Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes, and that was point he was making. Then he also added that the Washingtonians have done their fair sharing of bashing.

Then the argument afterwards were over the semantics of transplants/locals, then a lot of cherry-picking of comments, misconstruing comments et. c. But his point in bringing up Bill Gates... yes he was a local-- and he didn't just hire locals-- he hired transplants as well... a lot of them in fact. This all has help formed Seattle as we know it.

ETA: Yes... I know. We're talking about Xanathos here and he does make a lot of comments that rub people wrong... but some posters themselves do start arguments just because its Xanathos talking. And that's exactly what happened here.
Thanks, I missed that, I see a post of his and know insults will be hurled both ways within minutes. I'm guilty of reacting to them myself and I really try not to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes, and that was point he was making. Then he also added that the Washingtonians have done their fair sharing of bashing.

Then the argument afterwards were over the semantics of transplants/locals, then a lot of cherry-picking of comments, misconstruing comments et. c. But his point in bringing up Bill Gates... yes he was a local-- and he didn't just hire locals-- he hired transplants as well... a lot of them in fact. This all has help formed Seattle as we know it.

ETA: Yes... I know. We're talking about Xanathos here and he does make a lot of comments that rub people wrong... but some posters themselves do start arguments just because its Xanathos talking. And that's exactly what happened here.
My problem is that if he wants to lecture us on Seattle history he better have it right.

Ore mining? Nobody ever came to Seattle to gather provisions on to go ore mining...

Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No worries. Just got here and wants to give a certain impression. Look at his first posts for a better picture.

By the way, you have to define local if you want to determine if locals built this city. If you aren't counting the Indians, then the Denny Party, Doc Maynard and later Henry Yesler were all transplants who built this city. But then that would be true of every city since we're all immigrants.

If you look as recently as 1962, many of our local landmarks were built in support of the Seattle World's Fair, supported by locals like Al Rochester and Eddie Carlson among many others, but definitely a local effort. The Space Needle was privately funded for $3M but also the Monorail, the Pacific Science Center, Key Arena, etc.

The Gates are locals, Boeing was local. That's not to take away from transplants like Bezos but don't underestimate the locals either.

No one thinks they are a bad driver. Many think everyone else is. I think Seattle drivers just tend to be distracted. They are mostly mellow, overly polite and no one honks their horn. But if this thread serves as an outlet for those that get worked up about it, it serves a good purpose.
You bring up some good points...and today they could be applied to almost any city in the country...

As far as drivers...well, we have had this topic come up from time to time, and if you look you will find that it is quite a common topic, not just in the Seattle forum....but in nearly all the city forums on CD.

Personally I think most of us are not as good at driving as we would like to think...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
My problem is that if he wants to lecture us on Seattle history he better have it right.

Ore mining? Nobody ever came to Seattle to gather provisions on to go ore mining...
He clarified and said stopover. You do realize ore mining does pertain to the Gold Rush? Look into this: http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0480b/report.pdf

And we do have a history of mining ourselves, though not as extensive.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 05-30-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:

Jesus, any tourist who's spent 1 day in this town and has even taken Speidel's underground tour knows that much about the city. Develop at least a rudimentary understanding of the city's history, even if you just take a tourist stop or two and skip any actual reading.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Jesus, any tourist who's spent 1 day in this town and has even taken Speidel's underground tour knows that much about the city. Develop at least a rudimentary understanding of the city's history, even if you just take a tourist stop or two and skip any actual reading.
It was called the gold rush, not the ore rush.

Is there anything else you would like to know oh most magnificent one?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
It was called the gold rush, not the ore rush.

Is there anything else you would like to know oh most magnificent one?
What is gold housed in? Ore, since it doesn't just fall out of the sky as gold, but is rather part of a larger chemical grouping of a number of elements. What do you do in order to extract ore? You mine it.

This 3rd grade education provided by Boeing, the letter 'G', and the number 7.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:44 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Or wondering what options to get on their next Subaru.
I wonder if those Subarus come with an "I Can't Drive for Moderator cut: expletive Kit." It seems to me that there are a ton of Subaru owners who cannot seem to drive worth a damn. Nor can they seem to park! They also seem to think they can park wherever the hell they want. Oh, don't mind the visible signage showing the zone the idiot Subaru owner is parking in is a delivery truck loading zone. It doesn't matter! He/she drives a Subaru! Oh, wait, is that Subaru owner parked more than 2ft away from the curb, slanted, and all that crap? It's your problem. Not theirs! Hey, that young idiot Subaru owner is trying to get the boxer rumble, but can't manage to because the engine on their car is not a turbo charged one! It sounds like total garbage!

Boy, I get a kick whenever I see a Subaru owner in the mountains, high-centered on a snow drift, on an uneven piece of dirt road, or otherwise, and can't seem to figure out why they got stuck in the first place, or why they slid off the road. I laugh at their misfortune as much as I laugh whenever I hear about some stupid stop sign or red light running cyclist getting run over by some driver.

Last edited by Count David; 05-31-2012 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: expletive

Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM

96 posts, read 281,739 times
I am from northern NJ--an area that, by neighboring states, is considered to be full of highly aggressive drivers. If you were going under the speed limit, you would be run off the road. If you were going the speed limit, everyone was going 10mph faster than you and passing you. If you are not going 5mph over the speed limit be prepared to have someone tailgaiting you with only a few feet in between your car and theirs.

I move out here with a habit of driving very fast.

Most days people will cruise along at 10mph under the speed limit. On a "good" day people are actually going the speed limit. There will almost always be one idiot in the passing lane going 50mph in a 60mph zone. People will refuse to get over even if they are in the passing lane and you have caught up to them very quickly. People do not use their turn signals. People barely even hit 40mph on the on-ramp. I've never seen so many terrible parkers in my life (Subaru outbacks taking up two parking spaces? Really?).

Every single time I drive I see at least one person with a luxury car (BMW or Mercedes S-class) going 5-10mph under the speed limit. Those cars are built for going fast!

Seattle gives me incurable road rage. Ugh.

Disclaimer: most of my driving is east side, i-5 south, i-90 and 405.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreebby View Post
I am from northern NJ--an area that, by neighboring states, is considered to be full of highly aggressive drivers. If you were going under the speed limit, you would be run off the road. If you were going the speed limit, everyone was going 10mph faster than you and passing you. If you are not going 5mph over the speed limit be prepared to have someone tailgaiting you with only a few feet in between your car and theirs.

I move out here with a habit of driving very fast.

Most days people will cruise along at 10mph under the speed limit. On a "good" day people are actually going the speed limit. There will almost always be one idiot in the passing lane going 50mph in a 60mph zone. People will refuse to get over even if they are in the passing lane and you have caught up to them very quickly. People do not use their turn signals. People barely even hit 40mph on the on-ramp. I've never seen so many terrible parkers in my life (Subaru outbacks taking up two parking spaces? Really?).

Every single time I drive I see at least one person with a luxury car (BMW or Mercedes S-class) going 5-10mph under the speed limit. Those cars are built for going fast!

Seattle gives me incurable road rage. Ugh.

Disclaimer: most of my driving is east side, i-5 south, i-90 and 405.
Agreed, though I don't see too many irritating BMW's or Mercs. Usually on the luxury vehicle front, it's Lexi's manned by some 21-48 year old Asian woman that's either completely oblivious to everything going on around her or terrified that she's in a moving object.

I swear, if I was a cop in this area I'd win awards for the amount of traffic citations I would dole out every month - for things like impeding traffic, improper use of a passing lane, improper lane change, etc. I'd totally let the speeders go and I'd STILL bring in more ticket revenue than anybody else in the department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area