Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM

118 posts, read 261,475 times

Advertisements

look if you feel safe wondering around the grungy places in seattle at night more power to you. since youre interested in getting into a pissing contest about who has the most murders here's a fun list of notable killers from the area.

John R. Gasser, Harvy L. Carignan, James Dwight Canady, Gary G. Grant, Ted Bundy, James Elledge, Gary A. Taylor, Dwayne Elton, Daniel Yates, George Russell, Robert Lee Parker, Dewayne Lee Harris, Gary A. Ridgway, Michael J. "Cowboy" Braae

lets not forget where the D.C. snipers were from.

im sure i've missed some so feel free to chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
I guess the thing that usually surprises me about the crime in Seattle is the 'where' part not the actual numbers. I've moved around and lived in various cities of the US, and most of the time those cities had the majority of the crime in certain parts of the city that were known to be 'bad areas'. Sure those cities had something strange happen here or there in 'nice areas', but it seems (to me) that Seattle just has more of the stuff happen in 'nice areas'.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 AM

325 posts, read 787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post
Anyway just wanted to point out that a false sense of security creates easy victims.
And needlessly feeling stressed out about life causes more health problems than is necessary when the numbers are relatively low.

A happy medium is good. Always be alert, but don't obsess over it.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post
look if you feel safe wondering around the grungy places in seattle at night more power to you. since youre interested in getting into a pissing contest about who has the most murders here's a fun list of notable killers from the area.

John R. Gasser, Harvy L. Carignan, James Dwight Canady, Gary G. Grant, Ted Bundy, James Elledge, Gary A. Taylor, Dwayne Elton, Daniel Yates, George Russell, Robert Lee Parker, Dewayne Lee Harris, Gary A. Ridgway, Michael J. "Cowboy" Braae

lets not forget where the D.C. snipers were from.

im sure i've missed some so feel free to chime in.
You're from Alaska? Well why don't we check out the murder rate in Anchorage:
4.5 murders per 10,000 in 2010. That compares to 3.1 in Seattle. Looks like Anchorage is way more dangerous than Seattle!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 AM

118 posts, read 261,475 times
From washington moved to alaska, recently at that. Confused with why you all are so defensive I think the history adds character to the area.

I got to get back to studying for finals goodnight

Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You're from Alaska? Well why don't we check out the murder rate in Anchorage:
4.5 murders per 10,000 in 2010. That compares to 3.1 in Seattle. Looks like Anchorage is way more dangerous than Seattle!
Not to mention, the rape rate in Alaska is much higher.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
There are a few things beyond the overall murder rate itself which make this crime disturbing:

-The location, which is in downtown Seattle. And the fact that the victim was apparently a total bystander.

-The number of shootings in downtown Seattle this year. There has been quite a spike this year.

-The lack of arrests or suspect identifications in these cases. People are getting away with murder, quite literally.

Thirteen murders doesn't sound so bad until we remember that Seattle had 20 murders during all of 2011. So, 13 murders by the end of April is not a good sign.

And, Seattle's "competition" in terms of murder rates are the cities closest by - Vancouver and Portland, both of which have similar populations within the city limits. Portland has been in the mid-20's in recent years, while Vancouver had 12 murders in 2011 and only three so far this year (and nine in all of 2010).

So, by those measures, Seattle isn't doing so well.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Hey... even the chief and cops are confused by the spike in crime.

The all-time record is from 1994, with 69... are we on pace for that, I don't know.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Hey... even the chief and cops are confused by the spike in crime.

The all-time record is from 1994, with 69... are we on pace for that, I don't know.
I made calculations. If in a 4 month period, there were 13 murders, then the city would be on pace for 39 murders, not 69.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
There are a few things beyond the overall murder rate itself which make this crime disturbing:

-The location, which is in downtown Seattle. And the fact that the victim was apparently a total bystander.

-The number of shootings in downtown Seattle this year. There has been quite a spike this year.

-The lack of arrests or suspect identifications in these cases. People are getting away with murder, quite literally.

Thirteen murders doesn't sound so bad until we remember that Seattle had 20 murders during all of 2011. So, 13 murders by the end of April is not a good sign.

And, Seattle's "competition" in terms of murder rates are the cities closest by - Vancouver and Portland, both of which have similar populations within the city limits. Portland has been in the mid-20's in recent years, while Vancouver had 12 murders in 2011 and only three so far this year (and nine in all of 2010).

So, by those measures, Seattle isn't doing so well.
By those measures, not so well. But here is one thing to consider: Vancouver is in Canada, and Canadian cities have lower murder rates over all.

If you look at Seattle from a perspective of a national standpoint, and cities between 500,000 to 600,000 people, Seattle does better than alot of cities of similar size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area