Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM

41 posts, read 84,689 times

Advertisements

Sorry for ALL my questions that flood this forum

* How much cost per/hour a cleaning lady for cleaning and ironing ?
(One cleaning lady can do both or a cleaning lady "clean" and a "ironing" lady iron ?)

For example :in Paris, a cleaning lady does both and is paid 15$/hour.

* How much cost a car insurrance (in average) for a used car ?

* What are the most known departement store for buying a TV or electronic stuff or the most known internet website to buy a TV (with good prices of course)

I know those in Paris or the most interesting websites in France but... a little bit farway to ask them a delivery to Seattle

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
(One cleaning lady can do both or a cleaning lady "clean" and a "ironing" lady iron ?)

$15/hr is pretty standard. There are websites where you can hire maids, like maids.com or something like that. Angie's List also has lists about recommended maids, but Angie's list has a monthly or yearly subscription fee.

Car insurance depends on who will be driving it. For me, my car insurance is roughly $110 / mo, but I drive a sports car. I doubt yours will be that high for a used car.

* What are the most known departement store for buying a TV or electronic stuff or the most known internet website to buy a TV (with good prices of course)

There's a ton of department stores for buying a TV. Best Buy is a large nationwide company. So is Fry's. There's a specialty store called "Video Only" that advertises the lowest prices and only "expert" reviews but I haven't shopped there.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 PM

How much cost per/hour a cleaning lady for cleaning and ironing ?

$15/hr is pretty standard. There are websites where you can hire maids, like maids.com or something like that. Angie's List also has lists about recommended maids, but Angie's list has a monthly or yearly subscription fee. [/quote]

We do have the same but agencies where you hire are much more expensive : quite double per/hour (because agency takes 50% of the payment).

Car insurance depends on who will be driving it. For me, my car insurance is roughly $110 / mo, but I drive a sports car. I doubt yours will be that high for a used car.

No I want a big american car (sorry but it's part of my "cliché" about US)

There's a ton of department stores for buying a TV. Best Buy is a large nationwide company. So is Fry's. There's a specialty store called "Video Only" that advertises the lowest prices and only "expert" reviews but I haven't shopped there.

Thank you very much. I think it doesn't worth moving our large TV LCD because it cost a lot to make it cross the ocean

Thank you for your answers

Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Car insurance is going to vary greatly, depending on various factors. You are only required by law to get liability coverage (i.e. if you hit somebody, and it's your fault, the other guy's car will be covered but not yours). So you can reduce costs by going liability-only. Also by taking a high deductible. But keep in mind that Seattle is pretty bad for vehicle theft/break ins, which will not be covered under liability-only.

I am not expert in this field, but I'm guessing a ballpark estimate would be $500-1000 per year for auto insurance. I have Pemco (Seattle based company) Insurance and have always been very happy with them. They're not the rock-bottom cheapest, but if you do have an accident they are excellent to deal with. You could call them and see if they can give you an estimate based on your needs. 1-800-467-3626. Whenever I call they have always gotten me to someone quickly and answered my questions competently.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris-Seattle View Post

No I want a big american car (sorry but it's part of my "cliché" about US)

I am not sure about Paris but I lived in Ireland where there were very narrow streets. Most people had compacts as these were easier to navigate on those streets and much more accommodating for street parking. If you are used to driving a small car, I would recommend starting with a nice mid-sized. Size really does matter.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Car insurance is going to vary greatly, depending on various factors. You are only required by law to get liability coverage (i.e. if you hit somebody, and it's your fault, the other guy's car will be covered but not yours). So you can reduce costs by going liability-only. Also by taking a high deductible. But keep in mind that Seattle is pretty bad for vehicle theft/break ins, which will not be covered under liability-only.

I am not expert in this field, but I'm guessing a ballpark estimate would be $500-1000 per year for auto insurance. I have Pemco (Seattle based company) Insurance and have always been very happy with them. They're not the rock-bottom cheapest, but if you do have an accident they are excellent to deal with. You could call them and see if they can give you an estimate based on your needs. 1-800-467-3626. Whenever I call they have always gotten me to someone quickly and answered my questions competently.

Thank you I'm gonna print that and put it in my "Seattle book" with all the pertinents answers I get here

Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris-Seattle View Post
Sorry for ALL my questions that flood this forum

I know those in Paris or the most interesting websites in France but... a little bit farway to ask them a delivery to Seattle

Thank you all
Believe or not, we used to have a Bon Marche ! I don't know if it was connected with the one in Paris, but Macy's took over it and was then called Bon Marche Macy's. Now it's just called Macy's. But Macy's, just like Bon Marche in Paris would be a good place to look for housewares, etc. For maid service you will probably have to pay a lot more then in Paris. Unless you are very rich, most people don't use maids, so that is out of our realm.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
But Macy's, just like Bon Marche in Paris would be a good place to look for housewares, etc.
Especially if you want to pay way more than you should, Target, Costco, Wal Mart, Best Buy and Fred Meyer are all much cheaper choices IMO.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Someone bought us an iron as a wedding present 5 years ago, but we've never taken it out of the box. I'm not sure why you'd need to iron anything unless you're going on job interviews all the time.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Someone bought us an iron as a wedding present 5 years ago, but we've never taken it out of the box. I'm not sure why you'd need to iron anything unless you're going on job interviews all the time.
I had the same reaction as you! I haven't ironed anything in years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area