Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,210 times

Advertisements

There are showers and lockers as well at all Amazon SLU buildings, so you are sorted in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
The bike path along the bridge from Mercer Island is the worst part of the commute. You've got cars going very fast next to you throwing up all kinds of stuff and it's very noisy. Plus there's a chance they may close it it the next few years as they reconfigure I90 for light rail. I agree wtih Hemlock - look at Madison Park - kind of a suburb within the city - lots of restaurants and shops, good schools, and an easy (and shorter) bike commute to SLU.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Tobester's right about the bike path on the bridge itself: It's narrow and it's scary. I did it once and I think I held my breath the whole way.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:20 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
If you're looking for nationally ranked in the top tier schools, then you're pretty much limited to the Eastside. Bellevue/Kirkland area. You don't have to limit yourself to Medina, it is but a small part of Bellevue. I actually prefer Enatai neighborhood over Medina (less snooty factor). The Eastside is generally affluent, very safe, very suburban. Bellevue does have a nice (if sterile-- that's one complaint people will have) downtown core that is getting more urbanized (in a good way) everyday. Just remember our buses have bike racks on them, so if it turns out you really don't like biking over i90, then just use the bus over the bridge and bike the rest of the way. Mercer Island definitely has the best school district in the state, so your kids aren't exactly going to "suffer" there.

Bill Gates doesn't send his kids to public schools though and that's not really a reflection of the area, but his preference.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
I also ride a brompton folding bike so I just carry my bike onto the bus. At least around here, the buses only have space for 2 bikes so sometimes they are already taken.

I did some research on the bike path on the i-90 bridge. it looks like there is a bike/pedestrian tunnel also right? wouldn't that avoid the scary riding next to cars speeding close to you?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:26 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I also ride a brompton folding bike so I just carry my bike onto the bus. At least around here, the buses only have space for 2 bikes so sometimes they are already taken.

I did some research on the bike path on the i-90 bridge. it looks like there is a bike/pedestrian tunnel also right? wouldn't that avoid the scary riding next to cars speeding close to you?
Depending on the driver, bringing a folding bike on the bus may not be allowed. They get picky about those things. The tunnel you refer to is in Seattle - it connects the west end of the I90 bridge to MLK Jr Way in Seattle. On the bridge itself, you ride on the north side on a path separated from car traffic by a 4 foot high concrete berm.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I guess I haven't ridden the bridge in rush hour but my husband has and he said it's not that bad. You get used to it. He said it's the downtown traffic getting to AMZN that made the ride unenjoyable for him but he only rode when he was still in Columbia Tower. Sounds like OP is a seasoned rider...will probably be just fine on the bridge IMO.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the insight. I've ridden across the golden gate bridge many times. it's a little narrow in places but there's also a pretty big barrier between the bike lane and the cars.

I think I'll probably be fine also since I'm fairly comfortable riding around with cars as long as the drivers are used to seeing bikes around them.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the tips and info. Next step is to actually get an offer and take it from there...

RVD.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Depending on the driver, bringing a folding bike on the bus may not be allowed. They get picky about those things.
Loading your bike on the bus

It says that folding bikes are allowed on the buses, provided they fit underneath the seat and can be kept out of the aisle.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks. Not to harp on this point too much but if anyone is interested, the Brompton folding bike is great (although a bit expensive). I also have a cover for mine so with the cover on, it just looks sort of like a piece of luggage so I have never been denied entry with it (even in places that typically don't allow bikes).

If the buses allow someone to walk in with a suitcase, they'll allow me in with my bike.

But anyway, good to know that it's ok to bring anyway.

Bromptons are also nice because they fold more compact than other folding bikes (dahon, bike friday, etc.).

And no, i don't work for Brompton.

I also have a Xootr kick scooter which is convenient for trips up to around 2-3 miles.

And yeah...I do own a car now (well, I will in about 3 weeks - ordered and on it's way). But my wife and I did go with sharing 1 car for the past 9 months which was interesting in Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area