Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,941,977 times

Advertisements

The winters are insanity long. I've even begun to look at moving to El Paso to escape the winters here since its so affordable and living next to Mexico has some perks. Yes, I know the infamous city next to it, fully aware of why its infamous.

IMO, if you're over 50 years of age and have worked hard in life you deserve to live in sunny and warm place year round. Thats how life should be.

Last edited by 87112; 02-13-2019 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 10:17 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
87112 - ya ought to take a look at Alamogordo, NM, where my wife and I live. It's usually hot and sunny. Wintertime means 30's and 40's for a high, 20's and lower 30's for lows. Then, February and March start slowly warming up. Traffic is light and your money buys a nice house for $100,000 - $350,000.

Sweet living.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,941,977 times
Yeah, The area of Las Cruces,NM- El Paso area is my 1st choice to relocate to. I think Las Cruces is the absolute smallest city I would want to live in. I can cash out a home in El Paso and Las Cruces and do whatever job just to make ends meet.

Very nice homes for 150k there.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:50 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Yeah, The area of Las Cruces,NM- El Paso area is my 1st choice to relocate to. I think Las Cruces is the absolute smallest city I would want to live in. I can cash out a home in El Paso and Las Cruces and do whatever job just to make ends meet.

Very nice homes for 150k there.

Coolio, bro. Come on down, the water's fine! Use a company that provides a reverse osmosis/water purification system, though. The water's hard down here out of the tap. It's high in dissolved minerals such as calcium and magnesium. Needs a r/o water purification system. We get our service from a local provider about a block away from us.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Before I settled on Rio Rico, AZ for my purchase (and future full time home) I considered El Paso/Las Cruces. Pleasant weather, beautiful area, and awesome housing prices.

My reason for not making that move was travel to Seattle, expensive flights and very limited options. If that travel wasn't a regular necessity I would have been happy to buy down there.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Before I settled on Rio Rico, AZ for my purchase (and future full time home) I considered El Paso/Las Cruces. Pleasant weather, beautiful area, and awesome housing prices.

My reason for not making that move was travel to Seattle, expensive flights and very limited options. If that travel wasn't a regular necessity I would have been happy to buy down there.
Didn’t Alaska just start daily nonstop service to El Paso?

Old 02-19-2019, 04:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Didn’t Alaska just start daily nonstop service to El Paso?
Just looked and sure enough they did! About 8 months too late to factor my decision- but no regrets either.

It's good for others to know about.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suesmaller View Post
I've lived here for four years now, and am continually trying to find my way to So. Cal, where I grew up. Unfortunately, until recently, there seemed to be little in the way of jobs down there, so I was sort of stuck here. (I'm in IT.)

When I first moved here in 2015, I experienced the Freeze, which I think would be more aptly described as "Seattle Snide." However, I made friends quickly, on the East Side, no less.

I took a job with the County of San Diego recently and was there for three months. The difference between the two cultures is remarkable. San Diego and other coastal Californian cities are not awash in foreign money, as is Seattle. In fact, California unfortunately exudes signs of extreme poverty, which wasn't a problem two years ago. I guess every place has seen drastic changes. However, the people in San Diego are still real people in the sense that they can be friendly, outgoing, and playful. I had no problem making friends in the short time I was there.

Drivers are good there. Traffic flows along, people let you in; in general, despite the really strange signs of poverty, it's much the same as it always has been.

Then I made the mistake of coming back here. It's almost as if there is a different species living on this planet, a violent and hostile species, for which no social norms hold true. That describes the people living on Mercer Island and in Bellevue. They shake their fists if someone walks in front of their car at pedestrian walk ways, they growl and scowl in the grocery store, they are rude and extremely unrefined. Granted, many of these newcomers are from Russia and China, but I've never seen this kind of behavior before.

If you are thinking of moving to Seattle, I would give this place a wide berth, unless you are relying on the region for work. These are the most badly behaved people of any I have met anywhere, including Washington D.C.. (In D.C. we called people like this "ugly people" and "only children." However that only described a small subset of the people there.) Here there are few normal people.

I would also give this city a wide berth because there is a really hideous social upheaval here, and you will see that upheaval first-hand: extreme wealth juxtaposed against extreme poverty. I can't think of anyplace in the world I have seen that before. If you make a friend, it's likely that that friend will end up homeless and in a tent city. That is what I am seeing on a weekly basis. It's not a pretty sight.

What is horrifying is that the politicians are immune to the problem. I suppose they are somehow making money hand over fist from all of the foreign wealth. I have to admit that who or whatever has been rebuilding Seattle and Bellevue has created a beautiful new skyline. But they've also created an inhuman culture, one that not just turns away at the signs of poverty, but actively seems to abhor it. I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see the resurgence of world war II prison camps for the old, disabled, and poor.

When I was in California, I didn't get a chance to test the medical system. The medical system here is now incapable of serving middle class people, or even people who were considered well off two years ago.
I get it, you don't like affluent Chinese people. They are only tolerable in the Chinatown ghettos of California. How dare they have more money than you?

Old 10-13-2019, 03:36 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I get it, you don't like affluent Chinese people. They are only tolerable in the Chinatown ghettos of California. How dare they have more money than you?
you just described the most ubiquitous attitude in the seattle area in general
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area