moving from a retrograde cultural longing for a return to the 19th century to the bleeding edge of the continent welcoming with open arms the 21st century. Your only problem will be not passing out from the future shock when you first get out West.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas.wil View Post
We are looking to relocate from NC to Seattle. We plan on visiting first to check out some neighborhoods. I am trying to get some information together first. Our situation is we have 3 children, two are already in school, so looking for a decent school district, also a lower crime rate. We are looking to rent something to start with and would like to stay around $1500.00 a month for a 3 bedroom. I have heard bad things about everywhere so far I have researched but I know this is all partial on opinion. Something close to a public commute would be great, we are selling his vehicle and only moving with one. Also I know living in the south people are very conservative, I am saying this and am going to ask how are opinions on people in the Seattle area on tattoos, do they inhibit the ability to get jobs? My next very random question would be if tattoos arent a problem, any recommendations on a good shop? I am hoping people their are going to be more open, and their jaw not hit the floor. Thanks for the time you are taking to read this and everyone's opinion is appreciated!
What areas have you researched so far?

Agreed, as long as you're not tattooed in the face, you're good. We have lots of shops. I got mine in Capitol Hill's Laughing Buddha which is a pretty popular place to get tats and pierced. The other that comes to mind is Ancient's in Renton (s. 3rd st)... my friend's dad said that's been there since he was young (30+ years).

Old 11-21-2011, 05:43 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
I agree - the tattoos will be no problem. Your problem might be the disjoint requirements of good schools and a rental house for $1500/mo. You will find there is a direct correlation between rental prices and schools - the more you pay, the better the schools. I'm not an expert but guessing $2500/mo for a 3 br house in a good school district.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Default Areas of interest

We have looked into Renton and Kent, along with Tacoma. I've just more noticed the schools are bad, nothing much on crime. I just dont want to live like where we do now, someone gets shot or stabbed on a weekly bases at least. Just recommendations on some areas would be great, thanks for the tat shop ideas. And nope no tattoos on either mine nor my husbands face! Thanks for the info.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
... With Renton and Kent, the better areas and better schools are towards the east. As for Tacoma, I would recommend University Place instead-- safe area, good schools and not too far off from DT Tacoma. The 1500/mo... for SFH? or are you open to apartments as well? Odds are better with apartments.

Violent crimes isn't the norm here.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 PM

Default Response

I am open to Apartments also, either one would be fine, I am sure the kids might benefit from some apartments that offer a playground or whatnot. Thank you for all your help thus far.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
As far as Renton, the best schools are the ones not in the Renton school district. Most of the eastern part of Renton is in the Issaquah school district,some of southeastern Renton is in the Tahoma( Maple valley) district, and some of south Renton is in the Kent school district. Kent schools aren't particularly good, but the schools in Renton that are in the Kent school district tend to be much better than most of both Renton's and Kent's schools. Try figuring that one out. I can't.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM

11 posts, read 22,435 times
I'm single in my mid 40's. I have no kids and never married. I'm tired of Springfield, Illinois. I'm looking for a cheap, safe one or two bedroom apartment. Is there an area known for digital media creativity? I had a career in electronic media production for several years until 2001 when I was laid off, and ever since then there has been nothing here but part-time minimum wage service jobs ($8.24/hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area