Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,559 times

Advertisements

I'm fine with Californians. I wish more would move here. They are much more vivacious compared to the stoic native PNW'ers. Makes things interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 01:23 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
The Rosellini (520) Bridge, even though it is signed as such, is NEVER mentioned by that name. Same goes for the Lacey Murrow Birdge (I-90). These names are faux symbolic and only matter in Wikipidia entries. Even I-5 is officially the "seattle-tacoma freeway", but again, who calls it that? It gets even worse in Portland, where I-5 is known as the "Blalock Freeay". Huh?

Lesson to be learned...identify major roadways simply, distinctly, and to the point. On the other hand, many LA freeways are still known by geographic names, so I guess one size doesn't fit all.
Edit: I-5 south out of Portland was known as the "Baldock", not "Blalock"...just be accurate!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:37 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I haven't been aggravated by Californians. I guess that is just my personal experience.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:42 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
I'm fine with Californians. I wish more would move here. They are much more vivacious compared to the stoic native PNW'ers. Makes things interesting.
While thats a total generalization, I agree that we shouldn't hate on people who move here from California or any other place.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:02 PM

People are going to move wherever they see fit. That includes Californians. Many Californians are moving to Georgia as well as the state of Washington. Many of the Californians I talk to miss California, but live elsewhere due to the cost of living in California. My father looked at the costs to get homes or rent in Los Angeles. He admitted it was expensive and saw why Californians were moving to Georgia.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
you are so right - however many of them already there are from california. and there is one thing they cant stand, its somebody from california.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you are so right - however many of them already there are from california. and there is one thing they cant stand, its somebody from california.
I guess I have a different view on Californians because I live in the South. I have never been to California, but my father has. He prefers to be in California than Georgia because of his experiences with the people there vs. his experiences in Georgia. I seem to get along with Californians because it might have to do with my "out of state" ways. I feel like a transplant sometimes and for that reason, I seem to get along with Californians.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:24 PM

21 posts, read 61,430 times
The last time I checked this was a free country and people were allowed to move where they want. I am sorry but EVERYONE is not planning for the day they finally get to move to Seattle. Get over yourselves! lol

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM

23 posts, read 107,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
But no, they go and walk around town in a bikini and plant palm trees all over the place. Weirdos.
hahaha! Loved that last sentence. Too funny!

Honestly, Californians or anyone else moving to Seattle, should be looked at as a positive thing, no? People are leaving CA in droves and that's a sign that our state is failing, if it hasn't already. So what choice do we have? We want to move to a place that is better off. With more opportunities to work or start a business and hopefully create more jobs for other residents of Washington.

So if the reason why some don't like Californians is because they're afraid Washington will turn into the next California, then just learn from what the Ca State legislature did to make this all happen in the first place, and then do the exact opposite. Because really, our state has failed, Ca state representatives are incompetent.

But what would you rather have: People leaving Washington for other states that have a better economy? Or people moving to your state because they see it as a more stable and positive place to live?

We're all just looking for a better life. Not all Californians enjoy the Californian lifestyle and yes we can assimilate.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Excellent viewpoint. The days of Californians moving north to "re-create" CA here are over. There is a reason they move here, and it isn't to create an LA -north. It is indeed quite the opposite. I say welcome them, and be open to their ideas on how they can "do it better" here than they ever could in CA. In that regard, things have taken a "180" from 25-30 years ago. Those locals who hate the southlanders need to re-evaluate and understand that the dynamic has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area