Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 PM

28 posts, read 84,526 times

Advertisements

We are from Seattle but lived in Dallas for two years ('07-'09). I don't miss the heat or flat landscape. Though I went to Dallas kicking and screaming, I have fond memories of the place. We lived near White Rock lake and I miss Central Market a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM

17 posts, read 31,678 times
I will miss chick fil a, whataburger, and knowing everyone.

I WON'T miss humidity, seaweed, DOW, mosquitoes, june bug infestations, giant wood roaches, 100+ degree days 90 days of the year, not having breathable air or drinkable water. the list goes on and on...

What do you LOVE about Washington though?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:15 PM

47 posts, read 134,692 times
You asked what I love about Seattle. I am better able to say what I don't love about Seattle (after living here for almost 40 years). I don't love the liberalism. I don't love the traffic. I don't love the long, rainy, cold, damp winters. I don't love the cost of housing. I find the city to be less friendly than it used to be.
I DO love the summers (which typically don't start till July, and are over by September). I DO love the views of Mt. Rainier (when you can see it through the clouds). I suspect I will find other things I will miss after I move away, but hard to think what right now.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 PM

159 posts, read 428,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
We moved into what we thought was a beautiful house just east of San Antonio. What we failed to realize was a landfill was 1 mile west of us, and directly across the main highway from us was a waste-water treatment plant. On excessively hot/humid days, it was unpleasant to say the least, to be outside.
I lived in the northeast for most of my life, but moved to the Austin/San Antonio area to get married and go to graduate school. One of the most off-putting things about Texas was their seemingly complete lack of zoning laws; how you'd see a factory pop up right next to a neighbrohood, or a beach in the shadow of an oil refinery.

The other thing about Texas is that there is a real lack of taste when it comes to a good portion of the housing. Adobe and ranch-style are far, faaar too common. Many of the houses don't have basements (why, in God's name, would you not have a basement in tornado country unless the water table was too high? And where, other than east Texas, is that the case?).

Something else that was off-putting were the constant access roads. In the northeast, when you want to get off a highway because you need to use the bathroom or get something to eat, you wait for the next exit, look at the signage, and then go your merry way. In Texas, the routine is 1) spot a sign for something you want to go to, 2) innevitably drive past it, 3) exit at the next interchange, 4) wait on the ubelievably long lights to go under the highway, 5) go back along the opposing access road, 6) wait on the lightcycle again at the previous interchange, and finally, 7) drive back along the first access road to get to your destination. I found this design both infuriating and a wholesale eyesore. In New England and Pennsylvania and New York and Maryland etc., we hide our highways from view. In Texas, they are the jarring centerpiece of horrible sprawl.

But by far the worst thing about Texas was the culture. I was always 'that yankee' who was stealing a Texas girl away. Texas was always the best looking state in the union; always first in everything. If something was done elsewhere, it was done better in Texas, or not done at all because it was stupid or uncouth. Talk of somewhere else was akin to treason.

In the northeast and, particularly, New England, there is a sense of shared bonds between adjoining states. Now, true, there is a good deal of homerism, too, but New England is a region, with a regional capital, and is very non-insular (and I think most people from the area would agree). Texas is something unto itself -- an almost pseudo-nation -- and there is a lot of pride, much of it in inferior things. The first time I was prompted to swim in the mudwater of the Gulf near Baytown I was like 'really?' To which the chorus of replies was that it was the best beach anywhere. I mean, Jesus, hasn't anyone from Texas every been to, like, Clearwater, FL or something? Not only was that Texas beach one of the dirtiest beaches I've ever seen, it could hardly even lay claim to being the best Gulf beach.

So, yeah, Texas was one of only two places I have ever deeply regretted moving to. I'd clap anyone on the back who was willing to put it in the rear-view mirror, parcticularly if they're choosing to move some place that is actually strikingly beautiful like western WA.

Last edited by ShrikeArghast; 03-26-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
I lived in the northeast for most of my life, but moved to the Austin/San Antonio area to get married and go to graduate school. One of the most off-putting things about Texas was their seemingly complete lack of zoning laws; how you'd see a factory pop up right next to a neighbrohood, or a beach in the shadow of an oil refinery.

The other thing about Texas is that there is a real lack of taste when it comes to a good portion of the housing. Adobe and ranch-style are far, faaar too common. Many of the houses don't have basements (why, in God's name, would you not have a basement in tornado country unless the water table was too high? And where, other than east Texas, is that the case?).

Because the state, at least the central part where you lived is on solid rock and the cost of digging a basement would add about 30K onto the price of a house. People install storm rooms if they are worried about tornado risks.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
So, yeah, Texas was one of only two places I have ever deeply regretted moving to. I'd clap anyone on the back who was willing to put it in the rear-view mirror, parcticularly if they're choosing to move some place that is actually strikingly beautiful like western WA.
That would be me!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 PM

70 posts, read 206,738 times
Lived for 10+ years in Houston and 3 in Dallas.

Miss:
- Mexican food. There is not one good restaurant here, dont let the locals tell you there is, nothing compares to Tex-Mex. Seriously. Say adios to Chuy's and Lupe Tortilla.
- Heat. Feeling warm. I am cold all the time. I'm not even warm in the summer, because it's not hot here. Highs at the peak of the summer are below 80. Look at city-data weather charts. I miss sweltering hot days where you jump in the pool and drink icey margaritas and can feel the heat penetrating your skin.
- Being a 2 hr plane flight to Mexico. Now it is a whole day to travel to Cancun and Hawaii is too expensive, so we just suck it up.
- Nice people. People here are cold and not as friendly, they avoid eye contact, dont open doors for you (even as a pregnant woman) and dont say hi like people in Texas.
- Attractive people. There are very few attractive people here and I would guess that most attractive people are from out of state. Most locals are very 'granola;, they dont wear makeup, dont care about clothes, wear north face vests and keen shoes. It isnt a stylish place to live. My mom and dad say that they can spot Washingtonians on the plane when they come to visit, because they look rugged, rough and mountainy.

Don't miss:
- huge bugs, roaches, ants. I rarely see bugs here.
- Brown and flat scenery. You cannot beat the beauty of Washington. It's breathtakingly beautiful. Texas is so ugly (minus the hill country in Austin). Washington is the exact opposite of TX in that sense.
- Concrete and highways and billboards. Yuck. Washington has much more scenic highways.
- Not having anywhere to go. We made a Washington bucket list and it is pages long. There is so much to see in the Pacific Northwest. In Texas, once you've gone to San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Galveston/Padre, you are pretty much out of things to do...unless you like hunting, which I don't. We have a wine country up here and tourist attractions galore.
- obese people (sorry to be blunt). It seems that people are much more health conscious up here and I rarely see any obese people. Texans dont get outside as much as Washingtonians do, IMO.
- The houses. Texas houses are the worst. Huge massive mcmansions with no character. They all look the same and they pop up like weeds. Yuck! That's exactly what I dont want in a home.
- The attitude. People in Texas seem to think that Texas is the greatest place on earth and they think if they own a mcmansion, that they are rich and high and mighty. I dont see that same superiority complex up here...people are more practical up here and less showy.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
AddieJane,

I do not live in Seattle but have spent quite a bit of time the last 2 summers. You bring lots of good points, especially the lack of eye contact in Seattle. You also bring up lots good points about the beauty of the area and things to do.
Good post! Also the staying warm part. Even though I enjoy the cool temps when I visit in the summer, I am not sure if I would enjoy it year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area