Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times

Advertisements

I've pulled up a list of licensing offices, but thought you Seattle experts might know if one is better/easier/less busy than others. Also, do I have to have an emissions test before I go in? It's not really clear on the website. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
The place you get your driver's license and the place you register the vehicle are not the same place. To get the driver's license, there aren't a ton of places out there, and they all suck. Bring a good book. The nearest one to you is on N 85th St, just east of Greenwood Avenue. If you can get there early in the AM(just when they open) that will be easier. These are the state run nightmares, where you get to spend a lot of time sharing a huge waiting room with the teeming masses of humanity. To speed things up a little, you can "pre apply":
WA State Licensing: Pre-apply online for your first WA driver license or ID card

The places to register the vehicle and get WA tabs are more numerous. They're mostly privately run and smaller than the places you get the driver's license. You still may have a wait there, but it'll be faster than the place you get your driver's license.There's one around 58th? and University Way, the University Licensing agency. The same rules apply. Early in the day is best, midweek is best.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The place you get your driver's license and the place you register the vehicle are not the same place. To get the driver's license, there aren't a ton of places out there, and they all suck. Bring a good book. The nearest one to you is on N 85th St, just east of Greenwood Avenue. If you can get there early in the AM(just when they open) that will be easier. These are the state run nightmares, where you get to spend a lot of time sharing a huge waiting room with the teeming masses of humanity. To speed things up a little, you can "pre apply":
WA State Licensing: Pre-apply online for your first WA driver license or ID card

The places to register the vehicle and get WA tabs are more numerous. They're mostly privately run and smaller than the places you get the driver's license. You still may have a wait there, but it'll be faster than the place you get your driver's license.There's one around 58th? and University Way, the University Licensing agency. The same rules apply. Early in the day is best, midweek is best.
Thanks, Ira. I guess CA is at least doing something right with the DMV appointment system. Out there you make an appointment and get in and out in 15 minutes. Hopefully there will be a new Angry Bird Seasons out soon to help me pass the time!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:23 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I've pulled up a list of licensing offices, but thought you Seattle experts might know if one is better/easier/less busy than others. Also, do I have to have an emissions test before I go in? It's not really clear on the website. Thanks for your help!
Lynnwood! There is no traffic at all in the area where they test your driving abilities.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Lynnwood! There is no traffic at all in the area where they test your driving abilities.
Thanks. I think I can just exchange my CA license, though. Doesn't look like I need to take a test.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,187 times
Bellevue (the one on Bel-Red road, is there any other?) DMV office was nice and not too busy, hmm 2 years ago.. Then for the licensing office the one on Roosevelt way NE was just empty (mid morning on weekday) when I went there and they were really nice and helpful (we had never received the paper that says you are the owner of the car due to an address change).

Old 11-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2sea View Post
Bellevue (the one on Bel-Red road, is there any other?) DMV office was nice and not too busy, hmm 2 years ago.. Then for the licensing office the one on Roosevelt way NE was just empty (mid morning on weekday) when I went there and they were really nice and helpful (we had never received the paper that says you are the owner of the car due to an address change).
Fantastic, thanks!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Surprisingly, downtown was fine for me. I was in and out in under 30 minutes for both. Then again, it was a Wednesday around 2pm in June...

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When we moved here you had to take it to the State Patrol office for verification of the vin# before you could register the vehicle, don't know if they still require that. I like the Issaquah office for the car registration, and if a smog test is required there's one just down the road at eastgate in Bellevue. Any vehicle over 5 years old gets tested every other year, and I thought out-of-state cars get tested when they come in if over 5 years old. The DOL website should have all that info.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
The licensing office on market st in Ballard has been great, they helped me with some out of state title issues I'd been dealing with.

I had to go downtown to get my WA license after moving back.

One thing- if you don't have a passport, there's a license you can get that let's you into Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area