Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

The commute is not that much different, and I really would suggest reconsidering upper Queen Anne for better schools and very nice restaurants and shops within walking distance, also a lot less crowded.
Opinions may vary but I think of it as more urban than the quieter areas of Capital Hill. I would also expect Capital Hill to become more crowded as the light rail connection is completed there in about 3 years and it becomes even more popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 AM

21 posts, read 179,162 times
Thank you for your help/opinions. I'm glad to hear that the commute time isn't much different if we choose Queen Anne. Queene Anne seems like the safer choice, since we don't know too much about Seattle. We'd prob pay extra for a parking space somewhere-if possible. What is most important is that we can walk to a grocery store, restaurants and a gym. For our lifestyle, those are the necessities we'd want that would make sharing 1 car possible. We're from outside of NYC and we have lived in Washington, D.C. and London...so it's like someone said "it's all relative." Some of the neigborhoods we explored right within Seattle felt way too suburban for us. I think growing up near Manhattan just gives you an entirely different idea of what "city life" is. But, I do value a street with some trees...which is nearly impossile in some cities.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
I would tend to disagree with the commute times to the Eastside from Queen Anne being about the same as from Capitol Hill with the caveat it depends on where you are. If you are way up on Queen Anne hill, the drive just getting to I5 can be tortuous. I have a friend on N Capitol Hill who can be on I5 in two minutes, 520 in four minutes.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:01 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
I've lived in upper QA and now live in Cap Hill (near Harvard/Belmont), and my commute from Queen Anne to Bellevue could take almost twice as long as it does from Cap Hill.

However - it wasn't unbearably long. But I did really come to resent Seattle Center, Lower QA's messed-up one-ways, Mercer St, the Gates Foundation and Amazon. There is realistically only one way from QA to the eastside and that's navigating the Mercer cluster Moderator cut: language. And now it must accomodate thousands of new employees that really don't have any other great options for neighborhood access either. It actually doesn't take as long as it feels, but it's really freakkin' irritating that it takes as long as it does, and when there's an event at Seattle Center - ugh. If you live there - I'd just say try to avoid peak commute times. I admit - it was a relief to move to Cap Hill and I'd pay more to stay here and avoid traffic through SLU and lower Queen Anne.

Having vented about my main irritation with QA (and getting in/out is really the only one - it is a lovely neighborhood), I must say it had much more of a family vibe than Cap Hill does. I'm not saying the Hill is devoid of kids by any means, but QA seemed to have more families. It's got a neat shopping area that's pretty walkable while still feeling pretty residential. However to childless me Cap Hill has more going on, more amenities, more shops, more restaurants, just as walkable (if not more), better transit, and FAR better access to the rest of the Seattle area while also having tree-lined streets. You do have to be a bit more knowledgable to pick the part that fits you best, but I will have a hard time living anywhere else now that I've lived here. I'm not tobester's friend, but I concurr that I can realistically get to I-5 in 2 minutes in the morning and can be on 520 in 4.

FYI - my commute to Bellevue (near 520 & 148th Ave NE) takes me 15 minutes in the am and 25 minutes in the pm (taking 520). However I work from 7-4, so peak times take a bit longer. Commute times from QA were more variable but took 30-50% longer. Typically 30% longer in the morning, and 50% longer in the afternoon. Afternoons are likely faster now with tolling though...

Last edited by Count David; 03-26-2012 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
My suggestion that it's not much difference in commute time is not based on taking the Mercer Mess and 520, but going down to 99 then taking I90, or even Denny to I5 S to 90.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
When I moved to Seattle from DC Capitol Hill was my choice at Belmont and Harrison. I worked in dt Bellevue and refused to live in the suburbs. The Capitol Hill to Bellevue commute was pretty easy compared to my nw DC to Tysons Corner commute. What I love about CH is its endless amenities. Supermarkets, coffee shops, restaurants, stores, parks, nightlife, the library, excellent public transportation, hospitals. Everything is a short walk away, right in the heart of the city. Also I know a few couples with kids who have children attending the local CH elementary school. They love it. CH is an excellent choice.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM

259 posts, read 554,255 times
Have you considered the U district or North Seattle ( ie Green Lake, Roosevelt, Maple Leaf, Ballard, Phinney Ridge, Greenwood,just to name a few)? It might be benifical to try on different areas for a bit, just to see what you like/love compared to what you don't like/love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: